PDA

View Full Version : Harvested a Birch Root Burl, now what?

Sean Hamblett
08-19-2007, 6:45 PM
Hi,

I was working in the yard today, and while cutting down some saplings I found a grapefruit sized birch root burl. So I got my shovel out, and 'harvested' the root burl. Some background, I do not own a lathe, but I would like to know what the best way to utilize the burl would be. I don't know if
I should cut it up, let it dry out, soak it, look at it, etc. So I am posting to this boar for some insight into what others might do if they were in my shoes.

Thanks,

Sean

Ryan Cathey
08-19-2007, 7:00 PM
Have you a bandsaw? I'd cut it into small slabs (or maybe squares or veneer) and dry it out. Depending on how it looks I might be interested in a square of it.\

EDIT: By squares I mean turning blanks.

Tom Sontag
08-19-2007, 9:16 PM
Once you get into it, you'll find a grapefuit sized burl is actually kind of small. My guess is that its best use would be to turn it whole into a small box or decorative object. If you resaw it into thinnish slabs you could use them to make a chess board one square at a time; a tedious method for sure. But since you are not a turner, maybe trade it to one for some other wood?

Best to decide sooner than later about it though... I am not sure if it will stay in one piece as it dries.

Bob Smalser
08-19-2007, 9:33 PM
After you slice the burl into flitches that'll dry uniformly, pour molten wax on all surfaces to slow down the drying. The flitches will crack if left uncoated. Heat any scrap candles, canning wax or beeswax in a double boiler to melt it.

Sean Hamblett
08-20-2007, 6:52 AM
Ok, this is excellent! I do have a band saw, should I cut it horizontally or vertically, in relation to the wa the tree grew. And how thick will the wax need to be, just a thin layer, or will I need to pile it on?

Bob Smalser
08-20-2007, 9:50 AM
Strip the bark off and study how the burl grew to envision its growth rings. I'm unfamiliar with birch, but most maple and fir are sliced vertically.

Pour the wax on thick, set the flitches aside, preferably in an unheated room, for 6 months to 1 year per inch of thickness. Much burl wood is sapwood and will mold and stain if seasoned outdoors.

Sean Hamblett
08-20-2007, 9:53 AM
Thanks Bob, that is excellent information, I will put all of this to use and let you know how it goes.