PDA

View Full Version : Gy-nor-mus Wood Gloat!

Joel Sauder
08-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Wow what a week! I stopped by a work working shop to thank a guy (Chuck) for a couple of pieces of wood I picked up from his free wood scraps pile. Once he hears I am a new turner, he takes me out back and proceeds to give me 2-3 large silver maple burl slabs to "play" with. I thank him profusely, leave him my card in case he ever need some help, and I am on my way.

Two days later I get a call from a guy named Jim, he says "Hey I got your name from Chuck and I hear you are looking for wood. Come by my place, I have some wood for you." So I stop by that day after work and he takes me out to his shop and starts pulling out chunks of wood for me, a little apricot, some spalted alaskan birch, some walnut, a bit of maple, some other stuff I can't remember. I thank him profusely and I am on my way.

That same day I am running errands and I see some one has taking down a couple of large trees. I stop by just to ask a few questions. Long story short, I am invited back the following night to fill up my truck with silver and hard maple logs!

And then to top it off, 2 months ago I saw someone taking off all the branches of 2 large apricot trees, but the they left the main trunks in place standing about 15 feet tall. Ever since I have been stopping by trying to catch the owners. Well persistance paid off. Saturday I will be cutting down the two 18inch trunks and adding them to my rapidly growing woodpile.

All I can say it WOW, turners are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Congrats Joel! Go get'em tiger!

Brent Dowell
08-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Gotta love Lewiston.....

Ahhh, if only I could have gotten a job there, that's where I wanted to move to....

Brett Baldwin
08-17-2007, 12:12 AM
It does seem to be a feast or famine thing with the free wood. Luckily we seem to be in a feast cycle. Congrats on the haul.

joe greiner
08-17-2007, 7:50 AM
Can't beat that with a stick (pun intended). Before you yank the trunks, consider excavating the stumps. A pressure washer can expose most of the roots so cutting them doesn't wreck your chain saw. If the lay of the land allows easy drainage, this can go fairly rapidly; if not, may take a few days and several cycles for the water to soak into the ground. Leaving the trunks high provides a place to attach a pulling line or chain with a come-along to a nearby tree. The best "equipment" for all this, absent a backhoe, is a teenage son or grandson. Otherwise, very good for exercise and weight control. Bottom line is that stumps have SPECTACULAR grain patterns.

Joe

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2007, 8:47 AM
Congrats on all the wood Joel! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Christopher K. Hartley
08-17-2007, 9:58 PM
Way to haul there Joel!! That is definitely GLOATlicious!:) :D

Pete Jordan
08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Keep it going Joel!

What a treat!