PDA

View Full Version : United Way

Gary Whitt
08-16-2007, 5:38 PM
That time of year again here. :mad:

Hate the pressure tactics. :mad:

So, I don't give.

I give to the charities of my choice individually, without the middleman. ;)

What has your experience been with your employer :confused:

Frank Kobilsek
08-16-2007, 5:46 PM
Gary

You just hit a hot button for me. I give and I designate which of the agencies that should receive my dollars. I don't feel any presure at work to give, but because of my volunteer positions related to some of those charities I am aware of the nonsense that the charities has to deal with to be part of the United Way collection/distribution process. I wonder if its worth it.

I love to rant more but it might cost my friends.

Frank

Mike Dauphinee
08-16-2007, 5:48 PM
Gary, I don't have an employer that forces giving like many in the past have. I have been in management that has been heavy handed on the "giving" of their employees. It was never about giving, it was about taking from everyone and calling it participation. I choose my own charities. I choose who I think does a community good. This also insure that an organization such as UW does not get "their cut" and manage my money as they see fit. (However, once "given" it is no longer mine.)

I consider this place a charity worthy of my gift. I will give directly here as I doubt they are a UW charity. Nonetheless, they give back something of value.

Ted Boxman
08-16-2007, 5:53 PM
Gary, I don't have an employer that forces giving like many in the past have. I have been in management that has been heavy handed on the "giving" of their employees. It was never about giving, it was about taking from everyone and calling it participation. I choose my own charities. I choose who I think does a community good. This also insure that an organization such as UW does not get "their cut" and manage my money as they see fit. (However, once "given" it is no longer mine.)

I consider this place a charity worthy of my gift. I will give directly here as I doubt they are a UW charity. Nonetheless, they give back something of value.

Very nice. Charity should always be found where there is need.

Darren Ford
08-16-2007, 6:02 PM
I've really changed my giving methods over the years.

I quit giving to national organizations after an internationally known charity exercised their right of first refusal on some office space we needed for my company. The space sat empty for years, the charity didn't need it, but they paid the rent just to make sure they could have it if they later wanted it. At that point I decided those guys have too much money to burn.

After that I stuck with the regional and local guys, but then I found out if you give to one, they trade your name (or use the same telemarketing company), and you get hounded constantly by everyone with a non-profit status.

I have now gone to keeping the money it on hand, and giving directly when I hear of a good cause. This way I can make sure it goes straight to the person in need. Its very satisfying to be able to see your gift make a difference, and its not hard to do it anonymously if you keep your mouth shut and be careful. At the end of the year what's left over goes to Christmas gifts for local kids that need it. I get a list from the school and we go shopping.

No amount of pressure could make me go back to the old way.

Scott Henderson
08-16-2007, 6:24 PM
Very nice. Charity should always be found where there is need.

D00d,

I need a drum sander; I am worthy. Gimme:D

Joe Pelonio
08-16-2007, 6:53 PM
That time of year again here. :mad:
I give to the charities of my choice individually, without the middleman. ;)

Same here, in fact a lot of what I do is discounts/donated products from my business to certain non-profits that I choose to support. Back when I had a real job there was considerable pressure by my employer which I didn't like so
I didn't do it.

David G Baker
08-16-2007, 8:22 PM
Prior to retiring my employer would try pressure tactics to donate to the charity of their choice so I didn't give. I picked my own and gave.
The Army didn't give me a choice, I gave or else.

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 8:39 PM
Professor Dr. SWMBO's previous employer had United Way drives, but her new one doesn't to the best of my knowledge. Of course, being a major university, they, umm...strongly suggest donations for their own needs, both in money and sometimes in things like attendance at formal fund-raising affairs. I don't know if my employer does the United Way thing...working virtual has some benefits. They do have a good matching program, however, and I leverage that for our giving to various universities and charities that we prefer to support.

Dave Sinkus
08-16-2007, 8:59 PM
I have participated in the past from a "strongly suggested" participation drive so I gave $.50 a paycheck. That quieted them and got them their high participation percentage.

I will NOT contribute to the Greater Chicago UW. They have merged with all of the surrounding UW's to form one huge one. The salary of the CEO of this non-profit made $435,000 in 2005. Granted, the donations are $74 million, but that is before the costs to raise the funds. There has also been scandal over not reporting all donations. The thinking there was if I spend a $100 to make $100, it is a wash. So not all of the cash is accounted for.

It is a shame that a worthy cause is over shadowed by some hypocrisy.

What I do know is honor friends wishes when they die - in lieu of flowers, donate to ......... I feel better because it personalizes it a bit plus I am donating directly to a charity.

John Shuk
08-16-2007, 9:08 PM
My employer is very liberal in their matching program as well. I have never participated in the UW due to hearing others misgivings.

Bonnie Campbell
08-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't give to any 'organization'. To much is wasted on their overhead. I pick local things that I know need the money and use it how it should be used. At Christmas we pick a couple local places to donate that ask for specific things needed.

Matt Meiser
08-16-2007, 10:29 PM
My previous employer gave up on having a UW drive. Something about opinionated people in an opinionated town (Ann Arbor) kept participation low. Inevitably there would be mass emails about what such and such a charity did with their money. It didn't matter which charity, there was someone who KNEW what they did that was irreprehensible.

I'm guessing my current employer doesn't since our HQ is in the St. Louis area, but only about 1/2 of us live in the St. Louis area.

Robert McGowen
08-16-2007, 10:33 PM
One thing to be aware of is that if you give to UW and do not designate the charity, it is divided among all of the charities on a percentage basis. I work for a large city and it is high on the "things to do" list to donate. As many of the so-called charities on the list are not really even charities and many of them I actually disagree with, I do not go through UW at all to donate. Just my $.02

Roger Bell
08-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Employer sponsored United Way drives have had a notorious reputation in the Federal Government. In the past, they often amount to little more than shake-downs. Particularly when there were "contests" to see which Department could raise the most money, etc. Managers would pressure sub-managers and down the line as another way to reap brownie points with the big-boys. One's peers would harass their fellows to the extent that some would give simply to keep peace. I believe we have seen some improvement in recent years, but the potential for abuse always remains.

My personal opinion is that it is never appropriate for any employer or supervisor to solicit money or gifts from subordinate employees for any reason....ever. Especially in the public sector. Things of this sort, including retirement parties, birthdays, bereavements, etc. should be informally organized by peer groups rather than by Management and employees should be free to choose not to participate or contribute without fear of retribution or harassment of any kind. Employees being harassed should have some formal right of redress.

Personally, I prefer the more direct route that most have already described and do not give the UW. But, in defence of the UW, some find it convenient and effacacious to do so by payroll deduction.

Rick Gibson
08-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I used to give to designated charities through the uw at my past employer. Found out from a former uw worker that they determined ahead of time how much each charity was going to get. So if the charity I designated to, had been determined to get 5000 and I designated 100 to them they did not get 5100 they still only got 5000. On paper uw moved my 100 to them but inside the 5000 they were going to get anyway. When I got a list of the charities for the area I lived in at the time I found a bunch I did not agree with so I stopped and now donate directly.

John Schreiber
08-17-2007, 12:32 AM
I used to be a big supporter of United Way, in fact, I've spent most of my life working for United Way supported social service agencies. In general, (that means that it may or not be true for you) it is true that people are more likely to give if they have a relatively painless way to do so like payroll deduction. That means that because United Way is there, people do give more and charities do get more.

So, I do not think United Way is a bad thing. BUT, I do not participate.

In my area every dollar which passes through through the United Way has eight cents taken off the top before it gets to the charity. I'm not willing to take an 8% charge for something I can do myself. Every Thanksgiving, we sit down as a family and talk about where we want our money to go. Then we send it there ourselves.

When we send it, we specify that aside from one letter or receipt, we do not want to hear from them again and that if we do, we will not send them another penny.

Gary Whitt
08-17-2007, 1:35 PM
Employer sponsored United Way drives have had a notorious reputation in the Federal Government.
Believe me, it's not just at the Fed level :(

Dave Fifield
08-17-2007, 2:38 PM
Charity ratings - I have found this website to be useful:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.alpha&ltr=U

Regards,

Mike Wilkins
08-17-2007, 2:48 PM
About 15-20 years ago in another town, I used to give regularly to United Way at my place of employment.
Until I found out that the director of the local UW chapter was being paid a six figure salary. That killed my enthusiam for giving to that organization.
That info just did'nt set right with me and I stopped giving. I feel better giving at my church.

Bryan Somers
08-17-2007, 5:00 PM
Believe me, it's not just at the Fed level :(

Ditto that!

I'll soon be having to sit through another "employer sponserd" lecture of how great they are and how wonderful we are for supporting them. Oh yes and you should be ashamed if you dont support them.

Just remember The United Way is mainly a fund raising orginization and a sizeable percentage never gets to the charity. If you want to support them thats ok with me. I'll just give directly to the oginizations I want to support.

Thomas Canfield
08-17-2007, 8:36 PM
I personally feel that charitable giving is an individual choice, but I also support United Way as part of my charitable giving. United Way has been a "clearing house" for me over the years and can be referred to when others request donations. That does not mean United Way is the only charitable organization I support, but the matching donation by employer makes a little go further. I guess I got into the habit over 40 years ago when starting my career and wanting to pay back some of my good fortune to the less fortunate. Then, as now, there were some organizations that I would not support as an individual, but would as part of the package. There is always a lot to complain about on how the organizations are run and the money spent, but then when we have complaints WE need to get involved and do something about it. Most don't.

I'll make a one time donation again this year even though working as a consultant for a company, they will match the donation to have it added into the company total - good deal for both.

Give United Way a chance. Look at all the good that is accomplished even with the problem areas.

Gary Whitt
08-18-2007, 4:44 PM
Give United Way a chance. Look at all the good that is accomplished even with the problem areas.Had an aunt and uncle ask for their assistance.
Neither worked and both had health issues, thus causing paying bills difficult.
They got no assistance from United Way and were basically told ...
well, I'm not even gonna go there. :(

Brian Kent
08-18-2007, 6:41 PM
I'm a pastor of a local church, which is supported by donations. It is almost miraculous that people are generous to keep so many churches and non-profits going. With that said, it is very important to me never to know who gives what, especially my church employees. We also try to avoid all kinds of manipulation.

If this is alright to ask, I would love to hear what charities - local or otherwise - that you have found that you trust and don't hesitate to give to when you can.

Some of mine:
Salvation Army.
Our local homeless feeding program.
Our local Teen Challenge because of their high addiction recovery rate.

(I won't name any that are connected with my church so the question won't be self-serving).

Pat Germain
08-19-2007, 5:25 PM
Colorado Springs has a local charity called Association for Retarded Citizens (ARC). They have a thrift store which seems to be run efficiently and frugally. My wife and I gladly donate a lot of stuff, much of it very nice, to ARC. :)

I also support my church which supports charities worldwide. My wife makes boxes for Operation Christmas Child ever year. I've talked to people who worked in some pretty hellacious areas and they all say they've seen those Christmas boxes end up in the hands of kids and they really love them. (Some folks have a problem with this charity because Christian missionaries often talk to the kids, but I don't mind this.)

You know, my employer, which has over 50K employees, used to sponsor an annual United Way Drive, but I can't remember the last time they did it; maybe three years ago? I never gave. Most of the time, it wasn't possible to specify which "charities" received the funds. I have a big problem with one UW charity in particular and didn't want to support it by default.

Anyway, as so many others have pointed out, it seems much more efficient to give to local charities. I find it interesting that the UW thing may be getting lousy participation nation wide.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2007, 9:54 AM
The poor will always be among you. I need a Re-saw.

Carl Eyman
08-20-2007, 10:30 AM
The original idea behind UW was to make it simpler for the giver - one check does it all. I feel that is still true. While giving to individual charities may make the giver feel better because he's supporting a charity that he favors, what about the other charities that he overlooks? Charities that most people may not even know exist, but which are important to the community? Without UW many of the community's needs would go unmet - IMHO

Darren Ford
08-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Its obvious to me that UW is despised by some, loved by some, and tolerated by others. If you like the UW and the simplified giving, then by all means give -- but the original post was commenting on the pressure tactics, surely we can all agree that if someone does not want to give to the UW then they should not be pressured into doing so.

David Epperson
08-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I used to work for a subsidiary of J&J (the band aid folks) - I tried to not participate one year and got told that it "wasn't a good idea" since the 100% participation was a corporate PR goal. So I allowed the minimum extortion amount and specified the BSA as a recipient. :D

Bob Moyer
08-20-2007, 1:17 PM
Gary

I give and I designate which of the agencies that should receive my dollars. Frank

Frank,

If you designate the funds will go there, but it doesn't matter, each agency submits a budget.

For Ex.
Agency A - $1,000
Agency B - $2,000

If you designate to "A", other non-designated funds will then go to "B" to make up the difference. I was in charge of the local chapter's fund raising for a national organization and they did not participate in the United Way for this reason.

You are better off giving directly and give to the local chapter/agency.

Bob Moyer
08-20-2007, 1:22 PM
I've really changed my giving methods over the years.

I quit giving to national organizations after an internationally known charity exercised their right of first refusal on some office space we needed for my company. The space sat empty for years, the charity didn't need it, but they paid the rent just to make sure they could have it if they later wanted it. At that point I decided those guys have too much money to burn.

After that I stuck with the regional and local guys, but then I found out if you give to one, they trade your name (or use the same telemarketing company), and you get hounded constantly by everyone with a non-profit status.

I have now gone to keeping the money it on hand, and giving directly when I hear of a good cause. This way I can make sure it goes straight to the person in need. Its very satisfying to be able to see your gift make a difference, and its not hard to do it anonymously if you keep your mouth shut and be careful. At the end of the year what's left over goes to Christmas gifts for local kids that need it. I get a list from the school and we go shopping.

No amount of pressure could make me go back to the old way.

Darren,

I give the same as you, I was very fortunate to be able to give directly (gift cards and cash) to individuals who lost everything to Katrina. To not only see the joy they experienced but to actually take them to the store was an experience I will always remember. My wife and I recently found out about someone who could not afford to get their vacuum cleaner fixed, we went and purchased an excellent used one with a 3 year warranty. Sometimes as we look at buying expensive items we forget that their are people out there who can not afford the basic items.

Pat Germain
08-20-2007, 2:45 PM
The original idea behind UW was to make it simpler for the giver - one check does it all. I feel that is still true. While giving to individual charities may make the giver feel better because he's supporting a charity that he favors, what about the other charities that he overlooks? Charities that most people may not even know exist, but which are important to the community? Without UW many of the community's needs would go unmet - IMHO

You make some very good points, Carl. Unfortunately, many charities have not been good stewards with their donations. The only way to weed out bad charities is to stop giving to them. If the UW keeps supporting them by default, they'll still misuse funds.

I don't know if it was ever a part of UW, but there was a rather large charity not long ago called "Hugs Not Drugs". They had great, sentimental posters and held rallies and huge fundraisers. Eventually, this "charity" was found out to be little more than a cash cow for the woman who was the executive director. Hugs Not Drugs actually did almost nothing other than collect money and hold fundraisers. This is an extreme example, but many other charities are almost as bad.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are some very good charities which have trouble getting the word out and finding donors. It this case, UW would be very helpful.

TYLER WOOD
08-20-2007, 3:26 PM
I used to have a fellow employee that helped with the fund drives. I had to tell him each year, NO!!! I felt bad because I like some of the charities they support, but here is the main reason I won't

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/3/31/52900.shtml

This is not an attack on who the BSA are not letting be leaders. But that United Way is trying to run the BSA by telling them who they can and can't let be leaders. The UW should not be telling anyone how to run their organizations, especially when they are the BSA, and trying to promote traditional family values!!!!

Gary Whitt
08-21-2007, 3:58 PM
United Way is trying to run the BSA by telling them who they can and can't let be leaders. The UW should not be telling anyone how to run their organizations, especially when they are the BSA, and trying to promote traditional family values!!!!
Q F T !

BCOT

Scott Donley
08-21-2007, 7:07 PM
promote traditional family values!!!!Yours or mine ? As a single father the last 20 years I could tell you all the things my daughter was excluded from, but I won't bother. UW is just a clearing house for funds and to get those funds they NOW try not to include people for their religious or political rules that exclude the otherwise needy. I no longer support UW or the BSA ( ex scout here ) but I don't see where UW was telling BSA how to run their organization, only what their rules are to get the free money.

Al Willits
08-22-2007, 9:18 AM
Where I work sends us off to watch the UW spiel on why we should contribute, then sends each of us a package with more stuff and the from to fill out for payroll deduction, which I promptly toss in the wastebasket. Sorry, I don't like being browbeat to give to a charity I don't like, to many scams to much wasted money, and corporate execs making far to much money for my thinking.

Used to give to Make a wish but they got to PC for me, did things
like they wouldn't let some kid go hunting, so I dumped them too.

Now I give to anything related to the Vets, like Fisher House and occasionally to NORML, although haven't heard from them lately.

Al

Jim Brecker
08-22-2007, 9:31 PM
Q F T !

BCOT

BCOT :confused:

Michael Gibbons
08-27-2007, 3:46 PM
My company wants to have you hand in the contribution form back in even if you don't want to give because the UW implied that we weren't getting the forms in the first place. Talk about some gistapo tactics! My wife and I decided that we would help people out when and where we see fit. Example: My wife is an AYSO volunteer and oversees that kids that want to play-play. Some parents though are strapped finacially, So my wife either finds donations or we pay out-of pocket. During Christmas, my wife finds out about patients that come to the Dr's office she works at are hard up. She and the rest of the staff pick the neediest families and the basically pitch in and buy bags upon bags of groceries so they can have a holiday meal. They usually help about 5 families. I once heard about Paul Neuman's charities were under fire by others because of the low overhead he maintained. A much larger percentage from his was making it to needy causes.