PDA

View Full Version : Washer Dryer

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2007, 6:44 AM
Mine broke. I'm looking at Melie and Bosch

Any input

Mike Null
08-19-2007, 8:11 AM
Miele may be the best machine available but it is so pricy that I would stick with American like Whirlpool. One of the things that makes a dryer more efficient is cu. ft. area. The larger the space the more efficient. That's a plus for Whp. and probably a negative for Miele.

There are three things that are commonly replaced in dryers, belts, elements and timers. Knowing this you should get 15 to 20 years of service.

Depending on the users age, the platforms now offered, can be very convenient.

Mitchell Andrus
08-19-2007, 8:17 AM
When our trusty Whorlpool washer went (20 years old +-) my wife got the bug for a front load pair from Sweden. What a nightmare.

The washer holds 1/2 the load of a heavy duty Maytag and ran for almost two hours on medium. The pump broke twice and the door latch switch and then the latch itself each broke, all in the first three years. Down time: four months total while waiting for parts.

We went for trusty old Maytags. Five years, no problems.

When I'm making a major appliance decision, I pretend it's busted and try to get some idea of how I'm gonna get it fixed. Imports = 2X$$$$ and months of wait time.

Jim Becker
08-19-2007, 9:21 AM
The new LGs have also caught my eyes...that steam feature is nice! But I'll weight the maintenance considerations when we get closer to the point of buying for the addition.

Cliff, I honestly haven't looked at either Miele or Bosch.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2007, 9:23 AM
I was just on a Whirlpool site.. The are in the Thousand dollar rang too.

I bought a Sears (Whirlpool) Wash/Dryer set the lat time. It lasted about 15 years not a great machine but it lasted. Before that I had a sears and that laster maybe 10 or so years.

I am so over the top loader washers~!! I have had pockets ripped off my jeans & towels torn and pierced by the rotors. Of course it'd be a help if could convince the missus not to overload the machines but since that's not happening I may as well resign myself to the facts on the ground.

Melie has SST interiors. I haven't seen a SST exterior yet.

We were going to put this off for a year or two and re build the whole kitchen but mechanical failure has forced my hand in the short term. If I can get SST it'll likely go well with the whole kitchen ethos I believe we'll end up doing.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2007, 9:25 AM
When our trusty Whorlpool washer went (20 years old +-) my wife got the bug for a front load pair from Sweden. What a nightmare.

What manufacturer is that ? Which model? What year?

That sort of information is very helpful 'cause good manufacturers do correct these issues changing suppliers and internal parts when they get multiple failures.

Roger Bell
08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
We have had Bosch electric W/D for about two years, maybe three. No problems so far. I don't know why we chose Bosch since I was not part of that decision group. Gets the clothes clean without damage...does a better job of spinning out the water than the top loaders I have had before. Bath towells look like they come out of an old wringer...flat and stiff. What can I say about a washing machine....as long as it washes and doesn't break and cost me money, I'm satisfied.

We have had a Bosch dishwasher for ten years without a single problem. That is one appliance that I really like. Quiet.

Both have an electronic beeper which is quite loud, reminding you that the load is done. And it beeps off and on for several minutes instead of once...which should be enough, I would think. I find that especially irritating.

Greg Funk
08-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Both have an electronic beeper which is quite loud, reminding you that the load is done. And it beeps off and on for several minutes instead of once...which should be enough, I would think. I find that especially irritating.
At least on the dishwasher the completion beeper can be disabled.

Roy Hatch
08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Cliff, We have an old washing machine and dryer that will need to be replaced sometime soon. The name Miele caught my attention as I vaguely remembered reading something about it. According to one of the big consumer magazines (they don't like to be named because they accept no advertising) the Miele front loader washing machine was the most expensive and had the lowest rating. So much for the expression, "You get what you pay for".

This may be worth a trip to your library if you don't have a copy of the magazine.

Roy

K. L. McReynolds
08-19-2007, 11:40 AM
We just bought a matched pair---Roper. We have had Kenmore, Whirlpool, GE, and a couple other brands in 40 years. This set---$500---from a superstore(Nebraska Furniture Mart---for Ks/Mo/Neb folks) is the best so far. Electric---the washer seldom wraps up stuff---LOML's unmentionables and the bedsheets, for instance----and the auto dry cycle is wonderful---cools the load down to minimize wrinkles.

Dennis Peacock
08-19-2007, 1:25 PM
Roper and Whirlpool are your two top brands. According to consumer reports they have the smallest repair record and the best overall performance rating.

Steve knight
08-19-2007, 4:15 PM
remember things have changed. don't expect more then 10 years or so out of an appliance. there is less profit in making things that last a long time. the new washers and driers use more electronics so don't expect easy servicability.
I just bought a LG front loader and it sure works better then the maytag we have. it is direct drive so no belts.

Pat Germain
08-19-2007, 5:07 PM
I don't think washers and dryers have used belts for a long time. I know the whirlpool dryer I purchased back in 1987 had a direct drive setup because I replaced some of the guide wheels. The washer had a transmission; no belts there either.

I also saw that CU article that wasn't kind to Meile. All show and no go, it seems.

I've heard mixed reviews of the new frontloaders which are all the rage. Some people love them, some people found them to be a nightmare.

It's probably a no-brainer to go with Whirlpool or Kenmore, which are pretty much the same thing. Kenmores sometimes have nicer features for a reasonable price compared to their Whirlpool cousins. It's also nice being able to get parts at the local Sears store.

I've never owned a Bosch washer/dryer, but I'd certainly consider this brand when my current machines give up the ghost. I sure like the Bosch dishwasher I've owned for about five years.

Michael Lutz
08-19-2007, 5:49 PM
4 years ago we got the Maytag Neptune front loading washer dryer pair. No problems. The front loaders can't handle as big of loads as the top loaders. Since Whirlpool bought Maytag I don't know if the neptunes are still made.

Mike

Al Willits
08-19-2007, 6:10 PM
Neptune's had a class action lawsuit against them, but at your own risk.
Neptunes are still being made, supposing with less problems.

Roper/whirlpool/kitchenaid/possibly some kenmore/and I think estate are all whirlpool, plus one or two others.

We are seeing bearing failures with front load washers, this repair is expensive enough to toss the machine, do NOT overload these washers, no matter what the salesperson says.

5 others and my self work on a Techincal help desk for the 375 service techs we have, also the phone center and public and 3 of us have a Fisher Paykel washer, this is a top loader and fairly new, so no long term service records exsist, but in the three years we've had them, they have worked well.
But if we didn't go with them, our first reccomendation would be the basic whirlpool top loader washer and dryer, then the Duet front loader if its a front loader you gotta have..fwiw

Al

Steve knight
08-19-2007, 6:12 PM
there are large front loaders they tend to handle more then the average top loader. there are some really large top loaders now with no agitators. but they are expensive and not as reliable yet.
front loaders have pretty much all the bugs worked out and are reliable. they wring the clothes out so well you hardly need a dryer. we had the first maytag neptune and it was a pain. it needed a full overhaul to work the bugs out (lucky that part was free) but it never washed as well as the LG we bought that cost less money.

Al Willits
08-19-2007, 6:38 PM
You keep overloading that LG Steve and you'll see how reliable they are.
imho

Al

Brian Willan
08-19-2007, 7:31 PM
Nobody seems to have mentioned the Staber washing machines. They are reviewed quite highly. They are the top loading design with no agitator.

They are on the pricey side starting at $1200.

www.staber.com

Cheers

Brian
From The Great White North

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2007, 3:34 PM
Well the decision was made. I was going to go Miele until I asked one question: What side of the face plate is the hinge on?

I'd have to have re plumbed and re-wired everything. So the next choice was the Bosch.

Wheee. I got 'em cheaper with local guy than I could find online too.

I got the Soup to nuts 4 year extended guarantee 'cause I just don't trust electronics and gee-whiz-gizmos any more. Especially in a laundry or a kitchen.

My next stove may be a Wolf or a Vulcan or maybe a Castle.
No gee-whiz-electrikal-komputer crapola for me.

Al Willits
08-20-2007, 5:16 PM
Your warrt cover labor too Cliff?
Seems most manuf are going to a one year labor and parts warrt..

Wolf's a nice stove, olders ones had little insulation in them and would heat up a small kitchen fairly quick, haven't looked at then in a few years but they may have a residential version, ya want to spend a lot and get a commerical like stove that's designed for homeowners, try Viking maybe

Al

Randy Klein
08-20-2007, 7:44 PM
I have the Bosch front loader and have had the repairman out more often than I wish. It's currently not working now and the repairman didn't know how to fix it. He says he needs to talk to an engineer. But that was Friday, so by engineer, I think he meant bartender.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Your warrt cover labor too Cliff?
Seems most manuf are going to a one year labor and parts warrt..

That's the standard. I took out the 4 year extended - more $$ but I think it's needed given the level of technical flaws in these gadgets

[/quote] Wolf's a nice stove, olders ones had little insulation in them and would heat up a small kitchen fairly quick, haven't looked at then in a few years but they may have a residential version,[/quote]

Wolf is the residential version of the Vulcan. I like burners that put out about 20,000 BTUs or more. Preferably 30K

ya want to spend a lot and get a commerical like stove that's designed for homeowners, try Viking maybe Viking is OK those I have seen don't get hot enough at the burner.

For some reason the residential gas stoves of some 40 years ago were boatloads better at producing heat than modern ones. They Fire and safety PC people have regulated the BTU output available. So if you want commercial grade you need insulation barriers and hoods that make them code compliant.

Castle was making a heavily insulated commercial just for residential apps. I don't think they are any more. Too much resistance from the uninformed code enforcement officers trying to squeeze everyone in to the same box.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I have the Bosch front loader and have had the repairman out more often than I wish. It's currently not working now and the repairman didn't know how to fix it. He says he needs to talk to an engineer. But that was Friday, so by engineer, I think he meant bartender.
It seems every year they fix last year's problems and Marketing insists on more doo-dads and gee-whizz stuff and of course they create more problems.

Ed Garrett
08-27-2007, 9:14 PM
I vote Whirlpool because: Low cost upfront, low maintenance frequency, cheap to fix if necessary, and a huge array of choices. I studied this for about a year before buying a dryer in 2003.

Here's an interesting choice for a washer: Staber. They have a neatly engineered top loading horizontal axis washer. It's supposed to make the most efficient use of water and electricity. Since it has bearings on both sides of the drum (unlike the front loaders), it can spin faster, it's less likely to break, it's easier to fix, etc. Check out their website. If I were picking out a washer right now I would seriously consider a Staber.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee