PDA

View Full Version : Glue Help

Scott Felicetti
08-17-2007, 11:42 PM
any easy to use wood glue that can spend a good amount of time under water without failing? Weatherproof is not going to make it. Titebond III waterproof didn't do so well either. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Scott

Bill Huber
08-18-2007, 12:43 AM
I am sure not glue expert but it sounds to me like you need to be using Epoxy for something like that.
It sure holds boats together.

Curt Harms
08-18-2007, 8:26 AM
I would research boat building sites. In addition to Bill's suggestion of epoxy, check on resourcinol or urea formeldahyde glues. I believe those are waterproof as opposed to water resistant. You might also check Bob Smalser's posts, he's savvy when it comes to wood & water.

HTH

Curt

Brian Weick
08-18-2007, 9:24 AM
Have you considered Gorilla glue- http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm , this may be the resolution to your problem. I used this glue to assemble my elaborate landscaping timbers and it is incredibly strong and resilient to water and moisture. :)
Hope this helps?
Brian

Rob Blaustein
08-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Check out this thread (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21822).

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Epoxy or Resourcinol
Both are waterproof.
Resourcinol is boil proof

Howard Acheson
08-18-2007, 2:11 PM
What is it that you are trying to glue?

In general, any glue classified and meeting the US ANSI Type 1 specifications is suitable for long term underwater applications. It will also clearly say "waterproof". In general, two part, slow set epoxy works well if the temperature stays below about 150 degrees. The most waterproof is recsorcinol which is a two part adhesive used in the aircraft and marine applications.

Scott Felicetti
08-18-2007, 3:21 PM
What is it that you are trying to glue?

In general, any glue classified and meeting the US ANSI Type 1 specifications is suitable for long term underwater applications. It will also clearly say "waterproof". In general, two part, slow set epoxy works well if the temperature stays below about 150 degrees. The most waterproof is recsorcinol which is a two part adhesive used in the aircraft and marine applications.

I'm edge gluing 1/8" poplar. I was softening up the wood in very hot water (with a little fabric softner) to get it to bend into a mold. It kept failing. I thought it was the water but it may be the heat. It looks like recsorcinol as stated above may do the trick. Is it highly toxic? Hard to work with? What brand name is it sold under? Thanks,
Scott

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2007, 3:48 PM
I'm edge gluing 1/8" poplar. I was softening up the wood in very hot water (with a little fabric softner) to get it to bend into a mold. It kept failing. I thought it was the water but it may be the heat. It looks like recsorcinol as stated above may do the trick. Is it highly toxic? Hard to work with? What brand name is it sold under? Thanks,
Scott

This is the best csource I know of:
http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/Resorcinol_Adhesives-c14.html?gclid=COWSusrTyI0CFQIcHgodwBvN6A

However smaller units are available under the DAP brand
Carried by Aubuchon and Ace Hardware. It's a pain top ship cause it's got formaldehyde in it and that is on the HOMELAND SECURITY watch list, and it's expensive to ship.

Ian Welford
08-20-2007, 5:26 PM
Resourcinol is the way to go I think but it can leave a dark glue line. West System epoxies maybe a good alternative for heat resistance. Try their web site- sorry haven't got it to hand but google can get it- they're US based so should be easy for you.

Ian

Eric Gustafson
08-20-2007, 6:06 PM
Are bending the wood after glueing? If so the problem might be that the wood bends but the glue does not.

Scott Felicetti
08-20-2007, 8:30 PM
Are bending the wood after glueing? If so the problem might be that the wood bends but the glue does not.
Yes, I'm bending the wood after gluing. The glue line is so small. Only 3-4 thin lines on a 39" board to be bent into a 12" diameter circle. The glue can stay stiff. The wood has to bend. Thanks,
Scott

Scott Felicetti
08-20-2007, 8:32 PM
Resourcinol is the way to go I think but it can leave a dark glue line. West System epoxies maybe a good alternative for heat resistance. Try their web site- sorry haven't got it to hand but google can get it- they're US based so should be easy for you.

Ian

Should I be afraid of this stuff Resoucinol? Sounds toxic and nasty, as most of this stuff does. I see it on the shelf at Ace. The DAP Weldwood version in a small tub. Looks like it does it all. It can take the heat and water.

Howard Acheson
08-20-2007, 8:39 PM
Scott

Here is a source: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2060&familyName=Weldwood+Resorcinol+Glue.

However, this adhesive is quite brittle. I'm not sure how it would react if the glue line is going to be bent. Better test it before you make a major commitment to it.