PDA

View Full Version : Chair rail help needed

Brian Brown
08-18-2007, 10:34 PM
I just milled up a bunch of custom chair rail, and now I need to sand it. What is the fastest/best way to sand this chair rail while getting consistent results? It is not practical for me to make a reversed profile sanding block, and glue sand paper to it. Is there a better way? Is there a product that can be put in the drill press, and use a jig to hold the wood against it? Just looking to make my life easier.

Brian

David DeCristoforo
08-18-2007, 10:40 PM
If you don't want to make a block or invest in a profile sander, this is probably the next best option:

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/The_Sanding_Mop.php

Steven Triggs
08-18-2007, 11:08 PM
If you don't want to make a block or invest in a profile sander, this is probably the next best option:

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/The_Sanding_Mop.php

David,
Have you used those? They look interesting. If you've used them, what do you think of them? I realize you must be "for" them since you suggested them, just curious if you can expound on your experience with them.

Chuck Lenz
08-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Brian, when I was working for a painter and we would stain and finish trim packs for new homes we used 3M sanding sponges.

Mike K Wenzloff
08-18-2007, 11:53 PM
You could make a shaped scraper to fit the profile to smooth it. A pass or two is all it takes.

You can make the scraper from an old hand saw.

Take care, Mike

Jamie Buxton
08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
One fast trick for making a profile sanding block is to use Bondo. Put a piece of paper on a scrap piece of molding, and a blob of Bondo on it. You may find it useful to embed a block of wood in the Bondo. When it cures, the paper ensures that the block releases cleanly from the molding. Wrap sandpaper around the profiled block, and have at it.

One caution about Bondo --- DAMHIK --- is that it dulls cutting tools extremely quickly. Just sawing the end off your sanding block may dull your saw. Oddly enough, it doesn't dull sandpaper quickly. I don't know how they've managed to accomplish both those characteristics simultaneously.

David DeCristoforo
08-19-2007, 1:11 PM
"...what do you think of them? I realize you must be "for" them..."

Yes I have used them and, no I'm not "for" them. They can save a lot of time but tend to "knock down" sharp corners and "hard" edges, which tends to "soften" to look of the moulding. I pointed you to them because you stated that you did not want to have to make a custom block or scraper as suggested in some of the other replies (and which are, really, better solutions).

Jim Nardi
08-19-2007, 2:04 PM
I just set up sawhorses and sand a hour at a time you can get a whole housefull of trim done in no time flat. It's not furniture so 120 grit is plenty good IMO.

Steven Triggs
08-19-2007, 2:27 PM
I pointed you to them because you stated that you did not want to have to make a custom block or scraper as suggested in some of the other replies (and which are, really, better solutions).

David,
Actually, that was me, not Brian, that asked you for more info. I didn't mean to make you think I was questioning you though. They just looked interesting to me, so I wanted feedback from someone who had used them. Sounds though like you weren't thrilled with them, so I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks so much,
Steven