PDA

View Full Version : Need minature rail & stile bit recomendations

Gene Collison
01-25-2004, 7:53 PM
Looking for recommendations on a minature 3 piece rail and style router bit set for making small doors. I have found pricing for CMT @ $149. at Sommerfeldtools.com, Jesada @ $115. and Whiteside in the middle but on ebay. Jesada offers the best deal at $115. on a matched set (?) but I have had Jesada unmatched sets before also. Any suggestions or recommendations? TIA......

Gene

Dennis McDonaugh
01-25-2004, 7:59 PM
Gene, I've had very good luck with Whiteside bits. Both my rail and stile sets are Whiteside and I've never had a problem with fit. I've had good luck dealing with briartoysq on e-bay too. His mini rail and stile cutters are $89.

Fred Voorhees
01-25-2004, 8:15 PM
Gene, I know that CMT is a little pricey, :rolleyes: but I have a few of their sets, the miniature panel set is one of them. Although I haven't had it out and cutting in about two or three years, when I did use it, it worked like a champ. One thing though, because these sets are for doing miniature panels, the work is "up close and personal" and does call for increased attention to safety. The miniature rail and stile and panel sets are great, but they are a bit of a novelty thing. Not that that is a bad thing.

Fred Voorhees

Gene Collison
01-25-2004, 8:21 PM
Gene, I've had very good luck with Whiteside bits. Both my rail and stile sets are Whiteside and I've never had a problem with fit. I've had good luck dealing with briartoysq on e-bay too. His mini rail and stile cutters are $89.

Hi Dennis,

So briartoys is a good outfit to deal with. This is where I found the Whiteside bits too. I have the full size set and they are good. I noticed that briartoys says they will be shipped direct from the factory. Does this slow down delivery, I'm needing them for a project.

Thanks

Gene

Gene Collison
01-25-2004, 8:24 PM
Gene, I know that CMT is a little pricey, :rolleyes: but I have a few of their sets, the miniature panel set is one of them. Although I haven't had it out and cutting in about two or three years, when I did use it, it worked like a champ. One thing though, because these sets are for doing miniature panels, the work is "up close and personal" and does call for increased attention to safety. The miniature rail and stile and panel sets are great, but they are a bit of a novelty thing. Not that that is a bad thing.

Fred Voorhees

Hi Fred,

I can relate to your tip on safety. They talk about raised panels as small as 2", not in my hands. Just maybe 4"!

Gene

Ace Karner
01-25-2004, 8:31 PM
I have the CMT set from Sommerfield and Have used it for three years and it is great. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

ace

Keith Hall
01-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Gene, I bought both of the CMT panel sets at the Atlanta show two years ago. Both are top rate and I would buy either sets again. Watch your fingers VERY CLOSELY!!! with the mini set. Keith

Dave Arbuckle
01-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Bought the small CMT set from Marc Sommerfeld a few years ago. A very nice set of bits. If they still include his video with the set, it shows how Marc works with those tiny pieces safely, with a couple simple jigs.

If they don't still include the video "Mini raised panels made easy", I recommend it as an additional purchase no matter which bits you choose.

Dave

Dennis McDonaugh
01-26-2004, 9:21 AM
Hi Dennis,

So briartoys is a good outfit to deal with. This is where I found the Whiteside bits too. I have the full size set and they are good. I noticed that briartoys says they will be shipped direct from the factory. Does this slow down delivery, I'm needing them for a project.

Thanks

Gene

Gene, I don't know where mine came from, the factory I guess, but I paid with paypal and it took less than a week to get the bits.

Curt Harms
01-26-2004, 7:55 PM
Looking for recommendations on a minature 3 piece rail and style router bit set for making small doors. I have found pricing for CMT @ $149. at Sommerfeldtools.com, Jesada @ $115. and Whiteside in the middle but on ebay. Jesada offers the best deal at $115. on a matched set (?) but I have had Jesada unmatched sets before also. Any suggestions or recommendations? TIA......

Gene
Hello Gene

I don't have any experience with the miniature rail and style sets from Woodline, but I do have some bits from and find them quite servicible. They list 3 sets. {usual disclaimer no affiliation etc.}
http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=436&curPage=2&sortField=description
(scroll down to the middle of the page)