PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Maple Burl Bowl - Marlboro Man

steven carter
08-17-2007, 8:23 AM
This past winter I was able to salvage some rock maple that had been cut on my golf course. The tree was cut in about 3 ft lengths, and buried in 3 feet of snow, and the tree was a good 2 and a half feet in diameter. I got my son to help me wrestle and cut the logs into blanks, and as we were working I was telling him about burls (He is a golf course superintendent at another golf course and I wanted him to know what to be on the lookout for). Anyway we uncovered and cut several and quit for the day. The next day I went out by myself, and the very next piece I uncovered had a burl on it... go figure. This is my first attempt at turning a burl. It ended up 8.5" by 2". After reading other posts here I decided to fill the voids with instant coffee and CA. I call this bowl the Marlboro Man because it appears to have a face in the bowl with smoke drifting out of the mouth (if you use a little imagination). Finished with antique oil and beall buffed.

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2007, 8:44 AM
Very nice bowl Steve! Great looking wood and finish!

Ken Mutch
08-17-2007, 9:08 AM
Hi Steve
Good work done on some beatifull wood! Is it going to be used on the course? ......He He
Ken

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2007, 9:58 AM
Steven....Nice bowl!

Frank Kobilsek
08-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Steven,
I like this piece, Great piece of wood and it appears the shape and 'weight' of the piece are right on.

I get worried about the small foot as the piece might be tippy but its an art piece so functionality can be sacrificed a bit. Next time try brass for your fill, it really jumps off medium toned wood like this.

You seem to be on a roll lately please keep sharing the results.

Frank

Christopher K. Hartley
08-17-2007, 9:55 PM
Good one Steve. Keep it up! Very interesting wood.:)

Bill Wyko
08-18-2007, 1:12 PM
Nice job Steve. It does kind of look like the Marboro man.:D

Nancy Laird
08-18-2007, 2:16 PM
Beautiful, Steven. That burl really does some nice things.

Nancy (125 days)