Are the new Omnijigs out?
#55160 16" ????

Supposed to be a Leigh clone and was suppose to be available Jan 2007

Bruce Page
08-18-2007, 3:56 PM
Amazon is selling it for $399

Carl Crout
08-18-2007, 4:49 PM
they don't have it. The seller is allsparestools and if you check their website they don't have it. I am curious as if it has ever been sold yet or are they behind on production like Leigh is on their new jig?

Carl Crout
08-18-2007, 4:53 PM
Toolbarn says on factory backorder until Oct 2007

Bruce Page
08-18-2007, 5:02 PM
Interesting, there seems to be a lot of late unveilings lately.

Gary Keedwell
08-18-2007, 6:03 PM
Interesting, there seems to be a lot of late unveilings lately.
Must be those "slow boats from China":eek: :D

Gary K.

Bruce Page
08-18-2007, 6:06 PM

Gary K.

That's what I was thinking...;)

Dave Laird in NM
08-18-2007, 6:07 PM
The factory could not produce the quality that PC specified and they had to go back and change a couple of thing at the factory to get their specified quality.

The latest that I say says they are scheduled to have them 1st quarter of '08 but are trying to push it forward to the 4th quarter of '07.

From what I've seen lately they will be lucky to have them in March of '08.

Just my $.02.

Steve Milito
08-18-2007, 6:31 PM
The factory could not produce the quality that PC specified and they had to go back and change a couple of thing at the factory to get their specified quality.

The latest that I say says they are scheduled to have them 1st quarter of '08 but are trying to push it forward to the 4th quarter of '07.

From what I've seen lately they will be lucky to have them in March of '08.

Just my $.02.

That's the same story that they are telling about Delta's 17" and 21" drill presses. Delta/PC seems to be having some issues with bringing new tools to market.

Brad Townsend
08-18-2007, 8:55 PM
The question in my mind is why do the marketing geniuses announce these things without having a firm handle on when they will be ready to ship? Is it just to forestall someones purchase of a competing product? Kind of reminds me of "vaporware" in the software industry.:rolleyes:

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2007, 6:52 AM
The question in my mind is why do the marketing geniuses announce these things without having a firm handle on when they will be ready to ship? Is it just to forestall someones purchase of a competing product?

Because they are marketing. There may be the hope of preventing other purchases, However, they are manipulative. It's a ploy to force manufacturing to step up and perform. Most marketing morons haven't got even two tiny little clues to rub together about how things are made or what is even possible, they just make promises.

One of he principle reasons I left corporate America was the marketing people. They had taken over America's corporations and they have no basis or business running things. The greatest corporations in the nation were started by engineers. GE, Boeing, Raytheon, Gen Rad, Honeywell, you name it.

In the 90's I was hiring young engineers out of college. They were aghast that I had violated the hierarchy they had been taught in school believing that they were supposed to be subordinate to - - - marketing - - yech.

John Shuk
08-19-2007, 9:20 AM
I was under the impression that Delta planned on moving it's manufacturing back to the US.? Anyone else remember that?

Gary Keedwell
08-19-2007, 10:13 AM
I was under the impression that Delta planned on moving it's manufacturing back to the US.? Anyone else remember that?
John...seems to me that your right. I had forgotten about that.:(
Gary K.

Greg Funk
08-19-2007, 11:11 AM
The greatest corporations in the nation were started by engineers. GE, Boeing, Raytheon, Gen Rad, Honeywell, you name it.

And the reason they became successful corporations vs garage labs was because some of those engineers were good at marketing and selling...

Gary Keedwell
08-19-2007, 11:56 AM
And the reason they became successful corporations vs garage labs was because some of those engineers were good at marketing and selling...
:rolleyes: :D
Sorry Cliffy, he got you there.:)
Gary K.

Brad Townsend
08-19-2007, 12:09 PM
What I was suggesting, and I think Cliff was reinforcing, is that marketing has to work WITH engineering, and not apart from it. You can't market what you can't produce.

Gary Keedwell
08-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I think it all boils down to who's making the final decision. I worked at a place where the upper management always gave preference to marketing. Manufacturing always seemed like an afterthought to these people. They got themselves in a mess when the product started to get many returns from unsatisfied customers.:rolleyes:
Gary K.

Greg Funk
08-19-2007, 12:34 PM
What I was suggesting, and I think Cliff was reinforcing, is that marketing has to work WITH engineering, and not apart from it. You can't market what you can't produce.
I'll agree with you there but I also agree with George Bernard Shaw's assertion that all progress depends on the unreasonable man. If engineers had their way they would never ship because there is always something that could be improved...

Steve Milito
08-19-2007, 1:36 PM

IMHO good management intergrates marketing, engineering, sales, planning, operations, and finance. The end product is a company that can execute. We've seen the over-hyped add campaign with the only visible end result being a new WEB site. They have been pitching new products for 18 months now, and still can't deliver them. It seems that management is not doing a good job at balancing the company.

Personally, I don't believe the QA thing. THe drill press and the dovetail jig are both vaporware, and both are delayed for the same reason. It doesn't make sense to me.The products are too different. I think that there is a much bigger issue. Something in management / operations.

Carl Crout
08-19-2007, 2:46 PM
I give up and ordered a Leigh Superjig. It should be here in about 3 weeks.
Heck with PC/Delta. If they are that stupid I will spend my money elsewhere.

Larry Nall
08-19-2007, 3:29 PM

Gary K.

Maybe they are having to strip the lead based paint off them.

Bruce Page
08-19-2007, 7:09 PM
I'll agree with you there but I also agree with George Bernard Shaw's assertion that all progress depends on the unreasonable man. If engineers had their way they would never ship because there is always something that could be improved...

LOL, I have a sign on my office wall that reads;

"AT SOME POINT WE ARE GOING TO SHOOT THE ENGINEERS AND START PRODUCTION."

I work with a lot of engineers, some of them laugh at it and some don't...