PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617EVSK owners opinions

glenn bradley
08-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Just in case I can get one of the sears badged clearance units; how do you all like your router after some use? Any goods, bads, or oughta-have's?

Mikail Khan
08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I bought the 1617EVSPK about 4 years ago and I am very happy with it. The bit height adustment on the fixed base is very easy to use and the router has enough power to make raised panel doors. Fit and finish are good with the exception of the handles of the plunges base which flex a little too much. I got a free edge guide when I bought mine which works well but I think that the new one for porter cable routers is better.

Mikail

Jeffrey Schronce
08-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I have a couple of the Bosch units and love them. There have been a couple issues with them. First, the switch was not sealed and had to be replaced by Bosch when it started to fail. Second, the magnesium router motor body tends to stick to the magnesium router bases. Bosch corrected this by changing motor material to aluminum. Might want to check the motor housing on the Craftsman unit to see if it is aluminum. Dont know how to tell you if the switch is sealed. If it is not in RT probably wont be a problem.

Randal Stevenson
08-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I have the blue Bosch, and bought my father the red Bosch (due to all his Craftsman router stuff the plate is drilled for).

My advice, buy the cheaper and swap the plate.

Jason White
08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I have it and love it.

Some of these had bad power switches. Bosch will send you a free replacement if your's stops working. Pretty easy to replace (although I ended up taking more of my router apart than I had to because I didn't know what I was doing). I can walk you through it if that happens.

Buy it!

Jason

Just in case I can get one of the sears badged clearance units; how do you all like your router after some use? Any goods, bads, or oughta-have's?

John Thompson
08-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Morning Glenn...

The Bosch is included in 4 routers. I iniatially used it in a table, but it got replaced with the "hoss" Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP.. Smooth plunge but not as good as the DW 621 plunge.. Not the depth of plunge as the PC.. and as Jeff metioned the older magnesium gets sticky and needs attention.

Light.. smooth.. quiet.. easy to change bits.. All in all, probably the best All Weather performer and if I could only have one router, either it or the Triton would get the call!

Sarge.. john thompson

Deck Reagan
08-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I love the Bosch 1617EVSK .

Ton's of power. The only problem I ever had was the power switched filled up with really fine dust and I had to disassemble clean and it was good to go.

deck

Bill Huber
08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I love mine and have had very few problems.

Like many others I had to replace the switch, a 5 min. job.

I did have to tighten the handles on the plunge base, put Lock-Tight on the screws and have had no more problems.

The 1/4 collet was so tight that it was had to get the bits in and out and Bosch sent me a new one and it is fine.

The return spring in the plunge base could be a little stronger.

Now with all of that said, if you really need a big router I would say get one, but I think the router that I have using the most is my Colt. Now that is a great little router.

Bob Marino
08-18-2007, 2:34 PM
I had the 1617 some years back and thought (and still do) consider it a great router - well balanced, powerful and I loved those beech handles. Somehow, about 5 years ago, I heard about another brand of router...;) :D ;)
Mine did have a problem with the pitting of the magnesium motor housing, though I am sure that is not an issue any longer.
Unless something happened on it's way to the Craftsman rebadging, I would highly recommend it.

Bob

Steven Triggs
08-18-2007, 2:52 PM

Glenn,
I have no first-hand experience with either router, but I read recently in a router review from the June 2007 Popular Woodworking that the Craftsman didn't test out as well as the Bosch. They found the motor to have more vibration and noise then all others tested, including the Bosch.

Personally, I suspect it was just chance, no different than how if you were to test two of the same brand/model you could get different results.

They also said that the Craftsman didn't include as many accessories, of note were a template guide fitting, a centering cone, and a vaccum hookup attachment. Also, they said the base plate was flexible, and allowed sawdust to pack in between the baseplate and the router.

Jason White
08-18-2007, 7:06 PM
I read that same review and don't buy the bit about the Sears router having "more vibration." I have the Bosch and have fondled the Craftsman. It's the exact same router. The only difference (other than the fact that it's red and says Craftsman) is that it's packaged with fewer accessories than the Bosch.

JW

Glenn,
I have no first-hand experience with either router, but I read recently in a router review from the June 2007 Popular Woodworking that the Craftsman didn't test out as well as the Bosch. They found the motor to have more vibration and noise then all others tested, including the Bosch.

Personally, I suspect it was just chance, no different than how if you were to test two of the same brand/model you could get different results.

They also said that the Craftsman didn't include as many accessories, of note were a template guide fitting, a centering cone, and a vaccum hookup attachment. Also, they said the base plate was flexible, and allowed sawdust to pack in between the baseplate and the router.

Max Lucciola
08-18-2007, 7:10 PM
Ditto the switch problem. I bought mine before they offered the dual base kit so I can't comment on the plunge base. Nevertheless, I have used this router in a table and as a hand-held and think it's great. I do have the magnesium body and it does tend to oxidize a bit. Routine cleaning and paste wax does the trick.

I went to the local Sears today and although they did have the Craftsman version, it was marked at the regular price (~$220). Any advice on prodded them about the clearance?

Good luck

Steven Triggs
08-18-2007, 7:43 PM
I have the Bosch and have fondled the Craftsman. It's the exact same router. The only difference (other than the fact that it's red and says Craftsman) is that it's packaged with fewer accessories than the Bosch.

JW

Like I said, I suspect that they are the same as well. However, I suppose it is possible that the Craftsman could use cheaper bearings or some other internal part yielding a less balanced motor. Hard to really know for certain...

glenn bradley
08-18-2007, 7:48 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. Looks like the clearance deal is not going on in my area. Thanks to all anyway.

Jason White
08-18-2007, 7:58 PM
I'd keep checking back at Sears. These routers don't even appear on the Sears-CRAFTSMAN website anymore, so it's days are probably numbered.

JW

Ditto the switch problem. I bought mine before they offered the dual base kit so I can't comment on the plunge base. Nevertheless, I have used this router in a table and as a hand-held and think it's great. I do have the magnesium body and it does tend to oxidize a bit. Routine cleaning and paste wax does the trick.

I went to the local Sears today and although they did have the Craftsman version, it was marked at the regular price (~$220). Any advice on prodded them about the clearance?

Good luck

Carl Crout
08-19-2007, 2:55 PM
I have the blue Bosch, and bought my father the red Bosch (due to all his Craftsman router stuff the plate is drilled for).

My advice, buy the cheaper and swap the plate.

According to a router test in one of the mags a year or so ago, The Craftsman router is not identical to the Bosch. It has cheaper specs...:(

Randal Stevenson
08-20-2007, 1:13 AM
According to a router test in one of the mags a year or so ago, The Craftsman router is not identical to the Bosch. It has cheaper specs...:(

What magazine? I saw the one that Triggs talks about, and that one did sound like they got a bad router.