PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of bugs in the wood

Shannon Grizzell
08-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Last week, I posted this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=63147) thread about a recent mesquite haul. Now I have a question. Along with the mesquite wood comes all the little critters who have clearly mistaken my turning stock for free room and board. :mad: Has anyone tried the freezing method to control bugs?

Have you tried freezing the blank before turning? Or do you freeze after roughing? Are there any ill effects (cracks, etc.) from the freezing process, especially with whole blanks.

I've also considered storing the blanks in a large ice chest with dry ice (with the lid unlatched to so it can pop open if the pressure gets too great) My thinking is that the combination of cold temps and CO2 would get all the little buggers.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Shannon........I don't know if freezing will work. I once asked a neighbor of mine about that. He's incredibly intelligent, well educated and has a lot of common sense. His area of education is biology. I'm going to explain what he told me in general terms as I don't remember the exact technical terms. He said that some bugs have a natural antifreeze and they just go into a hibernation state and thus freezing won't kill them.

I'm interested in the method that you find that works...I"ve had this problem too!

Tom Collins
08-17-2007, 1:40 PM
Something I do is to place the piece in either a plastic garbage bag or a garbage can with a tight lid, spray a little areosol insecticide into the container (avoiding direct contact with the wood) and seal up for a day or so to fumigate. Take the piece out of the container and allow to "gas out" for another day or so.

Another option is to build a small solar oven. Place wood inside and place in sun. The problem with this is you may cause problems with splitting. I don't know if you could maybe get away with it if you seal the ends well. Maybe some experimentation on a scrap piece would give the answers.

Then there is the problem of getting the critters out of the wood..........but you will do that once you start turning:D

Tom C.

Rich Stewart
08-17-2007, 2:05 PM
Centrifical force will do the trick. Then when they fly off the wood they will be dizzy and stumble around and you just step on 'em.

Brett Baldwin
08-17-2007, 2:21 PM
I like throwing my blanks in the cyclotron and letting the high energy particles do the killing. The only side effect so far is a few blanks that glow in the dark and some that seem to have drifted off to another dimension. Of course you may not have this option so the dry ice idea sounds reasonable.:D

John Taylor
08-17-2007, 2:37 PM
HI

I use two methods the first is if the piece is small enough and wont be harmed I put the piece of wood in the microwave for 2 mins on high. This kills them off but dont use the kitchen one because the smell of cooking bugs does hang around a bit. :D

If it is too big for the microwave or might be harmed I freeze it. I put the piece in a plastic bag or wrap it in plastic and seal it up. Then I put it in the freezer for at least 2 weeks regardless of size. When I take it out I leave it wrapped up for a few days for it to thaw out. The only problem with this method is if you have a few bits in there and the wife has just come back from shopping with a load of frozen items. :o :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2007, 2:38 PM
I bought a big old microwave at a garage sale for $10 for drying thin bowls so I don't have to use the LOML's in the kitchen especially with bugs in the wood. I keep it in the shop. I heat it up pretty good about 3 times so it is to hot to handle the wood. Let it cool and they are gone.

Jim Becker
08-17-2007, 4:55 PM
Well...they will "go away" when you, umm...do the turning surgery thing. Those big mesquite loving worms reportedly make a very nice splat when you catch them with the gouge.. :D :D :D

Rob Leslie
08-17-2007, 7:11 PM
Well...they will "go away" when you, umm...do the turning surgery thing. Those big mesquite loving worms reportedly make a very nice splat when you catch them with the gouge.. :D :D :D

I can confirm they make a mess on the gouge. Microwaves are your friend.:D

Richard Madison
08-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Wear a faceshield! Your face will thank you.

Chip Sutherland
08-18-2007, 9:47 AM
Boy do I know about them big juicy bugs. Really wish I hadn't worn a white shirt that memorable day.

Roger Bell
08-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, freezing works. I have been doing that for several years with stock small enough to get into my chest freezer.

I started freezing after asking two of my entomologist (bug-ologists) friends that same question as you ask.

They said a few days should be enough, but I generally go for at least a week....sometimes longer, since I often forget all about them. Kills the insects as well as the eggs. I generally have trouble with powderpost beetles and similar. I am not familiar with worms in mesquite, but I expect that these are insect larvae, right?

The basic idea is that next to nothing can survive extremes of heat or cold for very long.

William Bachtel
08-19-2007, 1:17 PM
The bottom line is these things are hard to kill. I microwave after turning.

Ian Welford
08-19-2007, 5:46 PM
You can always squirt a good insectocide down the holes with a syringe. Generally freezing works ( but is unpopular with SWMBO) but I found that stripping the bark off and coating with woodworm killer does OK.

Any really infested bits put in a bag after dowsing with woodworm killer and leave for a while. The stuff does penetrate eventually. Doon't ever belive eht etlae that its odourless though! Oh and wear gloves as it's not that good for you either.

Face mask is a must afterwards, preferably a filter mask to protect your lungs as well.

Ian

Shannon Grizzell
08-20-2007, 7:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Ken, I've done some more research and your neighbor is right (http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc97/8_30_97/fob2.htm). There are some bugs that produce a natural antifreeze -some kind of protein - that helps them resist freezing temps.

That being the case, though, I found this (http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/about/conservation/resources/insects/) information from the Harry Ranson Conservation Center at the University of Texas. It discusses methods of insect control in museum and library collections and gives some tips on what NOT to freeze. It also lists some recommends books on pest control.

I want to try to stay away from pesticides if at all possible, so I'm going to try some of the 'natural' methods first. As Ian mentioned, chemically treated wood will require some special precautions and since some this may eventually be kitchen items I'll try to avoid the bad stuff.

I'm going to try the dry ice method this week. I'll update you all on my success.

Happy Turning!