PDA

View Full Version : MDO plywood - slightly OT

Samuel Mill
08-17-2007, 8:37 PM
I am about to start building a series of skin-on-frame boats. The boats are constructed upside-down over station molds mounted on a strongback. The designer recommends making station molds out of HD corrugated, as he deems currently available plywood not flat enough (agree with that last) However, I may want to build several examples of the same model, and would like to use something more durable. From what I have read, multiple density overlay plywood (MDO) would be ideal for this. However, here in Southern NJ, it is difficult to come by, and very expensive when found. A local sign shop quoted me a price of $62 for 60"x18"x1/2" piece (qty one!) that I had wanted for a different project. Is anyone here currently using this material for signs, and if so, could you give me an idea of what you are currently paying? Any clue where to find this stuff in the mid-Atlantic? Thanks in advance.

-Sam

Scott Shepherd
08-17-2007, 8:46 PM
Sam, single sided MDO price in Central Virginia was about $42 a sheet for qty of 1. Price obviously goes down with quantity. We don't have any sign supply places around here, I found it at a plywood company. All they do is wholesale plywood products to contractors. I think if you can find either a sign supply company (should be plenty in your neck of the woods), or a plywood supply house, you should find it. I think I've seen it quoted for about $35 in magazines. So $40 seems a good range from what I have seen buying in single sheets.

Joe Pelonio
08-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Here I pay $44 for 1/2" MDO 4x8 pre-primed both sides at my local sign supply. I have seen unprimed for $36/sheet at a lumber dealer but I had to buy 10 or more.

Chris Neville
07-21-2008, 2:08 AM
Steve,

I live in Richmond also... where do you buy your sheet goods? I am always looking for good suppliers.

Thanks

Chris

Scott Shepherd
07-21-2008, 7:26 AM
Chris, Atlantic Plywood is the main one. They are off of Impala Drive, Staples Mill and Glenside area. If you were standing on the platform at the Amtrak station, you'd be looking across the tracks at the place. If you have any questions of can't find the info, PM me your number and I'll give you a call with the details.

Doug Shepard
07-21-2008, 7:33 AM
I just bought some 3/4" 4x8 from Drayton Plywood in Waterford, MI a few weeks ago and it was $60-something. I think $61 or $63. They had 1/2" 4x8 for I think $48. Both unprimed and they'll sell to anybody that has money tho contractors might get a better price(?), and you can buy as little as 1 sheet. I've been using it for building the outer walls of a doghouse.

Mark Ottenheimer
12-28-2009, 9:47 PM
Sam,
Larkin Lumber in Paramus (north Jersey) carries MDO. I am not sure of the prices, but you can give them a call. I find them to be very helpful and they carry all types of sheet goods.