PDA

View Full Version : Shellac suitability for roll out drawers?

Alan Tolchinsky
08-17-2007, 9:19 PM
Hi All, I want to use shellac for these kitchen roll out drawers that will have pots and pans in them but wonder how it would wear. What do you think? Would poly be the way to go? I'm concerned about the smell from that.

Jim Becker
08-17-2007, 9:35 PM
That's what I have on mine....still fine since 2003...

Alan Tolchinsky
08-17-2007, 9:55 PM
Thanks Jim. Have you noticed any wear problems on the drawer bottoms? I'm concerned with abrasion caused by placing heavy pots and pans in the drawers.

Jim Becker
08-18-2007, 9:17 AM
Thanks Jim. Have you noticed any wear problems on the drawer bottoms? I'm concerned with abrasion caused by placing heavy pots and pans in the drawers.

No, but I have cushioning liners on the bottoms to cut noise and "slip-slidin'" pots.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-18-2007, 12:22 PM
That's a great idea. I'll propose that to the boss. Thanks!

glenn bradley
08-18-2007, 1:07 PM
I've done a couple dozen for various folks. All shellac. Two of the folks are relatives and I see the pullouts often. No wear; food processor, stock pots and such. I would definitly use some of the waffle drawer liners for noise and slip control but it doesn't appear necessary if the boss doesn't like the look. One person just used shelf liner as they load them with canned goods. Others have left them plain (1/4" bbply bottoms, shellaced).

Roy Hatch
08-18-2007, 1:42 PM
"Would poly be the way to go? I'm concerned about the smell from that."

You should be!

Alan, Once you start with shellac, you'll probably be hooked. It actually smells good going on and is much more durable than some would have you think. Furthermore, if it does get scratched, you will find it one of the easiest to repair.

Roy, a bit West of you

Alan Tolchinsky
08-18-2007, 3:48 PM
Thanks all, I'm experimenting with some Zinzer shellac I have in a can that is supposed to be expired now(3 yrs. after manufacture date) . But it's drying pretty fast with a 2 lb. cut. I really like shellac and hope to get better at applying it. I need a better brush for sure. But I already like the smell; it reminds me of grade school shop times. Yes, I'm going to love this stuff; it's much more pleasant to work with than my usual poly. Thanks again all.

Mike Null
08-18-2007, 4:53 PM
If you think you like shellac now just get a spray gun. You'll be hooked forever.

Glenn Madsen
08-18-2007, 6:43 PM
I've used a brush with shellac, but that's way more trouble than you need for a drawer coating. A clean rag, folded nicely into a wiping pad, does a great job, costs little to nothing, and gets tossed when the project is finished. Don't go much more than a 2 -3 lb cut, and you'll be fine with it.

Even if you go nuts, and wipe on 8 - 10 coats, they sort of melt together, and self level pretty well. 320 grit if it needs some help, then one last light coat.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-18-2007, 8:15 PM
I've used a brush with shellac, but that's way more trouble than you need for a drawer coating. A clean rag, folded nicely into a wiping pad, does a great job, costs little to nothing, and gets tossed when the project is finished. Don't go much more than a 2 -3 lb cut, and you'll be fine with it.

Even if you go nuts, and wipe on 8 - 10 coats, they sort of melt together, and self level pretty well. 320 grit if it needs some help, then one last light coat.

Glenn, Thanks so much for that idea. I was just trying to figure out where to buy a good brush for this but now I'm going to try your idea. I much prefer wipe on finishes as that's what I'm used to with the wipe on poly's. Thanks again.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-18-2007, 8:16 PM
If you think you like shellac now just get a spray gun. You'll be hooked forever.

I would love to get into spraying. Got any suggestions on an entry level spray kit? Thanks.

Jim Becker
08-18-2007, 9:43 PM
Even if you go nuts, and wipe on 8 - 10 coats, they sort of melt together,

No "sort of" about it...they completely become on layer of finish! :)

Jack Clark
08-20-2007, 4:19 PM
I would love to get into spraying. Got any suggestions on an entry level spray kit? Thanks.

Start here: http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/index.html

Alan Tolchinsky
08-20-2007, 8:29 PM
Thank you Jack, I'm looking at that site now. Great site!