PDA

View Full Version : YAY! I'm in the game!

Darren Null
08-19-2007, 8:39 PM
Well that wasn't easy. A second-hand laser engraver; 10W; in a different country. Repossessed.

So. When I finally managed the transport (second time lucky), it came with a rotary thing, an extraction unit and a compressor. No manuals, software drivers, leads for anything, and the laser unshipped. I was in deep s**t (that's snit, of course- it made me unhappy).

Thanks to you fine folks at SMC, I did my first burns today. They were, of course, the first scribblings of a child....but tomorow will be better and by Wednesday I will be dead professional.

Thank you.

EDIT: Really thank you. I do, of course, have some dumb questions:

1) What happens if you miss the thing you're burning? I presume the bed of the engraver is specifically chosen to not reflect the beam straight back up the tube and blow up your laser, but confirmation would be nice. I haven't dared test it.

2) Is there a benchmark test for laser engravers?

Tom Majewski
08-19-2007, 9:13 PM
Nothing will happen if the laser hits the bed. It's aluminum or steel and you'll barely see an etch mark.

I don't know of any benchmark tests. I'm sure there's one out there somewhere. Usually folks just do an A/B comparison between different laser models. There is a laser power meter I've seen. I forget how much it costs.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Tom

Stephen Beckham
08-19-2007, 9:15 PM
Darren,

As common practice - I do not hit the deck with laser at full power. Yes, I have done it, but not very often and when it happened, not for very long. I haven't seen any problems yet.

Lately I've covered my deck with scrap paper to help block the holes for better airflow - not necessary, but makes me feel better and helps hold down the tiny items. If I took a picture of them and posted, you'd see some wholy paper - and I'm not talking religious paper either... paper that looks like my teenager's blue jeans...

There are laser power meters that you can buy that will allow you to measure the actual power at given points. I haven't found the need for one yet. But they are out there and you can give it a shot.

Happy Las'n! :D

Craig Hogarth
08-19-2007, 11:05 PM
If there is a benchmark, it'd be the aztec calendar.

There's a link to download it here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52460&highlight=mayan+calendar

Rodne Gold
08-20-2007, 2:33 AM
You should cut 1/8th thick pex with your mercury at about or greater than 1% speed and 100% power if its 10 or 12 w , you should be able to get a reasonable frosting on pex at about 70% speed and 100% power.
Anodised aluminium acts as an absorber of laser energy , so a sheet of black anodised on your table bed will work. The bed itself wont reflect back as it too is aluminium and is not polished.

Darren Null
08-20-2007, 7:11 AM
Thanks. I thought that it'd be the case that it's fairly safe but not particularly recommended to hit the bed. Knowing that takes a little of the terror (if not the annoyance) out of missing whatever I was aiming at.

I like that aztec calendar. Thanks for the speed/power settings- the ones in the manual seem to be a little on the conservative side.

I have also learned:
..to drop the bed between jobs so as not to thwack the head against the next bit (no damage done, fortunately)
...bread doesn't autofocus.
...stone needs to be really smooth.

Playing with rotaries is the order of the day, I think.

Jim Watkins
08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Darren,
One thing from a relative new commer myself,
When it comes to AUTOFOCUS, I don't use it. In fact I am debating on taking the plunger out. While it is a great tool, I typically like to do it myself so that I know it is done right and in the right spot.

my 2¢