PDA

View Full Version : Pattern cutting on router table

Lou Ferrarini
08-16-2007, 2:12 PM
How do you guys do it? Pattern on top or bottom of workpiece? Best bit to use?

Asking cause I need to make some arched cabinet doors.

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 2:15 PM
Not something I've done often, but I like the pattern on top method as it make it easier to put handles for safety right on the pattern...

Lou Ferrarini
08-16-2007, 2:16 PM
Thanks Jim, thats a good point. Speaking of which, If anyone out there has made a jig to make this easier, I would love to see some pictures.

Jeff Clow
08-16-2007, 3:02 PM
Both ways have advantages.
I have also done it with pattern on the bottom. I like to use toggle clamps to hold the piece in the pattern. I haven't used handles, but they could be added to the blocks that hold the toggle clamps....or just use the clamps for handles.
I guess some of this depends on the shape & style of the patterns, whether it is feasible to have blocks & clamps somewhere that no cuts need to be made.
On the other hand, with the pattern on top, you can also see how well you are tracking the pattern.

glenn bradley
08-16-2007, 4:11 PM
I'll chime in with 'pattern on top' using a flush cut bit (bottom bearing which ends up on top when your router is in the table). I'll recommend the largest diameter bit you can tolerate based on your shape. Larger bearing seem to cut cleaner in my experience.

You ask about a jig which tells me you are doing some smaller pieces. I heartily recommend it for comfort and safety. Here (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=41780&cat=1,43000) is a commercial one. Many folks just attach a piece of scrap that is the same thickness as their workpiece to a piece of 1/4" hardboard and attach a couple toggle clamps.

I'll try to find an example.

Steve Clardy
08-16-2007, 4:44 PM
Pattern on top.
As Jim states, handles can be easily installed for better control, and keeping your hands, fingers out of the way in case the bit grabs the material and launches :eek: it into the unknown.;)