PDA

View Full Version : Publicity

Kenn Hill
01-25-2004, 5:09 PM
I've stolen a lot of good text from several members. Hope you don't mind. The following is a copy of a note I sent to a good friend with our local newspaper. (The Odessa American) Hopefully it will be published. If so, I will post it on this forum.

Nax,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4398
The image above helped convince me that maybe I can help a little.

If you feel the following might be worthy for a letter to the editor, please edit and do it.

Freedom Pens For Our Troops
The Freedom Pen program is an all volunteer effort spearheaded by the members of SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums to provide custom hand crafted pens to American service men and women overseas.
This is a program in which any handcrafted pen maker, amateur or professional, is invited to participate in. This was also an offer that KennsPenns couldn't refuse. My brother Tom & I received permission from American Forests' Historic Tree Nursery to use wood from The Last Liberty Tree that was in Indianapolis, Maryland, to craft pens that will be sent to our troops now serving in foreign countries. Unfortunately there is only a small amount of this wood available so our quantities from this wood will be minimal. Tom and I will, however, send a little "Texas" to these brave young men and women in the near future. We'll craft a few from mesquite. (Is that Texas enough?)
The men and women in our military forces serve and protect many nations all over the world. They are provided the very best equipment and technology by our government, but they need moral support from home and positive assurance that the people of our country are behind them every minute of every day. When one of our hand made writing instruments is used to write a letter home, it is a symbol of our support and physical evidence that the people of America care deeply about their safety and are praying for their safe return home.

Every Freedom Pen that is delivered will serve as a constant reminder to our troops that they are not alone and will have our continued support until every one of them returns home.
The goal of this program is to send 100,000 handcrafted pens to these kids to let them know that the people back home really care about them and what they are doing. (I believe this goal will be met)

We can also use the help of anyone (not only pen makers) that would care to join our efforts.

Kenn Hill