PDA

View Full Version : Urethane-ing a large surface

Craig D Peltier
08-16-2007, 7:53 PM
Hi, I have to poly semi gloss I believe a built in and cannot spray it.
What should I use for large surfaces, largest being 61 x 40. Can I roll it? If so with sponge type roller? Or a 4" brush?

I can do it flat while its apart which im sure will be much easier.I need something fairly quick drying, something I can get one hopefully coat in morning and coat in evening in a garage thats not heated but should be around 70.

I have a spray gun but have only used it once and I'm running out fo time to get this installed by end of next week. Its built but face frames need to be attached and poly unit.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 8:42 PM
A pad might be easier than a brush or roller if you need to do a large area and will deposit more finish per coat than wiping. And you don't want to spray varnishes anyway... ;) ...any overspray is a major mess situation.

Craig D Peltier
08-16-2007, 9:14 PM
A pad might be easier than a brush or roller if you need to do a large area and will deposit more finish per coat than wiping. And you don't want to spray varnishes anyway... ;) ...any overspray is a major mess situation.
A pad? Like a big scrubby with a sponge on it?

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 10:00 PM
No, a painting pad. They typically have a small handle and allow smooth application of finishes over a larger area fairly quickly. The knap, like a roller, is available in several thicknesses. For varnish, one of the closer knap versions would likely be a good choice.

Craig D Peltier
08-17-2007, 1:33 AM
How about a high end 2 inch brush, using oil based so it doesnt dry as quick. Backstroking it while its wet?
DO you thing a sponge will give it to many bubbles?

Anyone?

Jim Becker
08-17-2007, 8:27 AM
Sure, you can do a brush...and a high quality one isn't really an option for good results. I only suggested the pad because it's somewhat easier to use over a broad surface for some folks.