PDA

View Full Version : Somebody tell me I'm not crazy!

Fred Voorhees
01-25-2004, 8:08 PM
I am currently working on a trio of arbor style clothesline uprights for the back yard come spring time. But the planned project after that is what I have been referring to as a "hall tree". Now, when I mention this to others, I get a puzzled look from them. Granted, the name is not very reflective of the actual project. The piece I am intending to build is like a bench-type structure that usually has a toy-box like hinged lid opening into a storage space within the box. Rising above the box are sides that bookend a back that is usually composed of beadboard and is topped off with shaker pegs or some other similar hanging hardware for hanging coats and hats on. Am I describing this correctly? Is this piece of furniture correctly called a hall tree? I know that that is what I have heard it referred to as in the past. But then, when I hear hall tree, I think of the single post coat hanging deal with a trio of legs morticed into the bottom with shaker pegs near the top for the hanging situation. But am I right, is my planned project realistically called a hall tree?

Fred Voorhees

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 8:36 PM
Something like this?? (NYW Project # 0103)

http://www.newyankee.com/sketches/0103s.gif

Fred Voorhees
01-25-2004, 8:46 PM
Jim, that's the hall chair from the New Yankee Workshop plans section. It is actually quite like that. Picture the seat stretched out into a bench configuration, and the back composed of beadboard with shaker pegs across the top for hanging coats and hats. That is next up and I intend on picking up some nice cherry at Simmies to do the project in.

Fred

Tom Sweeney
01-25-2004, 10:13 PM
not scientific - but I googled "hall tree" & came up with both the single post style & styles like you're talking about.

Here's a pic of a nice one that was at one of the links

BTW - you're not related to a Paul Vorhees that lives in PA are you?

Fred Voorhees
01-25-2004, 10:40 PM
BTW - you're not related to a Paul Vorhees that lives in PA are you?[/QUOTE]

No Tom, not related. Heck, right in my hometown where I grew up, there were I think three different Voorhees families. AND THANKS, I knew that what I was talking about was called a hall tree. That example is a good one of what I am looking for. :p

Fred

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Fred
Like this - eh?

Fred Voorhees
01-26-2004, 6:00 PM
Dan - that is still another style - though is that more towards a Deacon's Bench? Not sure. Appreciate the input however. I am still mulling over a desing in my head. I keep thinking beadboard for the field of the back, but I may go with 1/4" cherry ply between rails and stiles. Not sure yet.

Fred