PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 'O The Week

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 8:45 PM
I got the Stubby dirty today by testing it out on this ash bowl. (first impressions of the machine will be in another thread) The blank wasn't too great as it has some checks, but it was acceptable for the first work on a new and unfamiliar machine. So while the wood isn't perfect, I did a little experimentation with this bowl--the rim is burnt with a torch, the interior left natural and the exterior dyed with a dark mission brown WB dye. The piece is finished with wiped on shellac.

This object is similar to the spalted beech bowl I posted last weekend in that it has the small formal foot, but the contour is swept up in a more "modern" profile that I plan on using on some additional turnings. I guess I need to build a photo tent to get rid of the harsh direct lighting and excessive shadow...but that's a project for another day.

John Shuk
01-25-2004, 9:28 PM
Jim,
That's a real nice bowl. I'm not always a fan of the torch but it was used to the perfect effect here. Overuse kills the bowl IMHO but yours is nice. nice job with the stain too. All complimentary to one another.
John

Tom Sweeney
01-25-2004, 9:54 PM
I'm with John on this one. I've seen some burnt edge bowls that I didn't care for - but it looks great here. nice job all around.

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 9:59 PM
I'm with John on this one. I've seen some burnt edge bowls that I didn't care for - but it looks great here.

Ash is one of those species that burns well...for some reason, it really accentuates the grain and pores. I suppose oak, birch or osage orange might follow suite, but I haven't tried the technique with them. For that edge, I burned it pretty hard and then lightly sanded it with 600; almost a burnishing effect. I'm going to try this with some hollow vessels I have planned. Fred gave me a whole bunch of ash that should be the cat's meow for some nice hollow vessels and at least one will have the burnt finish.

Bob Lasley
01-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Jim,

Nice form and I like the burnt rim effect. Be leery of that Stubby. I hear tell it can latch on to a fella and keep him standing there for days! :eek:

Bob

Wolf Kiessling
01-25-2004, 11:37 PM
I got the Stubby dirty today by testing it out on this ash bowl. (first impressions of the machine will be in another thread) The blank wasn't too great as it has some checks, but it was acceptable for the first work on a new and unfamiliar machine. So while the wood isn't perfect, I did a little experimentation with this bowl--the rim is burnt with a torch, the interior left natural and the exterior dyed with a dark mission brown WB dye. The piece is finished with wiped on shellac.

This object is similar to the spalted beech bowl I posted last weekend in that it has the small formal foot, but the contour is swept up in a more "modern" profile that I plan on using on some additional turnings. I guess I need to build a photo tent to get rid of the harsh direct lighting and excessive shadow...but that's a project for another day.

A very striking piece, Jim. I've got to agree with John, the dye, burn and natural effect compliment each other beautifully.

Wolf

Steve Inniss
01-26-2004, 5:44 PM
Jim,
Very nice.
Funny thing, I made almost the exact bowl in Oak this weekend -from tree to finished in 24 hours. Although without the burning, but the design is very similar. I still had relatively thick walls(much thicker than I had originally intended), but I had to stop because it suddenly appeared to me to be PERFECT. -Steve

Fred Voorhees
01-26-2004, 6:05 PM
I was going to ask if that ash came from the Ringoes, NJ area. Nice work and I guess I will have to eventually take lessons from "The Master". :D

Fred

Mark Singer
01-26-2004, 6:07 PM
Very nice work ,Jim. Workmanship shows a lot of skill!

Jim Becker
01-26-2004, 6:25 PM
I was going to ask if that ash came from the Ringoes, NJ area.

No, this piece has been sitting on the shelf for a very long time. The piece(s) of ash I got for you is waiting outside the shop for me to get off my duff and break out the chainsaw. That stuff should be better to turn since it's fresher...

Tyler Howell
01-26-2004, 7:07 PM
Nice Jim, It's all in the new machine right?? and the hads of a master.

Julie Wright
01-26-2004, 8:40 PM
I can see that new fancy lathe turned a really nice bowl. I love the color and the burnt edge. Beautiful shape. ;)
Thanks for Sharing
:)

Kelly C. Hanna
01-27-2004, 9:06 AM
Beautiful work Jim...I love the burnt edge and the color of the finish!

Jason Tuinstra
01-27-2004, 9:52 AM
Jim, I really, really like this bowl. It turned out great.