PDA

View Full Version : glass ornament supplier

Stanley Waldrup
08-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Looking for a glass ornament Supplier. I had one bookmarked but missing or deleted..
Thanks
Stanley

Stephen Beckham
08-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Stanley,

http://www.marckassoc.com/

Okay - I'm not pushing these guys for a kick back - it just so happens that I'm switching to these guys for my ornaments too... They have a larger selection...

You also have Crystal By Design for glass and Crystal ornaments www.crystalbydesign.com (http://www.crystalbydesign.com)
You also have PlexiFab for Plexiglass Ornaments... www.plexifab.com (http://www.plexifab.com)
You also have Johnson Plastics and Conde' for Ceramic (sublimation) ornaments. www.johnsonplastics.com (http://www.johnsonplastics.com) www.conde.com (http://www.conde.com)

George Elston
08-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Also looking for a supplier of Plain Glass Christmas Balls, I contacted http://www.christmasbykrebs.com, but they are back ordered forever. I also have not figured out how to engrave there ornaments without destroying them, (think I need to lower the power or dpi) so a supplier that has less "high end stuff" might be better. The Christmas by Krebs line is VERY delicate.

Tom Majewski
08-18-2007, 7:10 PM
Don't know how many here follow NHRA racing here, but just today we went to the Maple Grove race and gave Ashly Force (http://ashleyforce.com/index.html) some Christmas ornaments. She seemed really happy with them and ran over to show her dad.

Scott Shepherd
08-18-2007, 7:45 PM
Very nice Tom, thanks for sharing those photos and the story. Now if you could just get Ashley Force to come over and hang them on my tree, I'd be forever grateful :)

Craig Hogarth
08-18-2007, 8:03 PM
Don't know how many here follow NHRA racing here, but just today we went to the Maple Grove race and gave Ashly Force (http://ashleyforce.com/index.html) some Christmas ornaments. She seemed really happy with them and ran over to show her dad.

how were these done?

Stephen Beckham
08-18-2007, 8:50 PM
Tom,

I'm interested in your settings, I thought this would be a cool item for Christmas Festivals, but I kept cracking the very fine glass. When the power was too low, had no effect on the painted surface.

Are these some heavy pieces or are they the very thin (normal) glass bulbs?

Tom Majewski
08-18-2007, 8:54 PM
They were done on a "laser".:D

Just kidding

I can cover about 1/3 of the surface by doing an auto-focus on the top of the ball and then moving in a few mm. The outer sides get slightly out of focus, but no one notices unless you point it out. Power is 50%, speed is 98% on my Pinncale 40W.
The color burns off and leaves a frost silver. They're normal thin glass balls.

I load up on ornaments at the local stores after Christmas has passed. Usually save 75%.

Bill Cunningham
08-18-2007, 9:26 PM
Did these about a hundred of these a couple of years ago as wedding favours..No paint, just the clear ones.. the customer brough them in, I think she bought them at LewisCraft.. I also think they are now out of business .. In Canada anyway..

Vicky Orsini
11-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Did these about a hundred of these a couple of years ago as wedding favours..No paint, just the clear ones.. the customer brough them in, I think she bought them at LewisCraft.. I also think they are now out of business .. In Canada anyway..
Hey, Bill, can I ask how you did these? In your rotary? Did they break when clamped? What settings? I have a similar request and was afraid to try for fear of having ornaments exploding in my machine.

Bill Cunningham
11-06-2007, 10:56 PM
I built a acrylic jig that held 18 balls, firmly and horizontally .. Set up the template on the computer, and did the whole bunch, never lost one.. These were wedding favours and she bought them all at Lewiscraft in the Kozlov Centre .. Lewis craft shut down a while back.. I haven't seen a decent source of clear balls since..

Leigh Costello
11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Here's a funny story - a quick one. Hubby and I decided to try to engrave some glass ball ornaments. Hooked up the rotary attachment and let 'er rip. Had to laugh at the results. The ornament did not rotate much at all because it is so light. We ended up with a very nicely done lightning bolt. Put in perspective, a magician might like the effect, but we were hoping for Merry Christmas 2007. :p Now to cut the jig and try without the rotary attachment....

Lisa Walter
11-07-2007, 11:11 AM
how were these done?

Yes i was wondering the same thing!! I tried some I got from a craft store in my rotary and what a joke...... :)

Lisa Walter
11-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Looking for a glass ornament Supplier. I had one bookmarked but missing or deleted..
Thanks
Stanley

One thing you can try..........I did this years ago (filled them with potpourri though, not lasered) if you find some that are already colored balls, put some bleach inside of the ball and a few grains of rice and swish it around. It takes the coloring out of the ball. So if you find a stronger glass ball that is already colored (but inexpensive) try the bleach.

Lisa

Lisa Walter
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Here's a funny story - a quick one. Hubby and I decided to try to engrave some glass ball ornaments. Hooked up the rotary attachment and let 'er rip. Had to laugh at the results. The ornament did not rotate much at all because it is so light. We ended up with a very nicely done lightning bolt. Put in perspective, a magician might like the effect, but we were hoping for Merry Christmas 2007. :p Now to cut the jig and try without the rotary attachment....

That is exactly what happened to me last week when I tried a ball in the rotary for the heck of it :) I am pretty new at this (haven't even built a jig yet) so this should be an experience!

Paul Brinkmeyer
11-07-2007, 2:35 PM
To get the bulb to rotate in the rotary, I cut out 2 small squares, about 1" X 1", cut a hole in one for the top and put on each side of the bulb. work good, no slipping or marring. looked good when done. I ran power 20 and speed of 100. I have been using christmas by Krebs bulbs, and not one has broke yet.

I even have painted some and lasered to get more contrast, this worked too.

Stephen Beckham
11-08-2007, 9:57 AM
Paul,

I was thinking of the same thing, but with round stock (from my lathe). Now that I know someone else was successful, I'll give it a shot...

Lisa Walter
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
To get the bulb to rotate in the rotary, I cut out 2 small squares, about 1" X 1", cut a hole in one for the top and put on each side of the bulb. work good, no slipping or marring. looked good when done. I ran power 20 and speed of 100. I have been using christmas by Krebs bulbs, and not one has broke yet.

I even have painted some and lasered to get more contrast, this worked too.

Thank you Paul! I think I might give this a go this weekend :)

Lisa Walter
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks
Stanley

Are you looking for flat glass ornaments or just round? I found a flat glass ornament supplier yesterday. I am going to post the message as a new message for everyone.....

Lisa

Paul Brinkmeyer
11-08-2007, 12:49 PM
To get the bulb to rotate in the rotary, I cut out 2 small squares, about 1" X 1", cut a hole in one for the top and put on each side of the bulb. work good, no slipping or marring.

Forgot to say what the matl. was I used for the squares.
It was rubber shelving mesh matl that keeps silverware or tools from moving in drawers when you close them.

Stanley Waldrup
11-08-2007, 6:59 PM
I was looking for flat glass type..
Stanley

Lisa Walter
11-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Stanley,

I posted a posting with the details in the forum. If you can't find it, just let me know and I will send it to you personally.

I was also at a craft store called AC Moore last night. I have been asking for months for the flat glass ornaments and kept being told "whatever they have is up front in seasonal". So every time I went to the store that is where I looked. Well guess what? I FELL across them last night back by the wood ornaments. They had about 6 different styles for $1 a piece. The supplier I listed, if you buy more than one case of 50 and including the shipping was about 99 cents a piece, delivered to your door.

Lisa

Andrea Weissenseel
06-16-2009, 7:55 AM
I digged out this thread, because I need to do samples for a customer. I experimented with the focus but cannot manage but to cover only a small area of the ball. Either I get to deep so the glass is etched (what I don't want) or the paint is not taken off enough.

The best results I have with 24-26% power and 98% speed.

Does it make sense to experiment with PPI ? Any suggestions are welcome :D

Dan Hintz
06-16-2009, 1:22 PM
Andrea,

Backing off on the PPI may help with too deep of a burn, but for glass it's not very likely. Those ornaments are, what, about 3" in diameter? Focusing into the piece halfway (about 2.5mm for a 2" FL lens), that gives you an area roughly 25mm square to work with... not a lot.

Andrea Weissenseel
06-16-2009, 2:31 PM
Dan, yes they are 80mm - I did some more tests this afternoon and had another try with 2 passes and a 50% black fill so I'm not touching the glass anymore :) - but I guess I have to make the image smaller