PDA

View Full Version : Flea market finds

jonathan snyder
08-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Folks,

I made a trip back to Pennsylvania last week. I did not have a lot of time, but managed to make it to one flea market.

The 71 appears to be a type 12 1942-1945 according to this type study (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/routers/stanley/stanley_71.html#Type%2012). It only came with the v cutter, but the fence is there.

Ohio Tools taper gauge & Brown & Sharp ruler

The scraper, my dad picked up at a auction for me.

Total cost was 55 bucks!! I just wish I could have hit a few more fleas!

Jonathan

Bill Houghton
08-18-2007, 8:52 PM
I've just begun to explore the capacities of router planes. Nice that you got the fence - I don't think they show up connected to the router very often.

Lee Valley and Stanley both offer replacement irons - I think, were I buying some, I'd lean toward the Lee Valley irons. I have some recent Stanley irons, and they're fairly junky; I haven't ordered much from Lee Valley, but everything I've received has been quality stuff.

Bill, no Lee Valley affiliation, just a satisfied if minor customer

Charles McKinley
08-19-2007, 7:25 PM
You had good weather to be home rust hunting Jonathan. It looks like you took full advantage of it.

Hope to catch you on one of your trips home.

Enjoy your finds.

jonathan snyder
08-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Bill,

I'm going to order the replacement blades from LV.

Charles,

It was too darn hot!! Upper nineties to 100 with really high humidity. I'm just not used to that, living in Alaska for so many years. I'm not sure where your hometown is, but I was in the Harrisburg area.

Jonathan

Stan Suther
08-24-2007, 1:56 PM
Nice finds! And finding these goodies is only half the fun. Cleaning them up, tuning and using them is very satisfying. I've accumulated old tools over the years from flea markets and such, but the ones I like the best are those I inherited from my father and grandfather. I've got a great pair of old clamps like yours that give me a thrill every time I use them, since I know whose hands used them before me.

Jake Darvall
08-24-2007, 6:43 PM
done well !...like those clamps.