PDA

View Full Version : Cherry cracking.

GLENN THOMAS
08-19-2007, 8:34 PM
I was just wondering if cherry is more likely to crack than other woods. Recently I acquired some cherry and have tried to turn a few things with it, but everything cracks. I worked with the cherry just like I did many other types of wood that did not give me these problems. Im wondering if Im doing something wrong. I did notice the first time I cut into a piece of cherry that it was really really wet, in fact I could feel the water from it being slung into my face. I thought perhaps this had something to do with it. Just taking a wild guess Im thinking maybe fruit wood is has more water in it because it has to support fruit.

Any thoughts ???

GT

John Shuk
08-19-2007, 8:39 PM
Cherry is a tree that typically grows up with quite a bit of stresses. It can help to look at what part of the tree you are using. Branch wood or wood from a less than straight portion of the trunk could have more issues than others. I'd try to turn pieces green ASAP and hope for the best. You may want to wrap it in Newspaper to slow the drying process as much as possible.

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2007, 9:05 PM
Glenn when I turn Cherry, I rough it out and I always leave fruit wood just a little thicker than normal when roughing. I will leave like a 10" bowl 1" thck. It then it goes into DNA immediately. After about 48 to 72 hrs I take it out and let it flash dry about 20 minutes. I then wrap in brown grocery bag and cut a opening in the bowl part. I then sit upside down on a cooling rack from Wal-Mart. I have had pretty good luck doing this.

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2007, 9:40 PM
Glenn - I have had mixed results with Cherry. Most of my bowls turn out really nice (and I use the same DNA method of drying as Bernie) but it seems almost all the spindle work cracks while it is still on the lathe! Just tried an end-grain hollow form out of what I thought was dry cherry - sure enough it cracked while still roughing it out on the lathe. I think it has more to do with a particular piece of wood than anything else. If it is going to crack - it's going to.

Patrick Taylor
08-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Just keep your wall thickness consistent and try to control the drying rate. As others said, it depends more on the piece than the species sometimes.

Tom Keen
08-20-2007, 9:02 AM
Cherry is my favorite turning wood. I soak the rough outs in DNA for a 24 hours, and air dry for a day..somewhere I can watch them. If they are going to crack they will real fast. I zap the emerging cracks with thin CA then wrap the blank in newspaper. I leave the paper on until it no longer feels damp..usually a couple of weeks. Then dry for another month or two.

T.

Frank Kobilsek
08-20-2007, 9:03 AM
Glenn,
When I have had rouble with Cherry there has always been sap wood left on the piece. I don't know if that is the reason or coinsidence but that is my expereince.
Frank

GLENN THOMAS
08-22-2007, 9:04 PM
Ive read about DNA but never tried it. Guess its time to take on something new. Thanks for the help.

GT