PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a Stanley 78

Dennis McDonaugh
01-25-2004, 8:17 PM
I have been making a shelf for my hand tools with hand tools. So far I've ruined a lot of wood, but I've learned a lot in the process and have even managed to make some beadboard for the back of the cabinet using a Stanley 78 and 45. The 78 has worked great except that it is hard to hang on to the front of the plane when using it. I'm thinking of having a hole drilled in the front of the plane and attaching a knob so I can get a better grip. Has anyone tried this? And if so, how'd it work? Thanks

Jim DeLaney
01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
One of my 78's has a front knob, and I find it very handy and useful. The knob on mine has a diagonal cut base and a diagonal mounting screw that goes into the hole on the front blade ramp. It's inletted on the side to conform with the 78's frame, and the one screw hold it very solidly in place. It sticks up about two inches above the frame of the saw, allowing for a very firm two-handed grip.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-26-2004, 9:09 AM
Thanks Jim, I'm taking mine down to the machine shop this week. BTW, did you use a standard stanley knob and screw or make your own?

Jim DeLaney
01-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks Jim, I'm taking mine down to the machine shop this week. BTW, did you use a standard stanley knob and screw or make your own?

Made my own from a scrap of walnut.