PDA

View Full Version : Palmgren Headstock

Bobby Perry
08-16-2007, 3:57 PM
UPS just delievered my 4th or 5th headstock not sure now which one it is. Hope this one is a good one :D

Matt Meiser
08-16-2007, 4:41 PM
Uh, good luck ???? Sounds like you need it :(

Alex Cam
08-16-2007, 5:51 PM
That's no good that you've been through that many. I haven't had any problems with mine (knock on green wood). While I certainly can't wait to upgrade, I'm quite please with the lathe for what it cost.

Bonnie Campbell
08-16-2007, 7:30 PM
Good luck with the new headstock! I'm still leery of doing anything big on mine. Working good for pens though LOL

Bobby Perry
08-23-2007, 8:35 PM
Been out of town for a few days. Got back took the headstock out of the box. Took the headstock off my lathe. went to set up the new headstock. Guess what ??? The new headstock won't work. Look at the pictures. The Craftsman is the one I been using and the Palmgren is the one they sent.

The Palmgren has no holes for the lock down bar.

Bill Stevener
08-23-2007, 8:50 PM
If it's of any help, I believe you can interchange that lower plate. Several years ago I had the same situation. After three head stock replacements ( the third one blew up} I got smart and dragged the whole mess into the Sears store and demanded my money back. Kinda under the customer satisfaction guarantee (like I was not satisfied). I did get to keep the other two head stocks and combined the parts and now as one it resides on one of my work benches and is utilised for the Beal buffing system. Quite noisy though. Good Luck.;)

ps: comes off quite hard.

Bobby Perry
08-23-2007, 9:15 PM
If it gets changed they will do it in there shop. I ain't even going to send these back unless they send somebody to pack them up.:mad: I am tired of messing with them.:mad:

Bill Stevener
08-23-2007, 9:34 PM
Just tell them they sent you the wrong one and they will send you another one. They never asked for mine back, they don't even know how to fix them. Maybe some day you can open your own store.
Believe me, I know the feeling.

Bonnie Campbell
08-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Sorry to hear you're STILL having problems Bobby. You'd think they'd have things straightened out by now :(

I finally got around to trying the new lock pin they sent.... it doesn't fit. Oh well, think I can sand it down to fit?

Jim Podsedly
08-24-2007, 7:58 AM
Is it possible to bend the rotating shaft on the headstock?

I have a Palmgren and was turning a 7"x7"x4" blank of walnut. Made the bowl and just thought the blank was out of round.

Well went to turn a pen out of olivewood last night and the mandrel appears to be doing an oblong turn. The blanks were drilled exactly in the center, too.

Make sense? I have only had my Palmgren for 7 months....

Is this possible to bend the shaft? (not sure that is the proper name).

Thanks,
Jim

Bobby Perry
08-24-2007, 8:14 AM
Jim I am begining to think anything is possible with these lathes.:D

Bob Hallowell
08-24-2007, 8:59 AM
Bobby,
Sorry to here you are having so many problems, I only went through one headstock and that one worked great.

Bob

Patrick Taylor
08-24-2007, 9:48 AM
Jim I am begining to think anything is possible with these lathes.:D

Bobby I'm really sorry about your hard time... and same to all the other folks in the past (Bonnie!) that complained about palmgren. Waiting to turn because of hardware failure is no fun! I guess I know what lathe I'm going to avoid...

Bobby Perry
08-24-2007, 9:59 AM
I also have a jet mini vs so I can still turn. Does anyone have the phone number for Palmgren their website is down?

Disregard the phone number. I found it. I just talked to them and they are going to call me back about a full refund. If and when I get it I will be buying me a new Jet to go with my mini vs.

Bill Stevener
08-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Is it possible to bend the rotating shaft on the headstock?

I have a Palmgren and was turning a 7"x7"x4" blank of walnut. Made the bowl and just thought the blank was out of round.

Well went to turn a pen out of olivewood last night and the mandrel appears to be doing an oblong turn. The blanks were drilled exactly in the center, too.

Make sense? I have only had my Palmgren for 7 months....

Is this possible to bend the shaft? (not sure that is the proper name).

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Well, although it is possible to bend the spindle, it is highly unlikely. The first thing to do is to obtain a dial indicator and check it. This will indicate weather the spindle may be bent, or another possibility is the lead bearing is bad.
Another cause of your situation may be the result of an improperly seated face plate and or the Chuck, whichever you are using. I would check this first.
Hope this helps some.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I've developed some eliptical pens when I overtightened my tailstock on the pen mandrel.....

Bobby Perry
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Couldn't stand it I just ordered Jet JWL-1642 EVS 1-1/2 HP . Now the wait will kill me, if the wife don't kill me first when she finds out :D
(http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17110)

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2007, 1:11 PM
Congrats Bobby. When my C-man went belly up I ordered the Nova DVR. Then just for kicks I called Sears and had them fix it anyway. I figured I paid for the extra warranty let them fix it. I knew this would happen when they did fix it the last time I already had the DVR and guess what the C-man hasn't broke yet.

Bobby Perry
08-24-2007, 1:14 PM
Reason I didn't get the 220 2 HP was I didn't want to have to run 220 to my garage.:D

Bobby Perry
08-24-2007, 5:39 PM
Just got off the phone with Mark at Palmgren. They are giving me a full refund, and from what I can understand I don't have to send anything back.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2007, 6:46 PM
If that is the case Bobby you have nothing to lose by seeing if you can switch the bottom piece off the C-man to the Palmgren head. It looks to me like it would be fairly simple being held on with just screws according to my manual. If it runs ya got a lathe and if it don't run it to the metal yard. Sounds like you won't be out anything. Since mine started working and has been working I setup my monster capture rig on it and just leave it setup. I do all my hollow forms on it.

Bobby Perry
08-24-2007, 7:04 PM
The Cman unit runs great. I have another palmgren unit sitting in the floor that is locked up. I will use the one off it and have 2 headstocks that work. At this time I have 3 headstocks sitting in the floor. I will wait till I am sure they don't want them back before I do anything to them.:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2007, 8:59 PM
Get your money in hand and then go to work. Sounds like it is going to work for you.