PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Fit ballpoint

Grant Wilkinson
08-19-2007, 7:41 PM
I was about to turn my first Perfect Fit pen, but the bushings are puzzling me. The only bushing that is the right size for the upper end of the barrel is the bushing that also is the right size for the top of the cap. If I load the blanks on the mandrel so that the cap and barrel share that bushing, the pen is loaded strangely. Meaning, that the cap is turned end to on the barrel.

I've checked the bushing kit and it seems to be correct.

Can anyone advise on how they load this kit onto the mandrel?

Tks much

Ken Fitzgerald
08-19-2007, 7:43 PM
Grant...from whom did you purchase the kit and bushings....I'll go to their website and look for instructions to see if I can make sense out of it.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-19-2007, 8:10 PM
Grant...if that is a Berea Hardwoods Perfect Fit pen...they have a pdf file on loading that mandrel at their website. Hope this helps!

Grant Wilkinson
08-19-2007, 9:52 PM
Ken

It is the Berea kit. The problem is that the instructions don't match the bushings.
They show the normal two bushings per blank. The bushing kit, 14B, comes with 5 bushings, two shoulder and three non-shoulder.
Of the three non-shoulder, two have inside diameters the same as the mandrel. The other's inside diameter is the same as the outside diameter of the upper tube.
This is similar to the flat top pens.
The smaller shoulder bushing is right for the filial end of the cap. The larger shoulder bushing is right for the center ring end. (So the cap is covered.)

This is a tenon pen. So, the largest of the non-shoulder bushings can be used to slide over the tenon, if you choose to cut the blank to size rather than parting in later on the lathe. (This is what I do with the flat tops.)The bushing slides over the tenon to protect it and give you your dimension. The the larger shoulder bushing goes into the tube and butts up against it.

The two remaining non-shoulder bushings are a mm different in size. The smaller is the right size for the nib end of the barrel. The larger does not seem to be for anything other than a spacer.

Now (finally ;)) my problem. There is no bushing that matches the diameter of the tranmission holder that presses into the lower barrel. Except the filial bushing. It is perfect.

However, the only way to be able to use it for the barrel is either to turn the two barrels separately, or reverse the cap on the mandrel so that the filial end is in the centre of the mandrel. That way the lower barrel can share the bushing.

Berea does not mention that issue at all.

It just seems like a weird way to load the blanks to me, since you do not get to see the line of the entire pen.

The Berea site says nothing.

I put my question on a Canadian site and the reply was to use the largest non-shoulder bushing for the non-nib end of the barrel. That does not work for two reasons. One, its outside diameter is too big. And, two, its inside diameter is too large for the mandrel.

Clear as mud?

Patrick Taylor
08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Yikes! I say if the bushings don't match the sizes called for in the instructions, call Berea for a new set of bushings! :)

Rich Souchek
08-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Grant,
I was doing the same thing Saturday night on the comfort pens.
As you stated, there are too amny bushing for the pen.
Also, my bushings were for a "B" size pen rod, not the "A" size rod that I had.
Got the B rod, then measured the bushing and the nib, collar, centerband, ad the clip end. Measured the bushings, and then pu the pen section & bushing on the B rod to suit. They pen looks good and the finished pieces fit the hardware.
Yes, it is a pain in the rear measuring everything and matching up, but mine worked out.
Hope yours does. If they don't, would return them for another set.
Rich S.

Grant Wilkinson
08-20-2007, 5:47 AM
Tks, Rich

I can make these bushings work, by loading cap onto the mandrel "backwards". That is to say, by putting the centre band end closest to the head stock. That way, the lower barrel can share the bushing for the filial end of the cap.
It's not a big deal, really. It's just not the way that Berea shows it on their site, and I find it weird, since I can't see the line of the pen flowing from the filial end of the cap to the nib end of the barrel.

Stan Cook
08-20-2007, 8:27 AM
I put my question on a Canadian site and the reply was to use the largest non-shoulder bushing for the non-nib end of the barrel. That does not work for two reasons. One, its outside diameter is too big. And, two, its inside diameter is too large for the mandrel.

The largest non-shoulder bushing is the tenon bushing. The smallest non-shoulder bushing is the nib bushing. The non-shoulder bushing in between those two is for the transmission end. Use calipers to compare its diameter to the trim ring on the transmission coupler. If it is not the correct size, then I would contact the place where you bought the bushings.

Grant Wilkinson
08-20-2007, 9:51 AM
Stan
Tks much for this.
I confirmed this morning that I am missing the bushing for the upper end of the barrel. It should be a 12mm bushing and I do not have one of those.