PDA

View Full Version : What glue for china?

Craig D Peltier
08-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey I have a dinner plate, perfectly cracked in half.I want to glue it up, I want it too look good so a clear glue or white preferred, any Ideas what to use?
Obviously I want to be able to put it back in dishwasher.
A little history on my plate collection.
I have a full set of the now defunct House of Blues Sunset Strip Hollywood restaurant plates. They closed the rest about 5 years ago and call it The Porch now. It was my client, the manager hooked me up with 6 DP, 6 chargers, 6 Very large Salad Plates, 3 oval platters.
They are all ivory ringed in blue with sayings on them "In Blues we Trust" and the House of Blues on top. Also I think a few say "Trust in Sharing"
The maintenance manager also hooked me up with 6 chairs that have the House of Blues carved into there backs, they were blue, I had them stripped an stained dark for $30 each. He also gave me 4 bar stools with name in top.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd use epoxy with the caveat that the joint will discolor with contact with exposure to food and you can not put it in the dishwasher - at least not a Melie. Mine gets so hot demolishes epoxies turns epoxy into useless gunk.

Craig D Peltier
08-18-2007, 6:27 PM
Anyone else??

Mike Lawler
08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I would suggest medium or thick CA (superglue commonly used by turners.)

Wear some nitrile gloves.

After it has dried and set, you can clean up rough excess with acetone. (note, not all nail polish removers are 100% acetone anymore, but if you can find some, it is a cheap source.)

Jim Becker
08-19-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.thistothat.com