PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 HP Dust Collection Setup

Quesne Ouaques
08-18-2007, 8:05 PM
Hi All:

I recently got a Delta 50-760 1 1/2 HP collector, and I am trying to design my shop ductwork setup. I have included a link to a zipped SketchUp file of my basic shop setup with all of the machines in place and the ductwork plan I've been thinking of. Any input would be appreciated.

http://74.94.15.133/Photos/AfricaPhotos.nsf/08dc146c2db8d3ee8525720c000ce543/a252ca89c41a7ce08525733b00827a50?OpenDocument

There are a couple of thing that I think are important to point out when looking at the layout and considering my particular situation:

- The large, concrete "rafters" that cross my basement ceiling make it virtually impossible to move the collector around. The top bag is too high to clear them without considerable modification.

- For those who think I may have too much ductwork for a 1 1/2 HP collector (myself included, perhaps!), I am also considering converting the top bag to a cartridge filter (http://www.wynnenv.com/delta_50-760.htm). This would make moving the collector around a realistic strategy. I would be interested in your opinions regarding this option.

- If I did go to a mobile-collector solution, it may be helpful to know that I have several items that are already mobile. They are: the workbench, jointer, planer, bandsaw and the lathe.

- The ducting I've put into the sketch is 8" in diameter, but that is not accurate. The largest diameter I am thinking about using is 6" ducting.

- The scale of my shop measurements are very close but not exact. I am spending a few weeks on vacation, and I'm away from home.

Thanks, in advance, for any input!

Chuck Lenz
08-18-2007, 8:11 PM
If your top bag on your dust collector is too high would a cartridge filter be low enough ?

Brett Baldwin
08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Even if you don't need it for clearance, I'd go with the cartridge as your filter anyway. Much more efficient, higher airflow and smaller particle filtration. Plus it isn't ridiculously expensive.
FYI, it cut 10.5 inches off the height of my HF 1 1/2hp dust collector.

Wilbur Pan
08-19-2007, 1:49 AM
Some thoughts:

1. For a 1 1/2 HP dust collector, it's good to try to keep the duct runs as short as possible to reduce resistance in the system, which will kill your ability to collect fine dust. I have one of these, and I move it from machine to machine using a short length of flex hose.

2. I agree with Brett that a Wynn cartridge filter has so many advantages over the stock bag that getting one is kind of a no brainer.

3. Based on your machine layout, the machines that will generate the most fine dust (table saw, bandsaw, miter saw, router, and disc sander, if I read your plan right), are also the ones that seem to be farthest away from your dust collector. If you decide to stay with a fixed duct system, I'd seriously think about seeing if you can move them closer to the dust collector.

But if it was me, I'd get the cartridge and move the dust collector around to each machine as you need it.

Quesne Ouaques
08-19-2007, 2:29 AM
The Wynn cartridge filter will definitely reduce the height of the collector enough. It should allow me to wheel the unit around the shop with room to spare.

One question I forgot to ask on my original posting is: Which of the two Wynn cartridges should I get? There is a paper one (0.5 microns, $91, non-washable) and a poly-spun version (1.0 micron, $130, washable).

I spoke with the owner a few months ago when I was doing my research. He was extremely helpful and very friendly. He said both filters would do the trick for a hobbbyist, but he said the poly-spun filter will literally last a lifetime if properly cared for. The poly-spun can be washed (he does not recommend it for the paper), and it also withstands up to 380 psi wet or dry from your air gun when cleaning it (the paper filter may be damaged by anything over 45 psi dry).

Details: http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Which of these filters do you have, Brett? Does anyone else have experience with either of these?

Thank you for all the help and info!

Mike Heidrick
08-19-2007, 7:55 AM
The file did not work for me so I have not seen the shop layout.

Wouldn't having the cloth bad on your 760 be the ultimate in height control? Make a collapesable top bag holder pipe. A telescoping bag holder might work. Nest a couple lengths of pipe with the outer one threaded for a bolt with a handle. Attach to the DC and then lower the top bag when you need to move it, and raise between the closest rafter once you get to the tool you want to use with it.

Rather than buying the Wynn you could start saving for a the smaller Oneida cyclone as well.

Quesne Ouaques
08-20-2007, 11:40 AM
The file did not work for me so I have not seen the shop layout.

Hi Mike:

I'll be happy to e-mail you the file if you send me a pm.

Thanks

Quesne Ouaques
12-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I just thought I would post a followup to this thread. About 3/4 of my dust collection setup is done and I am very happy with it. I have installed one side of the U and still have some fine tuning to do, but my DC project is well on its way.

After reading Sandor's book (I cannot recommend it highly enough) and giving my setup a lot of serious consideration, as well as performing some crude static pressure tests, I eventually settled on 6" duct, locating my collector at the bottom of the "U" in my shop, and running my ductwork along the wall at near-floor height. There is a 2" wide concrete lip (like cove base) running around the entire basement, and it seemed to offer a natural "shelf" on which to run the duct. My "drops" actually come up from the floor at a 45 degree angle or (as in most cases so far) they are simply 4" hose running from the machine directly into the 6"x4" laterals.

I picked up 10 pieces of 6" diameter 26 gauge snap-lock from a local HVAC supplier. At $8.00 per 5 ft length, it was about the same price as the 28 gauge at HD ($7.75) and much less expensive than the 26 gauge at Penn State ($12.00). Sandor says that you should absolutely avoid the 28 gauge stuff, so I was glad to find an inexpensive source for the heavier gauge.

All of the other fittings I bought at Penn State Industries. Wyes, laterals, reducers, scoops, hose and a hood for the bandsaw. They were pleasant to deal with and the sales guy (name via PM on request) had very good advice and was very honest about the quality of their products. I had also been putting off buying an air cleaner, but I ended up getting the AC1000 unit from PS and I am very happy about it.

With my new setup, the longest run from the collector (so far) is about 23 feet. In order to see what kind of performance I could expect, I put my 13" Delta planer at the end of the line (temporarily, of course) and passed a 12" board through while taking a 1/16" off. It worked like a charm. The suction is so strong, in fact, that the finer shavings that end up milling around on the tables get sucked up easily with a little sweep toward the middle!

All-in-all I am very happy with this DC unit and with the setup I've chosen. I still need to fully install the second half of the U and install my overhead run to the workbench, but based on my tests up to this point the setup should cover anything I decide to plug into it.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice to me on this thread and others.

Curt Harms
12-22-2007, 1:06 PM
I have the more expensive one-spun bond. It's quite ridgid and works well. I doesn't have the beaters like some but I just slap it a few times, blow it out with compressed air and took it off once and vacuumed out the inside. Talk about static shock city!!. I haven't tried washing it out yet, haven't felt the need but it works well. One thing to do with bag style DC's is to empty them before they get too full. The fuller the lower bag the more material will be sucked into the filter. I empty mine when the bag is about 1/3rd full. Wynn also sells bags, or at least used to; I can't find them on the Wynn site. Another bag option is to use contractor's trash bags. I used a black contractor's bag inside the original fabric bag for reinforcement. That worked okay but it's neat to watch the clear lower bags:rolleyes:.

HTH

Curt