PDA

View Full Version : I Hope NASA is Right!

Russ Filtz
08-17-2007, 7:51 AM
They decided NOT to patch the gouge. Their tests show that it "shouldn't" be needed. I realize there's some risk just trying to patch the area, but if I was up there I think I'd like some of that paint and caulking (or even the bolt-on plate) to gain whatever extra time I could! Better safe than sorry. I would not want to be in those astronauts boots right now. :confused:

Jim Becker
08-17-2007, 8:21 AM
I'm thinking the same thing as you, Russ...I would have liked for them to at least squirt some of that goop in there, but I guess that the risk for the "space walk" (which is really a ride on the end of a long stick...) is pretty "up there" given the location and how they have to bend around the shuttle to get to the spot.

Jim O'Dell
08-17-2007, 8:30 AM
I'm very concerned also. I would think that they would do EVERYTHING possible to make sure it was as safe as could be beore bringing the crew back in it. I fear if we have another tragedy, that the space agency will cease to exist as we know it. I hope and pray that the decision makers are right. My fear is that since they wouldn't listen to the lone voice on the Colmubia accident that was launch temperature related, that they are disregarding another voice this time. Jim.

Pete Simmons
08-17-2007, 8:50 AM
Living close to Kennedy Space Center we have a lot of friends who work there. I think it is safe to say that EVERYONE on the ground at the Space Center is as concerned about this as the people who will be riding it back. I know the people on the ground do not have their lives on the line as the ones in space do, but for as much as you can, in this situation they feel like they do.

Also I bet you would find that those riding the shuttle are 100% confident in the decisions made on the ground.

They have all studied this problem to the N th degree. Lets hope they have the correct answer.

--------------------

"My fear is that since they wouldn't listen to the lone voice on the Colmubia accident that was launch temperature related, that they are disregarding another voice this time."

Jim - I hope you are wrong.
---------------------------------------

I worked in the Nuclear world for many years. There are always the I told you so people after any event.

The safe thing to do would have been KEEP THEM ON THE GROUND but we did not do that. and I for one am glad we decided to launch! Now their job is to keep the mission going as safe as possible.

I think they listen to every voice on any problem, but at some point you need to weigh the evidence and data and make an informed decision.

Lets wish them a safe trip home!

BTW - I watched the launch from about 10 miles away. We can also see the shuttle go by on its way to land from our house about 30 miles away. Even at 30 miles away on a calm day the sound shakes the windows.

Jim O'Dell
08-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Pete, I know the astronauts have complete confidence in their team. And I hope I didn't imply that they shouldn't. There are some remarkably bright people that work in that industry. I just remember the story about the engineer at the solid rocket booster company that warned his company about the cold temps and the O-ings during a conference call with NASA on the day of the launch. He alone raised concerns about it's safety. His collegues put the conference call on mute, talked it over, and overroad his concerns and instructed NASA the launch was safe. This gentleman reportedly left his job and went through years of therapy to try to get over the trauma. I certainly don't know what is safe and what is not concerning this problem, I would feel better if a patch were attempted, but for all I know, that could make things worse. I just don't want to hear a loud boom early one morning as a shuttle disentegrats above Texas again. Jim.

Rob Russell
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
BTW - I watched the launch from about 10 miles away. We can also see the shuttle go by on its way to land from our house about 30 miles away. Even at 30 miles away on a calm day the sound shakes the windows.

I'm curious, why would the sound of the shuttle landing rattle windows? My understanding is that it's a glide-in flight, not powered, although controlled free-fall might be more accurate for that flying brick.

Pete Simmons
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
It is the shuttle launch that rattles the windows.

Landing there are two quick sonic booms about 2 minutes prior to landing as the shuttle goes by at greater than the speed of sound.

The sonic booms are very loud. You notice and feel them even if you are in an inner room of the house. They are over and done with in 1 second.

The launch rumble goes on for sometime.

Being this far away the launch noise in very much controlled by the weather. If there are high winds we do not hear much.

Hope to hear 2 clear sonic booms next week.

Jim O'Dell
08-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Hope to hear 2 clear sonic booms next week.

AMEN to that! Jim.

Pete Simmons
08-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Just spoke to a friend who works there.

Now that the shuttle can get power from the space station they may extend this mission up to 18 days.
I believe, that would be the longest yet.

Pete Simmons
08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
The Shuttle just did the burn that started the decent.

Will be landing about 12:30.

Pete Simmons
08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
They were correct.

Beautiful landing!

Heard the two quick sonic booms just as we hoped.

Jim O'Dell
08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Yep, on the ground, safe and sound. I am so relieved!! Jim.