PDA

View Full Version : Dado Set Question

Wallis Hampson
08-17-2007, 7:44 AM
I have a 6" Delta dado set that I aquired from a friend. Even though its probably 15 years old it hasnt been used much and I assume it is a nice set because he only bought the best stuff. The blades and the chippers feel sharp and dont look damaged in any way.

My problem is when I try and dado across the grain of plywood....Unless I make the first pass at about 1/64 (and sometimes even then) the set tears the grain out badly. I have put masking tape over the plywood before I cut which does help some but I have since just resorted to cross grain dados with my router..

Any ideas?

Jim Becker
08-17-2007, 8:32 AM
And older set may be ground differently than many of the current, higher quality dado setups, and may not provide the "slicing" action. Scoring the line with a blade and using masking tape is a valid solution when working in sheet goods with delicate veneers in play.

glenn bradley
08-17-2007, 9:29 AM
Although the basics are about the same, advances in tooth profiles and set has come along nicely. You may want to consult a sharpening service to see if they can alter the outer plates tooth angle(?). My Freud is my first 'real' dado stack so I am talking through my hat here but, it cross cuts beautifully.

frank shic
08-17-2007, 11:16 AM
wallis, look at the points of the teeth carefully. if you can see a glint of shine, they need to be resharpened.

Scott Whiting
08-17-2007, 11:39 AM
First a question: Is the set carbide tipped?

Also Delta never really made a carbide set that was high end that I can recall. The better sets on the market for handling veneered sheet goods have negative hook outside blades and good stiff plates.

John Lucas
08-17-2007, 11:47 AM
The others may be right. Do yourself a favor and do some detective work on the set. First, are you sure that the outside blades are outside. They should be marked "This Side Out". Try using just one blade and make a pass to 1/2 of the board thickness. Mark that cut with whatever blade ID you used. Do the same with the other blade. Look at those cuts. Is there a clean side? If so, that willl be the blade that should cut on the outside of the packet. If no clean side, get them sharpened. You can also test each of the other cutters (chippers) but in my experience, the outside blades are where the quality starts. And you should be able to take a generous pass - i.e. 3/8" or so.

Bruce Page
08-17-2007, 12:38 PM
First a question: Is the set carbide tipped?

Also Delta never really made a carbide set that was high end that I can recall.

I agree. Having them resharpened may help but I think you would be better off buying a higher quality brand like Freud or Forrest.

Wallis Hampson
08-17-2007, 5:12 PM
Good advice. I appreciate all the feedback.