PDA

View Full Version : Garbage can on cabinet door?

Jamie Buxton
08-16-2007, 8:47 PM
The usual thing for kitchen garbage cans is that they live under the sink. You open a door, pull out the can, and throw stuff in. Other versions have the can on slides. You still open the door, pull out the can, and throw stuff in. That is, they require two motions to throw something away. Does anybody have experience with mounting the garbage can directly to the door? The door would still be mounted on hinges. You'd swing the door open and be presented with the can. That's simpler.

Tim Morton
08-16-2007, 8:57 PM
In the past I have had tilt out and pull out cans..both had the door attached to the can. I currently have a slide out can that requires the door to be opened first...its a struggle but i manage:eek: :D

Randal Stevenson
08-16-2007, 8:58 PM
I had a friend who retrofitted a house with that (kitchen mod). He didn't like it as well, as he said it got heavy and broke the part the trash can rode on.

His idea, if he did it over, was to not have a door. You pull on the door, and it's a panel that slides out with the can on it. So the trash cans weight is supported by the base cabinet.

I wish I had the space to do that (Small kitchen), but I need every bit of space for storage.

Steve Clardy
08-16-2007, 9:02 PM
I've installed one that swung out with the door.
I didn't like. Probably never do that again.
So far the customer hasn't called and complained, but thats what she wanted.

I would suggest the...open door....reach in and slide it out.

Or, get the one that the door attaches to the slide, and you pull the door and all out together.

Jamie Buxton
08-16-2007, 9:39 PM
Yeah, I've seen the setups where the "door" is actually a drawer front attached to the garbage can, which is on slides. I haven't been impressed. People expect the "door" to pivot, like most doors. And the door somehow doesn't stay properly aligned to the cabinet behind it. That's kinda why I've been thinking about the approach I posted at the top of this thread. The door pivots, and it should stay properly aligned.

One more good thing would be you get easy access to all the cleaning supplies that are normally stashed behind the garbage can, because the can has swung out of the way on the door.

These doors will have cup hinges. There's no reason I can't put three or even four hinges per door.

Nancy Laird
08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Jamie, I've had one of these, and it was THE PITS!!! For the sake of your own sanity, pass on this. Unless you want to open both doors (assuming this is under your sink with two doors), you are going to be limited to the size of the can and your significant other will begin to hate it. Been there--done that!!

Nancy (127 days)

Matt Meiser
08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd be really worried that when someone pushes down it would be a lot of stress on the hinges. Even with extras, over time I'd worry.

We have a tilt-out hamper which started life in our master bath and recently moved to the laundry room for work clothes. It is pretty simple and easy to use.

John Schreiber
08-17-2007, 12:38 AM
My sister's house has a tilt out garbage/recycling can set up. It pivots at the bottom and has stops so it doesn't open too far. The handle is at the top center of the panel and it becomes quite automatic to use.

It's not that efficient a use of space, but she has a big kitchen and it works well there.

Art Mulder
08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I've seen the setups where the "door" is actually a drawer front attached to the garbage can, which is on slides. I haven't been impressed. People expect the "door" to pivot, like most doors. And the door somehow doesn't stay properly aligned to the cabinet behind it. That's kinda why I've been thinking about the approach I posted at the top of this thread. The door pivots, and it should stay properly aligned.

You mean like this?
70139 70140

I got this idea from a Fine Homebuilding magazine 3-4 years ago.
We love it.
I used full extension slides on the slide-out tray and it is solid as a rock. Gives easy access to cleaning supplies behind it also.

When we replace/upgrade the cabinets, this idea will be used again.

Ben Grunow
08-20-2007, 7:51 PM
Any way to make a simple arm that connects the door to the slide that the garbage can rides on so the action of opening the door simultaneously pulls out the can?