PDA

View Full Version : Accent Table Finished

Scott Coffelt
01-25-2004, 4:46 PM
I finished the table up this weekend. Overall I am pleased, though I wish the final result of my through tendons where a tad better. You can't tell from the pics, but there was a slight gap around the edges, about a paper or two thickness. Not much, but it was pronouced with the top coat. I had to fill (dreaded word) the edges with just a fine amount of natural filler. You can't tell unless you look pretty close. Clamping the top was a bear. Trying to get pressure right where I needed it. I could have used some deep throated clamps. Note to self, buy some next time your clamp shopping. Anyways, the top is Birdseye Maple and from my last post the base is Oak and the supports are Purple Heart. I added some Ebony keys. Finish is Black and clear Lacquer and the top has a couple coats of wax.

The wife is pleased, so I guess I am also. Still searching for that perfect quality project. There is always something I am not happy with.

Chris DiCiaccio
01-25-2004, 5:20 PM
I finished the table up this weekend. Overall I am pleased, though I wish the final result of my through tendons where a tad better. You can't tell from the pics, but there was a slight gap around the edges, about a paper or two thickness. Not much, but it was pronouced with the top coat. I had to fill (dreaded word) the edges with just a fine amount of natural filler. You can't tell unless you look pretty close. Clamping the top was a bear. Trying to get pressure right where I needed it. I could have used some deep throated clamps. Note to self, buy some next time your clamp shopping. Anyways, the top is Birdseye Maple and from my last post the base is Oak and the supports are Purple Heart. I added some Ebony keys. Finish is Black and clear Lacquer and the top has a couple coats of wax.

The wife is pleased, so I guess I am also. Still searching for that perfect quality project. There is always something I am not happy with.

That table looks great! I like your design. Because those little things bother you, that just means you'll do better on the next project. Keep up the good work.

Todd Burch
01-25-2004, 5:23 PM
Nice Project Scott! Kinda Krenov looking. Todd

Jack Diemer
01-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Looks great, how about a picture of the top. Show us those GAPS :-)

Randy Gleckler
01-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Scott,

I really like the look of the table. Looks great from here.

Randy

Jason Tuinstra
01-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Scott, great looking table. it turned out very nice. I agree with Jack, let's see pic's of that top.

Scott Coffelt
01-26-2004, 12:24 PM
I didn't take a picture of the through tendons, it was hard to get a close pic that didn't get blurred. I did take this pic which kind of shows, but not close.

Jim Becker
01-26-2004, 12:32 PM
The tenons look fine to me! Nice table, too... :D Great job and the design is striking.

Tyler Howell
01-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Great Job Scott,

Time to start another.;)

Dennis Peacock
01-26-2004, 1:18 PM
Looks great, how about a picture of the top. Show us those GAPS :-)

Now Jack..!!!! Those <b>GAPS</b> are fine..... ;)

It just adds "character" to the whole piece.....well....at least that is what "Norm says" anyway. :rolleyes:

Nice piece there Scott.....I really like the choices you made on the design and the wood. :D

Jack Diemer
01-26-2004, 1:36 PM
Now Jack..!!!! Those <b>GAPS</b> are fine..... ;)

It just adds "character" to the whole piece.....well....at least that is what "Norm says" anyway. :rolleyes:

Nice piece there Scott.....I really like the choices you made on the design and the wood. :D

Knowing Scott the way I do, you or I would need a magnifying glass to catch one of Scott's imperfections (that keep him up at night).

I've said it before and I will say it again, Scott has redone more projects than I will ever do.

Dave Avery
01-26-2004, 1:48 PM
Nice work Scott. Neat design and very well executed. Dave.

Dan Bussiere
01-26-2004, 2:03 PM
Scott,
My next door neighbor once made a table and until he showed me an inperfection he was so worried about, I never saw it! But after he showed it to me I always did see it. Rest assured no one else sees what you see in the peices your making. Present them, display them, and keep their secrets to yourself. I think it is a great peice and would be proud to show it if I made it.
Dan

Byron Trantham
01-26-2004, 2:41 PM
Scott,
Come on guy, thery aren't gaps, they're wood expansion slots! :D

Rob Littleton
01-26-2004, 3:18 PM
oh my gosh, those gaps are huge...........what gaps??

Nice job on the table dude.

A happy wife makes for a happy life :-)

Mark Singer
01-26-2004, 4:07 PM
Scott,
Excellent work! Nice design. Very pleasing.
Mark

Scott Coffelt
01-26-2004, 4:31 PM
The thing I like the best about the forums is the constant high fives we get when we gloat (show off) our work. I especially like the idea of they are expansion cracks. I figure the ever search of the perfect piece will keep me building, knowing that my search will teach me new techniques. What I find the most satisfying of WWing is ... So often in our work lives (for many I believe) we never get to see the results of our work. The nice thing about building things is when you are done, you can see what you did and also it remains as a symbol of your tribute to days gone by.

And Jack, I ain't redoing this thing. Might make another someday, but this one will sit right were it is at in my family room.

I personally look for the day that Jack can take a piece of furniture up stairs for his wife. Grasshopper is ready... in only a few short years he has gone from "what's a table saw?" to today.... I love getting people hooked and helping them spend their money.

Jack Diemer
01-26-2004, 4:55 PM
I would make something for upstairs, but I there are so many more things I could be building for my shop. :D

So if your going to call me grasshopper in the shop, does that mean I can call you grasshopper on the golf course. :D :p :D :p

Scott Coffelt
01-26-2004, 5:05 PM
Let's see 100 + 10 add a snowman, carry the the 2.