PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Lasers

James Carpenter
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
I recently put a low bid on Ebay on a 12w laser. My thoughts were if i could get a low wattage cheaper i could upgrade it cheaper than buying a more expensive laser. Since i did that,i have received many, many emails from people/companies overseas wanting me to buy a laser at a very reduced cost. For example a pinnacle that runs in the 10k price range was being offered to me brand new at $3500. This to me,seems odd. Are there different versions of the same model that would give reason for this lower price? Anybody else ever run across this? I have not responded to any of these individuals, but these lower cost are right up my ally. I also believe that if they are offering the 12w system they would also offer these reduced prices for a higher watt machine. Any thoughts?

George Skinner
01-25-2004, 5:36 PM
I would be very cautious about these to good to be true deals. I have seen a few scams from overseas on a few items and was fortunate enough not to bite.
As for a laser I would not get anything less then 25 watts as you will be very limited in what you can do. I have a 35 watt and sometimes wish I had one with more power.
I would also stick with a well known brand with some history in the business as when you need support in the future these overseas new companies might not be around to help.
My laser is a large format from "Vytek" and there support has been very good. I would also look at Epilog, Universal, and Xanetech for the smaller format lasers.
Hope this helps.

Keith Outten
01-25-2004, 9:04 PM
James,

I agree with George, it seems that there are very few people who are familiar with the overseas laser machines. Without some kind of reference from another owner you are limited to the manufacturers information and sales pitch.

It's understandable that given the cost of laser engravers everyone is interested in such a huge savings but in the back of my mind I keep hearing "Let the Buyer Beware".

If you purchase one of these machines please let us all know how it works out for you, we will then have a third party reference.

Charles McKinley
01-26-2004, 12:14 AM
Hi James,

Be very careful of any unsolicited offers from sellers. I believe this is a violation of ebay policy and you would have no protection that ebay offers its users. The other thing as mentioned above is who do you call if if doesn't work?

Good luck