PDA

View Full Version : Cherry check

Peter Elliott
08-17-2007, 7:49 PM
Just checking.... I can do a test but wanted to run by the gang...

1. BLO - allow to dry
2. Dewaxed Shellac - Zinner sanding sealer
3. My favorite mixed wax, from Bri-wax.

I want to add in the sanding sealer from Zinner, I am hoping to add slight protection layer. while I done many blo/wax, following thos moser way.

Just wondering if any else has added the Dewaxed Shellac in between.

Thanks
Peter

Howard Acheson
08-17-2007, 9:52 PM
What is the item you are finishing?

Jim Becker
08-18-2007, 9:20 AM
Howard's question is valid...what is the item and how will it be used. The shellac is normally used as a barrier layer (or final finish). If you are preferring a wax finish, I'd do that right over the oil and keep things very easily repairable. If you want the added durability (and rich color/clarity) that the shellac brings, you'll want to apply it as a top coat, rather than just a sealer, and then just wax for effect.

Peter Elliott
08-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Cherry.

Jim, I do the same as you stated. BLO and Wax.. One of my fav. finish. After visiting Thos Moser, I was sold on it.

Just thinking outside the box and thought about the dewaxed sanding sealer shellac Zinner puts out.

Might bring a smoother finish, to which I ask if someone else tried.

Sounds like I need to start a test board and post results.

Peter

Art Mulder
08-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Peter I think you are misunderstanding Jim and Howard.
What kind of a project is it?

Telling us that it is cherry isn't enough. A cherry cabinet in my laundry/mud room (humid environment, takes a beating from the kids) gets a different finish than a cherry coffee table in the formal living room.

Peter Elliott
08-18-2007, 2:09 PM
OK, understand....

To hold vintage bagpipes. So the abuse would be minimal. Although the question about the shellac sanding sealer in between BLO and Wax could be for both fine and abused furniture. But not a kitchen cabinet, which I spray waterborne.

http://www.bagpipecradle.com/images/cradledetail.jpg

Jim Becker
08-18-2007, 9:45 PM
For that I'd likely stick with the BLO and wax, but BLO and shellac would also be a very nice look!

BTW, the Zinsser product is called "Seal Coat", but it's not really a "sanding sealer". It's just de-waxed shellac that can be used with pretty much any top coat.

Peter Elliott
08-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks, l've done plenty of these in BLO and Wax. Just wondering if that Seat Coat will give another "layer" for the Wax to smooth over.

I'll try it this week sometime... sounds like no one has.. and again it maybe a waste? But who knew to eat Lobster, right ;) ...

Peter

Jim Becker
08-19-2007, 9:30 AM
Peter, it will be a different look. With the BLO and wax finish, even the wax is in a minor way penetrating the wood...you get a really silky-smooth effect that way...one of the things that I (and I suspect you) love about it. Adding a film finish changes the metrics. The wax isn't really "involved" as much in the look, so you'll be seeing the shellac primarily as the finish.