PDA

View Full Version : blanks with beveled edges

Craig Hogarth
08-18-2007, 8:07 PM
How you you all place your blanks with beveled edges on the bottom into the engraver? The bevel doesn't allow me to square it up against the guide. I've just been eyeballing it, only messing up a few times and I'm wondering if there's a different way.

Joe Pelonio
08-18-2007, 8:30 PM
In most cases a strip of 1/4" acrylic laid on top of the guide will allow the edge to but against it. As long as you are gentle a few pieces of good masking tape will hold it in place.

Craig Hogarth
08-18-2007, 8:51 PM
How did I not think of that before?? Thanks!

Stephen Beckham
08-18-2007, 8:56 PM
Craig,

I too just eyeball it - but I run a vector line of the most outer edge (same shape/size) of my target piece to ensure it's lined up. I run the vector at high speeds and 0 power or with door open.

I also use a simple cross pattern in Vector mode to line strange items up. For instance - these Dulcimers that I cut the holes in are all a bit different in size and shape - but the Fret Bar is always perfect to the center. I drew a cross pattern (two simple lines) that intersect and allow me to run the red light over and over until I have the piece lined up perfect to the center line of the fret bar. The key is reproducable results on multitude of items. Do like Picasso and find a common set of lines to allow alignment over and over... Okay, maybe Picasso is a bad mentor...:D

Mike Null
08-19-2007, 7:40 AM
I keep a draftsmans 30-60-90 triangle next to my machine for such things. Place the short leg against the rule and the long against the work.