PDA

View Full Version : Rigid belt/spindle sander?

John Shuk
01-25-2004, 8:03 PM
Hey guys,
Has any body got any experience with the Rigid oscilating spindle/belt sander? (forgive the spelling) It seems like a nice machine and the local HD has it on clearance for $199.00. It would come in real handy right about now.I've also kicked around Delta's BOSS. I just like the idea of the belt and the spindle. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
John

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 8:38 PM
John, I looked at it "way back when" and bought the BOSS. I felt there was too much plastic in the Ridgid OSS and really liked the cast iron table that the Delta model has. That being said, I would have liked to have the Jet with its tilting cast iron table, but that was not on the market then. Most of the posts I've seen over the years on the Ridgid have been either enthusiastic or the exact opposite.

Scott Kuykendall
01-25-2004, 8:44 PM
I bought one a little over a year ago and use it all the time. I use the belt most of the time and use it to sand angles with the tilting table. I would buy it again in a heart beat.
Scott

Hey guys,
Has any body got any experience with the Rigid oscilating spindle/belt sander? (forgive the spelling) It seems like a nice machine and the local HD has it on clearance for $199.00. It would come in real handy right about now.I've also kicked around Delta's BOSS. I just like the idea of the belt and the spindle. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
John

Steve Powell
01-25-2004, 9:09 PM
I also have the RIDGID sander and have used it a lot over the year I have had it. It has held up very well and is one of the most useful sanders I have ever owned. I am very happy with it and would recommend it highly.

That being said, if you buy one make sure you have one hand on the belt tracking knob when you turn it on. It is very responsive to adjustments and will run off the spindle quickly if you are not prepared for it.

John Shuk
01-25-2004, 9:22 PM
One more question I have is this. Is the belt a standard size belt? If rigid stops making this unit will I be able to get supplies for it?
Thanks.
John

Scott Kuykendall
01-25-2004, 9:25 PM
I buy my belts and splindle sleeves from Klingspor they are standard sizes.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/
They last ten times as the one you can buy in any store .
Scott

One more question I have is this. Is the belt a standard size belt? If rigid stops making this unit will I be able to get supplies for it?
Thanks.
John

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 10:11 PM
John, I've had one for about a couple years now. I originally bought it, because it does have both, the belt and OSS. I've since gotten a larger belt/disc sander, so it's now dedicated to the OSS. I like it. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck and, with the sale price, all the better. Someday I'll probably upgrade to the big floor-standing Grizz OSS, but for now, it does most of what I ask it to do. :cool:

Scott Coffelt
01-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Not to bag Rigid, but I will. I bought one a awhile back.. The dang thing vibrated so bad it almost worked itself off of the work bench. I decided it was made too lite and it also had too much plastic. I took it back and went with the Jet Spindle sander and I am glad I did. I heard many folks say they went through several to get one that worked. Others say its the greatest thing. I guess you can try it and see if you get a better experience then I did.

Duane Dennis
01-25-2004, 10:55 PM
I purchased the last one at my local Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. I've only used the belt portion so far, but I like it. FWIW, I mentioned how it was last years model, and they took off another 20% off the $199 clearance price. So I got it for about $160. Not too shabby.

Considering other options for the money, I'm pleased with the purchase. The tracking knob is a bit touchy, but you get the hang of it. Just gotta tweak it a bit at first, no biggee. At least not on my unit.

I also purchased the 4" x 24" belts at Klingspore's online site, and used the 220 grit belt today. Seem to be very good quality belts, and at prices cheaper than HD(not too mention HD doesn't have near the selection of different grits).

Steven Wilson
01-26-2004, 12:44 AM
I use to own one when they first came out. I went through a number of units (5 or 6) to find one that was reasonably square. The belt wasn't really square to the table and not in the same plane as the spindle. The table couldn't be made square to the table so I applied a liberal coating of bondo and surfaced it to get a square table. Hmmm, the dust collection isn't very good and the platen in mine had a slight twist.

I sold it and got a real OSS with large sanding sleves; the Grizley 1071, a nice 24"x24" cast iron table and 4" diameter sleve. The Ridgid is a toy, nice idea but still a toy.

Ernie Kuhn
01-26-2004, 1:32 AM
Hey guys,
Has any body got any experience with the Rigid oscilating spindle/belt sander? (forgive the spelling) It seems like a nice machine and the local HD has it on clearance for $199.00. John

John,
Put me in with Scott and Steve. I've had mine for well over a year. Works fine. Like the tilt table and expecially the belt part. Belts and spindle sleeves at Klinspore(sp?), you bet.
For my use, (seriouse hobiest, not production shop) it was absolutely best buy for the money. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Also, take a look at the warranty, same as Sears hand tools, e.g. "forever".
Ernie

Glenn Clabo
01-26-2004, 6:16 AM
Got it as a gift...I don't think I would have bought it myself. However, it really works fine. I don't find all the problems that most people complain about...but I didn't expect it to be a precision/production tool. It's pretty good for the money. I really don't need anything more...right now.

John Shuk
01-28-2004, 9:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I see that they have it on the shelf in the new color scheme so I may do what I do best and procrastinate and bug my wife until she insists I buy it.