PDA

View Full Version : Creekers with Pacemakers

Paul Williams
08-19-2007, 6:46 PM
Last week I had my timing chain replaced with a pacemaker. Monday I report to the doctor's office for training on "how to live with your new pacemaker." In the literature (owner's manual) that came with the device, they mention distances to keep several normal items like cell phones and various appliances away from your pacemaker. When it came to shop equipment and portable tools the best info was basically "try it, monitor your heart rate, and step away from the tool if there is any effect."

Would be interested in input from any others who have pacemakers as to any difficulties they have had returning to their shops. Obviously not expecting medical advice etc. Just things to watch out for and/or questions to ask the doc.

Paul Williams

Michael Schwartz
08-19-2007, 6:49 PM
I know the magnetic field from the 20HP motor of a Cyclone can effect pace makers. Not sure about smaller equipment though.

David DeCristoforo
08-19-2007, 7:27 PM
If you turn it up all the way, can you get stuff done faster?

Ken Shoemaker
08-19-2007, 7:39 PM
First time I ever had a kick-back on the table saw that sent a fine peice of walnut out the shop window... Aww wait a minute... Sorry

Von Bickley
08-19-2007, 8:52 PM
Paul,

I have a defibrillator & pacemaker ( 2 in 1 ). My pacemaker is set very low and it has never kicked in yet. I don't have any problems with any shop tools that I use. I have used my tablesaw, mitersaw, drill press, wood lathe and all my hand tools such as circular saw, hand drills, impact drivers, etc.

With my defibrillator, I try to keep any motor at least 6" - 12" away from it. I can't hang around the exit doors at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. I can't go thru metal detectors at airports or court houses. I have an ID card to show them and they have to hand search me using the hand-held wand and they have to keep it away from the defibrillator. I can't use a chainsaw with my defibrillator or be around a car engine running with the hood up ???? You probably will be O.K. using any tools you have if you don't have a defibrillator.

Hope all goes well for you.....

WELCOME to "The Creek".....

Paul Williams
08-19-2007, 9:21 PM
Thanks Von
That is pretty much the same things they told me leaving the hospital. The thing that caused my post was their uncertainty about saws, drills, etc. They said no chain saws, but when I asked about table saws etc. the answer was "probably all right if you keep it away from your chest. You'll have to try it and see how you react." I am being paced 100% of the time but a temporary shut down would not be life threatening. So I guess I will experiment bit after I get past the restrictions on my arm movement.
Thanks again.
Paul

Randal Stevenson
08-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks Von
"probably all right if you keep it away from your chest. "
Paul

Paul, that is good advice for ANY woodworker, LOL. Watch the hands to! :D

Seumas McCombie
08-20-2007, 5:01 PM
Never had any problems with shop power tools or battery operated tools, simply take note of the literature you were provided with the pacemaker, but please take note of this unusual experience at a Wal-Mart store in Canada, as macduff was entering this particular store two employees were returning the shopping carts from the parking lot, a total or about 40 carts, macduff being a gentleman he stood aside to let the employees with the carts clear passage through the doors. Not knowing at the time that these carts being metal caused a huge magnetic field at the door scanning devices, macduff walked into this specific field of magnetism and passed out, interrupting the pacing, after a 9 hour stay in hospital, the pacer had to be replaced.
After confronting Wal-Mart ( "one of the Big Bhoys " celtic for a conglomerate ) the incident was swept under the carpet. macduff did observe that on a New Wal-Mart store in the area these carts are now returned by the way of a special tunnel doorway away for the main entrance, questioning this special doorway, macduff received about three different renderings of the reasons why. So be aware to see if any other new Wal-Mart stores have this new tunnel incorporated in their new construction, then it would point to macduff's incident, a big concern of Wal-Mart

Dick Heifner
08-20-2007, 7:05 PM
I have a defibrillator & pacemaker combo, had it for 14 yrs. The battery is changed out about every 4-5 yrs, on my third one now.I have never had any problem with shop tools, I used to be a Maintenance tech. The only thing that bothers me are margaretis, they knocked on my butt.
Dick