PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions - Stubby 750 Lathe

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 9:44 PM
As eluded to in some other threads, I just "upgraded" my lathe to something I've been drooling over since the AAW symposium in Providence RI back in 2002...the Stubby 750. LOML's comment was, "How many lathes does that make?" Sheesh. Good point. 'Shoulda' bought this the first time around, but "who knew..."?? :D

Manufactured by Omega Tool and Engineering Pty Ltd in Australia, this unique machine offers a lot of versatility. Well known turner John Jordan is the prime importer and sales outlet for the US, although Craft Supplies and a woodturning concern on the left-coast also import the machines now. There was no question I would buy from John, however, and his version is slightly different than the stock machine with a little shorter bed and the Jordan name in the casting.

This is a 750 lb tool, yet it was easy for one person (moi) to unload from the crate and assemble in the shop. I had it delivered to the "local" Roadway terminal and they loaded it onto the pickup with a boom. This saved a bunch of money as residential delivery is costly and in my case, difficult unless they can use a straight truck due to the driveway configuration. By completely disassembling the machine while de-crating, I was able to lift everything unassisted. The heavy cast iron base-structure was the heaviest, but going from the tailgate to the top of the router table just inside the door was not problem at all.

Assembly took about four hours, including time spent cleaning protective coatings that keep rust away in transit. Due to the shipping company knocking the center foot off the pallet/crate, there was some minor paint scraping, but no damage to the machine.

First Impressions - Pro:

1) This is a quality tool...very heavy and well designed.
2) The stand itself is well over 225 lbs and is rock-solid. It's important that it be assembled perfectly square as the heavy cast iron of the lathe can still distort under it's own weight and cause the centers not to line up
3) With swing up to 30", this machine can handle projects that many other high-end machines require expensive additions to accommodate
4) The unique sliding ways and auxiliary bed allow for a huge amount of versatility. While this is primarily a "short bed" lathe best suited to bowl and vessel turning, it can also handle spindles up to 34" long through reconfiguration of the bed and aux bed
5) The Stubby comes with two tool rest bases which can be very convenient when working with large objects, both wide and long
6) This is one of the only machines on the market to have a vacuum port on the headstock that eliminates the need for expensive rotary adapters, etc. Just screw in a 1/4" NPT fitting, connect to your vacuum system, drive a wood plug in the outboard end of the hollow spindle and your're ready to go!
7) The 2hp VFD motor has plenty of power and two ranges; 0-1200. and 0-3300 rpm. Switching ranges is quick and easy by simply opening the heavy hinged top of the headstock, losening the motor and moving the belt over to the other pulley combination. A remote start/stop switch with a magnetic case is standard and there is an emergency stop that is easy to reach with both one's hand and one's knee

First Impressions - Things I'd like a little different:

1) The knockout bar hangs up in the hand wheel on my unit
2) The speed control is low on the machine and in a less convenient spot than I am used to. It would be better to have this control up higher where it is easier to see and less prone to catching curls, chips and dust

Pictures

1) The great arrival
2) Stand Assembly
3) Headstock installed
4) Motor Installed
5) Ready to go!

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Wowza! He who dies with the most toys......<G>. Hey, nice machine! All that mass and assembly done solo. That's pretty decent! Mine truly looks like a toy compared to that one. No...Wait.... *YOU'VE* got all the toys! Sheeeeeshhhh. Sorry I lost my head there for a minute. Really, I'd be happy with the "little" one you just got rid of! I see by your other post that you've already taken it for a spin (sic). Lookin' good. I can't wait to see some of the BIG stuff coming off that unit! Have fun! (Like you really need me to tell you that, huh?!) :cool:

John Weber
01-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Jim,

Sweet! Gary Hern had his at Ray Thompson's Indiana get together last year. An awesome machine, you are going to rival Miliunas this year with all these big iron gloats. 750 lbs thats good for one guy, I move alot of iron myself and a PM 90 is about my limit - it's all about leverage. One question, the moblie base looks a little flimsy? Is it a shop fox 1200 lb base? I'm sure it's fine just a little small under all that iron.

John

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 10:28 PM
One question, the moblie base looks a little flimsy? Is it a shop fox 1200 lb base? I'm sure it's fine just a little small under all that iron.

It's a Vega "machinery mover" base and rated for 800 lbs. I also had it under the OneWay 1018 which was at about 600 lbs with ballast in the base. I've decided it's a temporary accomodation with the Stubby after turning today as it gets in the way of my feet when hollowing. It's also a "chip trap" that makes cleanup more difficult. Once I have the new cyclone/compressor closet built in a couple of weeks, I'll be moving the lathe to a new space I'm creating just for it and contrary to "normal" in my shop, the mobile base is going to come off and the tool will remain stationary.

John Weber
01-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Jim,

The lathe and stand are just so massive, the mobile base just looked to small. I'm sure it will love it's new home.

John

Anthony Yakonick
01-25-2004, 10:35 PM
You just had to be different, do you know how many white machines are in this area? Just wait till the next BWT :D ( I say next because it doesn't look good for tomorrow :( ). Good deal Jim, now you can work those larger pieces.

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 10:39 PM
you are going to rival Miliunas this year with all these big iron gloats.

Oh, puleeeeeeze John! Not even close! Heck, he had me beat with the SS MiniMax jointer/planer. Add the MM16 and now this little fella' and he's so far ahead, I wouldn't stand a chance! BUT....in the popular sport of one-upmanship, it's hovering around zero degrees out there and I was in a short-sleeved shirt in MY shop most of the time today! So there! :cool: (OK, some of that may have been partially due to scrubbing off rust on my latest iron, but still.....) :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 10:43 PM
You just had to be different...

So, like...I should change just to make all those other folks happy? Conform to the norm? Say, "Baaahhaaahhhh"?? Naaaa!! :D They will all just have to deal with it.

Seriously, I have turned on the "big white machine" a number of times and did not find it comfortable. I also have a space problem in my shop and having a great short-bed lathe that can also adjust to do spindles when I need it to without taking up a ton of room was a plus. Otherwise, I would have considered the Poolewood, OneWay 2426 and PM3520A more closely. The Stubby was the best choice for my needs.

John Weber
01-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Cool, I still need a sweatshirt in the shop. I think your molder might be the best gloat for awhile, but Jim does have you beat on the BIG IRON. See my MS post.

John

Wolf Kiessling
01-26-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm sitting here slobbering like some demented puppy looking at that piece of machinery.

I have just got to upgrade my underpowered 3/4 hp, inadequate 12" swing, 350 lb lightweight jumping around and have to chase it all over the shop Delta.

Wolf

Jim Becker
01-26-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm sitting here slobbering like some demented puppy looking at that piece of machinery.

Exactly the effect I experienced in Providence two years ago. If I hadn't just purchased the OneWay 1018 right before the symposium...I would have ordered a Stubby on the spot, even if I had to charge it and pay over time.

Gary Hern
01-26-2004, 8:40 AM
I just hope your turning doesn't suffer as mine did. I'll bet I haven't made more than 2 dozen finished pieces on mine since I bought it a year and a half ago. Nothing to do with not liking the machine though. It'sthat silly making a living that is getting in my way! The Stubby and the remainder of the shop have felt jealous of the smaller portable tools that are constantly going in and out of it. I do like that color better than the old flat black. Looks very nice!

Gary

Exactly the effect I experienced in Providence two years ago. If I hadn't just purchased the OneWay 1018 right before the symposium...I would have ordered a Stubby on the spot, even if I had to charge it and pay over time.

Dominic Greco
01-26-2004, 9:11 AM
Jim,
Like I said in my email, I'm impressed! What a total beast (I mean the lathe, that is)! :D

Hopefully the snow/freezing rain will lay off enough so that I can get home within time for me to make the BCWT meeting tonight.

I was going to ask about the mobile base but someone beat me to the punch already. Since I'm constantly trying to find the perfect shop configuration, I'm looking to add some type of mobility to my 750lb Jet lathe assembly (includes 320 lb ballast box).

See ya,

Chris Pasko
01-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Very nice Jim, I am becoming envious of that guy now darnit =). I wish it was setup when I stopped by so we coulda "played" for a bit =).

Steve Inniss
01-26-2004, 5:27 PM
Jim,

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiic ccccccccccccceeeeeeeee!

Named it yet?

Dennis Peacock
01-26-2004, 5:33 PM
So, like...I should change just to make all those other folks happy? Conform to the norm? Say, "Baaahhaaahhhh"?? Naaaa!! :D They will all just have to deal with it.

Seriously, I have turned on the "big white machine" a number of times and did not find it comfortable. I also have a space problem in my shop and having a great short-bed lathe that can also adjust to do spindles when I need it to without taking up a ton of room was a plus. Otherwise, I would have considered the Poolewood, OneWay 2426 and PM3520A more closely. The Stubby was the best choice for my needs.

Jim,

I belive the Stubby is an excellent lathe and you made a very good choice. I saw Gary Hern's Stubby while at the BBQ in Indiana. Very well made machine and really sturdy. Now I just need to upgrade my lathe next year to something more substantial that the Jet 1236. ;)

Glenn Clabo
01-27-2004, 7:50 AM
He who dies with the most toys.......

Is still DEAD!

On my wall a work.

Chuck Norwood
09-19-2015, 5:01 PM
I am looking at a used Stubby. Are you still happy with this.

Jim Becker
09-19-2015, 8:12 PM
I am looking at a used Stubby. Are you still happy with this.

Yes. Although I don't do much turning these days, I'm glad I made the investment in this tool.