PDA

View Full Version : "Hybrid" tablesaws a bit "tipsy!"

Jason White
08-16-2007, 4:01 PM
A warning about so-called "hybrid" tablesaws...

My neighbor across the street has a Craftsman hybrid tablesaw with a Biesemeyer fence (this is the newer saw manufactured by Orion that's gotten lots of great reviews -- fully-enclosed cabinet, etc.).

Not long ago I'm sitting in my living room with the windows open when all of a sudden I hear a loud "bang" that I could actually feel. While wheeling around his new saw in the garage, the thing tipped over. Busted the fence right off the saw!

I don't know all the circumstances that led to the fall, but my guess is he had one or more of the wheels locked and pushed a bit too hard while trying to move it.

Anyway -- I've often thought the hybrid-type saws look a bit top heavy and tippy. I can't imagine it would take much to knock one over, especially if it's sitting on a mobile base.

JW

scott spencer
08-16-2007, 4:09 PM
That's a really tough break (pardon the pun) for your neighbor. I don't roll mine around much Jason, but I can't imagine what it took to knock one over...that saw weighs in at 425# and essentially doesn't budge in use. Mine is considerably more stable than my 300# contractor saw was, and I always thought was stable until I got the 22124.

That said, you raise a good point that saws are top heavy in general by the nature of the cast iron tops and high motors. Does your neighbor have insurance coverage for that?

Jason White
08-17-2007, 7:50 AM
This actually happened with my 6" RIDGID jointer once. I've got it on a mobile base and it took a tumble in the driveway. Luckily, I've got an asphalt driveway, which is relatively soft (compared to concrete). The driveway has a big gouge in it, but the base and fence on the jointer are still straight. WHEW!!

That jointer is VERY tippy and I don't really recommend putting it on a mobile base if you can get away with it.

Hybrid saws, to my eye, are a little "spindly" underneath -- not as wide of a base as full cabinet saws, which means not as wide of a "stance."

Jason

That's a really tough break (pardon the pun) for your neighbor. I don't roll mine around much Jason, but I can't imagine what it took to knock one over...that saw weighs in at 425# and essentially doesn't budge in use. Mine is considerably more stable than my 300# contractor saw was, and I always thought was stable until I got the 22124.

That said, you raise a good point that saws are top heavy in general by the nature of the cast iron tops and high motors. Does your neighbor have insurance coverage for that?

scott spencer
08-17-2007, 8:47 AM
This actually happened with my 6" RIDGID jointer once.

...so, I'm not the only one! :eek: :o

welcome to the club! ;)

glenn bradley
08-17-2007, 9:25 AM
I'm going with - too much speed or force behind the saw when the wheel locked on a small rock or wood chip on the floor. I added extra cast iron extensions on my 22124 and can't imagine having enough strength to tip it over with or without the extra iron. It can obviously happen though. I hope he just snapped a bolt and not the cast iron. Condolences to your neighbor, that's a first for me.

Bart Leetch
08-17-2007, 9:31 AM
I needed to lower my jointer just a little so my fence is below the bench & Unisaw top the result is it is wider & longer & more stable too.