PDA

View Full Version : Newb Needs a Bit of Help

Jonathan Harvey
08-18-2007, 8:55 PM
Hello all. I am new to wood turning and am in need of a bit of help. Could someone please help me identify which type of grind is on this Ashley Iles 3/8 bowl gouge. I have the oneway vari-grind attachment but am not able to re-create this grind. I have read the instructions and wathched the video but I cannot set the vari-grind on a low enough angle to create this grind (vari-grind bottoms out). Any and all help is appreciated.

I look forward to learning alot from you guys and hope to be able to contribute myself at some point.

Jonathan

Tom Keen
08-18-2007, 9:42 PM
Dont use the vari grind attachment, just the arm and you should get close to what you want. Extend the arm, match the nose angle. As you grind move the tip of the gouge towards the edge of the stone to help get the wing shape. I use this method on my small bowl gouges..

Hope this helps,
Tom

Jonathan Harvey
08-18-2007, 9:47 PM
I looked at that option as well. I can get the nose to match up or the sides but not both, although it is much closer using the arm then the vari-grind. Do you think I should just find an angle that is close to the nose angle and re-grind?

Tom Keen
08-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I think the most important thing is to find a grind that works will for you. I went to the grind I mentioned when I found I couldnt cut anything on a conventionally ground bowl gouge. So I ground back the sides to make a tiny fingernail and it worked. Try it and see if you like the way it cuts.. Most people do better with a fingernail type of grind. Experiment until you find the size of wing that work well for your style.

T.

Jonathan Harvey
08-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Thank you, I'll let you know how things work out.

Gordon Seto
08-18-2007, 11:41 PM
The factory grind looks like a traditional grind.
How do you like it? If it doesn't work for you, there is no sense maintaining it.
I think this grind can be done with the flat tool rest matching the front angle and roll the gouge.

Gordon

Ian Welford
08-19-2007, 5:31 PM
Try using a flat plate rest set to the grind angle and rolling the gouge accross it whilst swinging the handle . Best idea is to colour the edge first with a marker pen then try a very,very,very gentle pass over the grinder. You can then see exactly what's being ground away and adjust accordingly.

You will find the bevel that works for you but it takes time. I've got the Sorby universal rest and once set up it gets me nearly to where I want to be.

Happy cutting!

Ian

Wally Wenzel
08-19-2007, 7:35 PM
Jon, Use the flat rest, match the bevel, asyou rollto thr sides push the toolforward and up on the wheel a little to get get the wings ground back a little and sharp. works for me. Wally