PDA

View Full Version : Dog hole placement question?

Alan Tolchinsky
08-19-2007, 4:15 PM
Hi All, I have a small bench that's about 24"x 48" and I'm putting some dog holes in it. I'll be using these with some Veritas brass dogs and their dog clamp that you screw in to clamp the piece.

Anyway how close should I place the holes to the front of the bench? I'm not talking about spacing of the holes but the distance of the line of holes to the front of the bench. It seems like the closer to the front the easier reach you'd have to work on something. Any ideas? Thanks!

Jim Becker
08-19-2007, 4:19 PM
I did mine about 3-4" back if I recall clearly...I'll be back out in the shop in a short after my ice-tea and forum break :) and will check it for you.

Alan Turner
08-19-2007, 4:32 PM
Traditinal bench dogs are in a row, usually about 1" off the front edge, but you may be planning different uses for the LV work holders, and so there is no hard and fast rule.

Steve Milito
08-19-2007, 4:52 PM
Hi All, I have a small bench that's about 24"x 48" and I'm putting some dog holes in it. I'll be using these with some Veritas brass dogs and their dog clamp that you screw in to clamp the piece.

Anyway how close should I place the holes to the front of the bench? I'm not talking about spacing of the holes but the distance of the line of holes to the front of the bench. It seems like the closer to the front the easier reach you'd have to work on something. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'd measure the clamping extent of your vises. The holes need to be slightly less than that distance apart. In other words, space them so that you can clamp down on any board that will fit on the table. Any closer isn't really necessary.

Brian Hale
08-19-2007, 4:56 PM
I also use those "puppies" and i drilled my holes ~5" from the front edge but i REALLY wish i had put them about 2" back instead. If i were to do it again i'd most likely put 2 rows of holes at ~2" and ~6".

Also, i spaced the holes on 4" centers but i think 3" would be a better choice.

Brian :)

Alan Tolchinsky
08-19-2007, 5:47 PM
I also use those "puppies" and i drilled my holes ~5" from the front edge but i REALLY wish i had put them about 2" back instead. If i were to do it again i'd most likely put 2 rows of holes at ~2" and ~6".

Also, i spaced the holes on 4" centers but i think 3" would be a better choice.

Brian, Could you explain why you wish you'd have put them 2-3 inches from the edge? Thanks. I used to live in Rockville; isn't Cocheysville near Baltimore. Nice area but oh so crowded.

Brian Hale
08-19-2007, 7:52 PM
It seems i'm always hand planing narrow boards like face frames and the like and it'd be a bit more comfortable with it closer to the edge. Also when using a router on small narrow pieces. Having 2 rows would be handy for holding a piece that hangs over the edge.

I'm in north west Cockeysville, about 10 minutes (by back roads) from Hunt Valley Mall, the closest place i can get a gallon of milk or a 6-pack. Of cousre that's changing as farmers sell off chunks of land to developers but our section has a 5 acre minimum homesite ord. ;)

Alan Tolchinsky
08-19-2007, 9:32 PM
Thanks Brian, That makes a lot of sense about the location. I'm going to do that.

Jim Heffner
08-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I would think that the dog hole placement in your bench is really a matter
of what type of work you will be doing using them. I would put them at a location that is really comfortable for you to use on a majority of projects
usually a couple of inches (2") in from the edge is a comfortable space
for them to be....but, that is a personal preference more than anything
else. Jim Heffner