PDA

View Full Version : new lathe is in place and works!

keith zimmerman
01-25-2004, 10:12 PM
My NEW Jet VS mini is now in it's new location in my apartment "studio" which began life as a walk-in closet and it works. What a wonderful machine. I managed to scrape a small bowl out of a blank I had handy.

attached is a shot of my new "studio".

keithz

John Weber
01-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Very Cool!

John

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 10:47 PM
I kinda like how the stand helps this great machine fit where ever you need it to be. A big bench wouldn't work well for your studio and make the room harder to clean.

Now...get cracking! We want to see pictures of spinny things!

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 10:56 PM
That's pretty neat, Keith! Just goes to prove that, where there's a will, there's a way! Let's see pics of finished product(s)! :cool:

keith zimmerman
01-26-2004, 1:18 AM
I forgot to mention that this space is 54" wide and 37" deep and the Jet mini is a perfect fit. That and my grinder/wolverine will fit just fine in it.

keithz

P.S. here is a shot of the first bowl I did on it, just to do something with what I had. It is 3 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" tall, is ash, and has one Minwax Tung Oil Finish on it so far.

Terry Quiram
01-26-2004, 7:10 AM
Keith

Glad to see you up and running again. Does it get kind of hot in your studio? :D

Terry

keith zimmerman
01-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Terry wrote: Does it get kind of hot in your studio? :D

No Terry, it doesn't. There are double bi-fold doors that open the full width of the space. :)

keithz

Steve Inniss
01-26-2004, 5:32 PM
Keith,

Nice bowl, that particular Ash is very different.

It's not white Ash, do you know?
Did you harvest it, is it partly spalted?
Steve

Julie Wright
01-27-2004, 7:00 AM
Hey Keith,

Now that you are up and running time for a trip to woodcraft to get your Pen making supplies !! :) Your lathe is PERFECT for making Beautiful Pens ! ;)

My NEW Jet VS mini is now in it's new location in my apartment "studio" which began life as a walk-in closet and it works. What a wonderful machine. I managed to scrape a small bowl out of a blank I had handy.

attached is a shot of my new "studio".

keithz

keith zimmerman
01-27-2004, 1:48 PM
Keith,

Nice bowl, that particular Ash is very different.

It's not white Ash, do you know?
Did you harvest it, is it partly spalted?
Steve

It is possible that it is partly spalted. The tree this wood came from was dead and very carpenter ant ridden. A friend of mine had it taken down and we salvaged quite a bit of it. I have no idea how long the tree stood there, dead as a rock, before he had it cut down.

keithz

keith zimmerman
01-27-2004, 1:51 PM
Hey Keith,

Now that you are up and running time for a trip to woodcraft to get your Pen making supplies !! :) Your lathe is PERFECT for making Beautiful Pens ! ;)

Julie, my plan it to initially continue making weedpots, potpourri pots, and get into making small lidded boxes; all to be sold in a small gift shop. As I gain from the experience, I will probably branch into making other things too.

My first plan, though, is to get used to having a good lathe and just using it.

keithz

Mark Singer
01-28-2004, 1:04 AM
Keith,
Great set up ...it has a good vib! I know some nice work will flow from your studio.