PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a male dogs name???

Tom Henry
08-19-2007, 9:31 PM
I know there are many dog owners out there and you know what it is like naming one...:confused: My family has been without a pup now for 3 years after having to put down my Dalmation "Riggs". Now we are looking into purchasing a Golden Doodle and are going back and forth with names and not agreeing on one. Please help out...

I think this is going to be a good thread...:D

Greg Peterson
08-19-2007, 9:47 PM
Personally, the last thing I do with a new pet is name it. I usually wait until a good name comes up or the pet tells you what its name should be.

Dogs don't know their name. They don't even know words. They understand the tone of your voice. Try saying a dogs name with a tone you use for something else. And change the syllable you accent too.

If I say Go for a walk in my normal cadence and tone, I am locked in and committed with no turning back. If however I say Go for a walk in the same cadence and tone I would use to ask the wife to get me a glass of water, the dog doesn't even raise an eyebrow. If I utter gibberish in the tone and cadence I use for when I say Go for a walk, we are going for a walk.

Gary Keedwell
08-19-2007, 9:48 PM
How about "Creeker" ?

Gary K.:)

Rob Bourgeois
08-19-2007, 9:50 PM
"Chaos" or "Havoc"

Trust me...they are appropriate.

Mike Langford
08-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Post us a picture if you can, Tom!

Sometimes it helps to see the critter first.......Then the appropriate name might be obvious! ;)

Tom Henry
08-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Here is the one...

Mike Langford
08-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Here's a picture of my dawgs.......

They're named.....BUCK, PICKETT, and SNAG !!! :p

Mike Langford
08-19-2007, 10:27 PM
....Looks like SAWDUST to me!

Wes Bischel
08-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Oliver - just looks like it would fit. Don't know why.

Randy Denby
08-20-2007, 1:21 AM
Looks like a "Dee Fer".........D fer Dog. What I named my old weiner dog.....and he was quite the ladies man. I have a whole neighborhood of his off spring now. :D

Doug Shepard
08-20-2007, 5:22 AM
Here is the one...

For some unknown reason, he looks like a Baxter to me.

Gary Whitt
08-20-2007, 8:26 AM
For some unknown reason, he looks like a Baxter to me.
Q F T !

:D

Glenn Clabo
08-20-2007, 8:48 AM
Looks like Bubba to me...

Doug Shepard
08-20-2007, 8:55 AM
Q F T !

:D

??? Boy I had to consult the acronym list for that one. I got
QFT = Quote For Truth ???

That wasn't much help. Does that mean you like it or hate it?

I dunno. Something about that face just looked like Baxter to me.

Gary Whitt
08-20-2007, 9:19 AM
Love it.

Baxter is a great name for a pooch like that.

Kent Fitzgerald
08-20-2007, 9:34 AM
Here is the one...
Great looking pup! I think he's either Otis, Grover, or Brewster (Brew for short).

We're likely getting a Doodle next spring and we're not far away (Allentown area), so any breeder tips would be welcome. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Kent

Jim Podsedly
08-20-2007, 9:40 AM
Looks like a Toby to me. :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2007, 9:50 AM
I have a twisted sense of humor when it comes to dog names.

I name a sweetheart of a pup like a Lab things like:
SATAN or BAAL or BEELZEBUB, or Becky. I have a thing for Becky Quick. It'd be kind of cool having her fetch my slippers.

Henk Marais
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I also like Baxter. It looks like it would suit him.

My big boy's name is Oliver - We believed, and was correct, that his life would be an adventure; so he was named Oliver Twist.

Mike Langford
08-20-2007, 11:00 AM
...Ashcroft...Bowser...Cornwallis...Dudley...Edmon d...Foster...Goodfellow...Henry;) ...Imus...Jaz...Kolbert...Linus...Masher...Nemo... Oz...Paxton...Quigley...Razor...Salty
...Titus...Underdog:rolleyes: ...Vic...Wooster...Xplay...Yazzy...Zinser...

Tony De Masi
08-20-2007, 11:03 AM
While in college our campus priest had a golden whose name was Damit. It was quite a shock the first time I saw the priest out in the yard calling for the dog to come back to him:D " come here Damit!!!!"

Tony

Dan McGuire
08-20-2007, 11:47 AM
We just went through the same process, got a puppy two weeks ago. We had a lot of spirited dinner conversations with the kids as to what name we would like to tag our newest family member with. My only rules were no people names, nothing to "cute", like buttercup and had to be something easy to repeat.

We ended up with Mugsy, or the full name of Mugsy Mayhem, puppy of doom. (my son is big into super heros so thats how that came about)

Good luck, puppies are a handful

Dan

Tom Henry
08-20-2007, 5:03 PM
My wife was thinking Harley or Murphy. I like Guinness.

Al Willits
08-20-2007, 5:29 PM
We went with Leather for our male, but whatever you chose make sure you can yell it comfortably, makes training easier

Al...

Doug Shepard
08-20-2007, 6:34 PM
My wife was thinking Harley or Murphy. I like Guinness.

Eek!:eek: Not another Harley. I know 4 of them (3 male, 1 female). That name gets used way too much for dogs. He sort of looks like a Murphy though.

Ben Grunow
08-20-2007, 7:45 PM
Timber, gable or rafter but maybe not stud.

Jim O'Dell
08-20-2007, 8:16 PM
For obedience training purposes, a 1 or 2 syllable word for a name is best, and must start with a hard consonant. My boy is Dalton.
Best name I ever heard for a dog was Crash. Of course the name fit the dog. :D We do have a bitch who's registered name is Coolmeadow's Twist And Shout, call name Tas (pronounced Taz). Man, does she ever fit her name. Should have turned her loose on Tyler when he was here :D :D :D . Jim.

Brent Dowell
08-20-2007, 8:16 PM
My older Lab's full name is 'Indiana Bones, Duck Dog of Doom'.....

Tim Morton
08-20-2007, 8:34 PM
Looks like a "fred" to me....:cool:

Peter Lyon
08-20-2007, 8:39 PM
I don't really have any good ideas for a name but thought that I should mention that my family and I will be picking up our first puppy on Labor day weekend -- and it's also a Goldendoodle! :)

We selected a female. So far, we've narrowed down our choices of names to Lilly, Ella, Emma.

John Shuk
08-20-2007, 8:55 PM
I guess you don't want to follow Steve Martin's example from the movie "The Jerk"

Gary Whitt
08-21-2007, 3:55 PM
What?

Name the dog "Navin" ?

:D :D

HAND

Dave Fifield
08-21-2007, 7:44 PM
"Puddy"

It's just the first name that came into my head as I looked at his picture.

Cheers,

Rich Stewart
08-21-2007, 8:03 PM
I don't know what kind of dog you have Greg but my mini schnauzer knows lots of words and it don't matter how I say it. I can whisper spell W-A-L-K to my wife and the dog goes nuts. He knows a bunch of words. Is my dog special?

Rob Wright
08-21-2007, 8:22 PM
I know that some people don't like "human" names, but I love it when I introduce (or when he introduces himself:D) my dog "Bill". I always get a chuckle from people and my hunting buddy - you guessed it - Bill - always keeps asking. "what? every time I call for him to come It was a small joke on him! Anyway - I love human names, and when (if) I get mad at him he gets the "WILLIAM!" treatment.

You have a great looking pup, and whatever you end up with I am sure he will enjoy being in your family !

- Rob

Tim Brooks
08-22-2007, 7:58 AM
We had a fella who prepared water for the football team in high school who named his dog "Bitch" (it was a female). Like the other person who told of the priest, we were completely caught of guard the first time we heard him call for his puppy.

I think my favorite name for a female dog is "Gracie". Worked very well for training purposes as she was the best trained dog I have ever owned. As for a male name, how about "Ezra"? He was a great leader and teacher. Or maybe "Boaz". He was considered a hero. Plus either are easy to say... I have more history on these names if you are interested PM me.

Just my thoughts.

Gary Whitt
08-22-2007, 5:31 PM
We had a fella who prepared water for the football team
Adam Sandler :cool: :D

Tom Henry
08-22-2007, 9:02 PM
We are still up in the air and so far its 3 against 1 for Harley. I am still not sold on the name. I tried Timber but they weren't going for it.:D

Jim Brecker
08-22-2007, 9:25 PM
Dog?

Old John Wayne movie. That was his dogs name

Doug Shepard
08-23-2007, 5:11 AM
Dog?

Old John Wayne movie. That was his dogs name

I knew someone in high school that named their dog the same thing. Only it was DeeOhGee (D.O.G.), a big standard poodle. The cat's name was SeeAyTee (C.A.T.). Maybe he thought his critters could spell too?

Keith Beck
08-23-2007, 9:39 AM
After seeing the picture, the first name that popped into my head was "Jabba the Hut" or "Jabba" for short.

For some reason, I also think of Alfred Hitchcock. How about "Al?" :D

Keith

Phil Sanders
08-23-2007, 10:26 AM
....for Harley. I am still not sold on the name...
If I may suggest to add a "K" to make the name Harkley.

There are soft and hard consonants in the English language. I don't know why, but I was told by a dog breeder that dog names with a very hard consonant in them make it easier to call a dog with a voice of displeasure.

You can get your back teeth in to a name like Harkley. Just try it yourself, "Get Back here Harkley" vs "Get back here Harley."

Phil

PS: for AKC registration: Hercule (Her-'Kul) d'Hen-rey -- From the Fictional character by A. Christie

Rich Stewart
08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
How about Sport?

Randal Stevenson
08-23-2007, 3:08 PM
I always joked about naming a dog after Steven Wrights routine. Stay.

Come here, stay, come here stay!

My last dog, and my parents new one are adopted, they came prenamed.

She looks like a Goldie to me.

jeremy levine
08-23-2007, 3:31 PM
We went with Leather for our male, but whatever you chose make sure you can yell it comfortably, makes training easier

Al...

This also applies to naming children :) And if you have more then one practice yelling all the names in a row ( while on your hands an knees picking up toys).

Steve Clardy
08-23-2007, 4:10 PM
Woofer :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

Forrest Price
08-23-2007, 7:12 PM
Ok.. I'd have to go with Sam, the Yankee Doodle Dog.