PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 746

Tom Stovell
01-25-2004, 6:23 PM
I know this tool is generally thought as overpriced, but here's the question.

Compared to other construction/hybrid saws, is this a good tool?

I know it isn't a cabinet saw and it is pricey, but from those of you who have experience with this machine, how do you think it stacks up to the others in the field?

Thanks

Tom

Bob Marino
01-25-2004, 6:44 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Stovell]I know this tool is generally thought as overpriced, but here's the question.

Compared to other construction/hybrid saws, is this a good tool?

I know it isn't a cabinet saw and it is pricey, but from those of you who have experience with this machine, how do you think it stacks up to the others in the field?

Tom,

First point, there is only one other hybrid saw that I know of (Jet) and from I have surmised, the Dewalt is at least the eqaul and probably the better saw. It is pretty close in price to some of the other higher end contractor saws. I have the 746 and like it. I needed a smaller footprint and the ability to use a sliding table that didn't take up half my garage. I have absolutely no regrets and would recommend that it is worth careful consideration if that's what your budget allows.

Secondly, as long as you know that it isn't a cabinet saw (Dewalt never stated it was either) you can compare apples to apples. You also may want to take a look at the Grizzly1023, a true cabinet saw, for a bit more money. Most of those owners seem pretty well satisfied.

Bob

Dave Avery
01-25-2004, 7:31 PM
Tom,

I agree with Bob's assessment. I've had the saw for 3 years and I really like it. I bought it because it easily made its way down into my basement, has very good dust collection, and it runs on 110. The fact that the motor doesn't hang off the back means less vibration. My saw easily passes the nickel (or penny) test. With a 30T rip blade, it'll go right through 12/4 cherry or 8/4 maple. Good luck with your decision. Dave.

EliotMason
01-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Tom,

I'll throw in another endorsement. It isn't a cabinet saw - and sometimes that's a good thing. Less weight, more manueverable, more power options, etc. The sliding table is really nifty (I don't have one yet), and for some that seems to justify the purchase.

I know some have been dissatisfied with Grizzly upon setting up the machine, sometimes exchanging pieces for a while (that's probably a minority). My 746 was unboxed in the back of the Saab (kinda a c-section for tools), slid down the stairs on its top (on cardboard), and the reassembled - and the runout was .001 and I haven't needed to adjust it in three years.

With a DeWalt 60 series blade (I don't have a WWII) I get amazingly clean rips and crosscuts that I've glued up without trouble. I suppose bigger and heavier would be better, but I haven't done anything yet that required more stability, less vibration or more power.
Sometimes I look at the bigger iron and wonder, but then always come back to "$ on tools, or $ to make things" tradeoff.

Good luck sorting through all the info out there.

Eliot Mason

Tom Stovell
01-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Eliot, Dave and Bob,
Thanks for the information on this machine. I'm to the point where I think it would be a good quality tool for my 'new' shop. I appreciate the input. I've played around with one at Woodcraft as well as some other constructions saws on display. The dust collection seems to be quite a bit better than the other saws and the overall concept/design appears to be well-thought.

As this is the last big saw I'll ever buy I am just a bit hesitant to put down the cash and then, perhaps, have some buyer's remorse.

(I ordered one from Lowe's when they had a 20% sale near Christmas. The price for the 746X was right at $720. It is on backorder, but should be available soon)

Tom

EliotMason
01-26-2004, 1:24 PM
Wow! At that price, the saw is a really good deal.

Buyer's remorse works both ways - you could buy a Felder, then realize you didn't need its capabilities, yet you've just paid $15k for it. If you really want to, you could sell the saw and be out just a few dollars, then order some big iron.

Tom Stovell
01-26-2004, 1:33 PM
Eliot,
I like the way you think....that is just what I'll do. Buy the Felder and live to regret it. Nah, not really, but the Dewalt may be coming home soon.

Thanks again for the input.

Tom