PDA

View Full Version : Some Freedom Pens

Rusty Hughes, Indy
01-25-2004, 2:55 PM
Hello,

Here are two of the pens I will be donating. The red, white, and blue is a Colorply, purchased from Woodworker's Supply. They call it Patriot. A friend of mine asked me two weeks ago to make him a red, white, and blue pen and I purchased this about a week before the Freedom Pen project was announced. Pretty good timing if you ask me. The Colorply is pretty expensive, 6"x6"x1", was about $20 with shipping. The wood is unknown but it is really soft. I used a 1"x1" blank for the first one, a 10 mm cigar, and it expolded on me. Good thing I was wearing my face mask. But the next one was a 1"x1" blank for the 7mm slimline you see here. Very appropiate for the Freedom Pen project.

The second pen is out of Corian. When I first found out about the Freedom Pen project I contacted a local countertop business and asked if they had any Corian they would donate. Did they come through! Both the secretary and the worker there had sons in Iraq right now. I know have 10 slabs of Corian to use, about 5"x24"x1/2" for each one. That's a lot of pens considering this was made from 1/2"x1/2" blank.

I'll post more when I get a chance to make them. :)

Noah Alkinburgh
01-26-2004, 9:02 AM
Rusty,

Very cool! I really like that Corian one.

Noah