PDA

View Full Version : New member tool gloat =)!

Chris Pasko
01-25-2004, 12:34 PM
OK, I figure since I'm new, and I see these other festool gloats, I can get a sucker gloat in =). Here she is, I just received these little beauties about 2 weeks ago. As a side gloat, I did just snag up Jim Becker's sweet 1018 oneway lathe as well =).

http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/IMG_3106.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/IMG_3108.jpg

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Dang Chris! That's like "instant WW Shop"! What? Just add water and there you have it? Nice scores! VERY nice. Wish I lived closer to Becker or the Oneway would've been in MY shop!

Anyhow, welcome aboard! You're in great company here and within reach of Jim B., you'll have plenty of guidance real handy, too. Stop in often and stay long! Now, get back to the shop and setup all them tools! :cool:

Fred Voorhees
01-25-2004, 4:40 PM
Well, the more often Jim continues to upgrade, the more of us will benefit! I will be taking posession of his current Oneida dust collection system after we take a day trip up to Syracuse, NY to pick up his new Oneida monster system. Can't wait to have a "healthier environment" for working in my shop.

Fred

Chris Pasko
01-25-2004, 6:52 PM
Dang Chris! That's like "instant WW Shop"! What? Just add water and there you have it? Nice scores! VERY nice. Wish I lived closer to Becker or the Oneway would've been in MY shop!

Anyhow, welcome aboard! You're in great company here and within reach of Jim B., you'll have plenty of guidance real handy, too. Stop in often and stay long! Now, get back to the shop and setup all them tools! :cool:
Thanks, I cant wait to get to working! I have all this stuff just sitting in my shop, and havent gotten my new shop set up to start any projects =(. Shortly though, oh yes!

Thanks for the welcome!

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 7:32 PM
I have all this stuff just sitting in my shop, and havent gotten my new shop set up to start any projects

You conveniently forgot to mention the "big iron", Chris...'come on, show us the combo machine! :D

Nathan Roelofs
01-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Chris,

Please, please show us the combo-- especially if it is the 8.5' slider (I'm waiting on mine-- I pick it up in May). I would love to see many shots of your machine. As you know Mini Max is great, but the brochures/documentation are not so great. I've been looking at a German distributor's website to try and find a picture of the Smart with the longer slider.

By the way, your Festool pile looks alot like mine, but I still need to get the vac-- also, let us know how you like the MFT!

Come visit the MM board (if you haven't already!).

Nathan

Chris Pasko
01-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Hey guys, I have a couple of pics of my machine around the time I received it (during the blizzard in 2003). They aren't the best, but I haven't gotten any recent shots of it. I don't have any of my MM20, and I'm not sure why. I did just get my lenox 1" tri metal blade! Cant wait to give that puppy a go!

Anyway, here she is, she has a 8' slider, and a tilting shaper =).

http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/DSC00034.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/DSC00035.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/DSC00036.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/DSC00037.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/DSC00038.JPG

Chris Pasko
01-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Chris,

Please, please show us the combo-- especially if it is the 8.5' slider (I'm waiting on mine-- I pick it up in May). I would love to see many shots of your machine.

BTW Nathan, you will love your machine! The limited time I have had on mine has been great, there is nothing like cutting up a 4x8 piece of 3/4 oak ply with one finger =). Not to mention being perfectly square and chip free without the scoring blade going. I love this thing! I also just got a MM insert knife kit with every profile they have and a nice 1/2HP steff feeder. Cant wait to set that bad boy up! You may want to look into one as well, that shaper is a scary beast!

John Weber
01-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Sweet! I love the buck 99 broom hanging on a multi thousand dollar machine. Between the MM and Festool you are high end.

Congrats - John

Jim Becker
01-26-2004, 9:03 AM
I anyone has never touched one of these sliders (Mini Max or similar), next time you are at a show where they are on display, don't forget to do so. Smoooooooooooth...

Thanks for posting the pics, Chris.

Tyler Howell
01-26-2004, 9:21 AM
You win too Chris!

Nice new toys, Only problem is you wont have chips flying. They will all be sealed up and filtered out in all that hi tech, heppa clean, ultra-quiet equipment you have there. ;)
Now lets see the rest of the shop and some results. We Love pictures.:cool:

Chris Pasko
01-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Sweet! I love the buck 99 broom hanging on a multi thousand dollar machine. Between the MM and Festool you are high end.

Congrats - John

Thanks, I figured it added character to the photo.
http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/ROFL.gif

I anyone has never touched one of these sliders (Mini Max or similar), next time you are at a show where they are on display, don't forget to do so. Smoooooooooooth...
Thanks for posting the pics, Chris.

Hey no prob Jim, I love the chance to show my baby! I am going to snag a few more shots today and post =). You are right, the slider is like pushing a hot knife through butter!

You win too Chris!

Nice new toys, Only problem is you wont have chips flying. They will all be sealed up and filtered out in all that hi tech, heppa clean, ultra-quiet equipment you have there.
Now lets see the rest of the shop and some results. We Love pictures.

Hehehe, I wish, that however is the one thing missing from my shop still, a nice dust collector. I will be purchasing a 3hp commercial Oneida shortly, but am unsure of my shop layout. I am going to call and discuss it with them to see if I can get their design after I purchase the DC? Or maybe just wait!

Chris Padilla
01-26-2004, 12:52 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~pasko/DSC00034.JPG

Gulp! Where's the beer tap on that beast?? :D

I applaud your tool budget and shop space...with perhaps the most ulitmate gloat I have ever seen in a single post, we will expect GREAT things from you, person-of-the-same-name!

:)

Chris Pasko
01-26-2004, 9:11 PM
Gulp! Where's the beer tap on that beast?? :D

I applaud your tool budget and shop space...with perhaps the most ulitmate gloat I have ever seen in a single post, we will expect GREAT things from you, person-of-the-same-name!

:)

:D Thanks Chris, the space is gonna get small quick. I am in the process of moving my stuff from the nice 36x40 to a 24x24. I will get by, but the space sure was nice.

I hope to be able to achieve great things, if so, I will keep everyone posted!

Mark Singer
01-26-2004, 9:16 PM
Wow! Lots of great stuff! There is even snow outside...its beautiful. Enjoy it!

Tyler Howell
01-26-2004, 10:14 PM
What's your background Chris? Are you a pro, hobbiest, tool freak? Doesn't really matter you've got tip top shelf. What is your specialty I should say.

PS Don't move!!!:( Big Space Good!!!!

Chris Pasko
01-26-2004, 11:26 PM
What's your background Chris? Are you a pro, hobbiest, tool freak? Doesn't really matter you've got tip top shelf. What is your specialty I should say.

PS Don't move!!!:( Big Space Good!!!!http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Rant-On.gif

To be honest, I am pretty much a newbie. My only real experience with wood working was my 4 years in high school. We had an extensive art program (one of the best in the country) and I loved working wood, and making wood sculptures. I won a 4 year scholarship to Maryland Institute College of Art, RISD, and Cooper Union. I decided to head to MICA and stayed for one year. I realized college wasn't for me =(.

Now I am into restoring and rehabbing city properties, renting them out, or selling them. I have finally gotten to the point where I can begin to do what I love. I am 24, so I have a ways to go. I am going to begin taking seminars around the country soon. I have been looking into North Bennet Street School, however, I will realistically probably only be able to take seminars, as I usually stay fairly busy.

I am in the process now of beginning to stock the shop and so far have what you have seen in this thread, and MM20 bandsaw, legacy ornamental mill, 1018 oneway (courteous of Jim), an X5 delta DP, along with a bunch of misc stuff, such as leigh dovetail jig, benchdog cast iron router lift and cabinet, lots of hand tools, etc.

Now its just time to get the shop together and make some chips. I am moving because the big shop is mainly used for car work, storage, and a garage. My father and brother run around in there, and I am a freak when it comes to neatness and my tools. I have already almost killed my brother for sitting stuff on my table saw, etc. Its a tight shop where I am heading but I can make it work. I am going to hopefully be adding a 10' addition to it this summer so it would be 34x24 which I would love, at the very least I am adding a 4x8 so I can store my dust collection and air compressor.

So thats where I stand, though I know it sounds ridiculous the tools I have for my experience, I believe if your going to do something, do it right =).
http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Rant-Off.gif

Chris Pasko
01-26-2004, 11:28 PM
Wow! Lots of great stuff! There is even snow outside...its beautiful. Enjoy it!
Thanks a lot Mark. If I can get to the level of stuff that you do, I am sure I will =).

More darn snow today! Calling for more tomorrow grrrr!http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Bang-Head.gif

Kelly C. Hanna
01-27-2004, 8:53 AM
Wow....speechless. That's quite a haul in the last few months. I have never touched one by I did see one this year at the show. Next year I'll have to get them to fire it up.

I am upgrading my shop this year. I started with the router table and next up is the panel saw, then a cabinet saw and bandsaw and maybe even a DC system and an air exchanger....the old Ridgid TS went out the door this last weekend and I'm on the portable for awhile.:cool:

Jim Becker
01-27-2004, 9:42 AM
...though I know it sounds ridiculous the tools I have for my experience, I believe if your going to do something, do it right...

Not ridiculous at all, Chris. I believe that when life gives your the opportunity and the means you should take advantage of it. If you can equip a workshop in the manner you are doing at a young age without hurting your family situation, etc., go for it. You might not have the chance later as your life could change in a heartbeat.

Chris Pasko
01-27-2004, 3:15 PM
Not ridiculous at all, Chris. I believe that when life gives your the opportunity and the means you should take advantage of it. If you can equip a workshop in the manner you are doing at a young age without hurting your family situation, etc., go for it. You might not have the chance later as your life could change in a heartbeat.

Thanks Jim, and Kelly for the kind words. I did just that, I have been afforded the opportunity to get pretty much what I wanted, and wanted tools that will last. I have no regrets yet! Thanks for the back up =).

Tyler Howell
01-27-2004, 5:38 PM
Will you adopt me please?:D
What a wonderful opertunity. Best of luck on your new adventures. We'll be looking for more signs of your success.

TJH

Mark Singer
01-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Chris,
Just a couple of thoughts... I am glad to see you are also doing some Real Estate investing! When I started in woodworking my only machine was a Craftstman Radial Arm saw I bought for $100 from my brother-in-law. I was abut your age , it was over 30 years ago. I made some incredible furniture back then with very modest tools: cabinets ,sofas, built in stereo unit, shelving units...and the quality was very high. I was a bit frugile and put most of my money in real estate and and other good investments. It has paid off very well for me. Today I have a terrific shop and for the most part I don't really need to buy any tools unless something breaks. I have friends that buy every new gaget that comes along and they really don't build anything to speak of... The point is to keep it all in balance. You are off to a great start with great equipment! Next year there will be a new model saw, or lathe ...you can never keep up with it all. That is a bad journey to take...New cars always have some new features and they lure us into buying them. I had a ball with my old cheap radial saw..inacurracies and all. Today I truly appreciate the wonderful tools I have. The computers we use are more powerful than the one that put the man on the moon...people really don't use what they have to its potential. I remember when I used to play a bit of 9 ball with my $500 custom cue and and old guy walked in and took my money with a house cue...learn to use what you have! Whatever your weakness are...practice those things...design and execution are both important. Spend some money on woodworking books, Frid , Krenov, Maloof. It is a great passion and the real power is in you and not the tools..

Chris Pasko
01-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Chris,
Just a couple of thoughts... I am glad to see you are also doing some Real Estate investing! When I started in woodworking my only machine was a Craftstman Radial Arm saw I bought for $100 from my brother-in-law. I was abut your age , it was over 30 years ago. I made some incredible furniture back then with very modest tools: cabinets ,sofas, built in stereo unit, shelving units...and the quality was very high. I was a bit frugile and put most of my money in real estate and and other good investments. It has paid off very well for me. Today I have a terrific shop and for the most part I don't really need to buy any tools unless something breaks. I have friends that buy every new gaget that comes along and they really don't build anything to speak of... The point is to keep it all in balance. You are off to a great start with great equipment! Next year there will be a new model saw, or lathe ...you can never keep up with it all. That is a bad journey to take...New cars always have some new features and they lure us into buying them. I had a ball with my old cheap radial saw..inacurracies and all. Today I truly appreciate the wonderful tools I have. The computers we use are more powerful than the one that put the man on the moon...people really don't use what they have to its potential. I remember when I used to play a bit of 9 ball with my $500 custom cue and and old guy walked in and took my money with a house cue...learn to use what you have! Whatever your weakness are...practice those things...design and execution are both important. Spend some money on woodworking books, Frid , Krenov, Maloof. It is a great passion and the real power is in you and not the tools..

Hey Mark, very well said! I agree 100%, and believe me investing is my #1 priority! You have to put the bread and butter on the table first! I always love to hear from ppl who have made a nice living from realestate, it gives me something to really shoot for. So far I love this stuff. It can get a bit irritating at times in the ghetto when its 100+ degrees out, but it all turns out well.

I have lots of books, and have read some great stuff. I most recently picked up an out of print book called "Making Period Furniture" from Fine Wood Working. So far it has been a very interesting read, especially about bracket feet and how to properly support them. I love period furniture and cant wait to get rolling on it!

Luckily I have a great place like this to get some pointers from a lot of great ppl such as yourself and the others on this board!

Mark Singer
01-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Chris,
I love your response. I am here along with the other members to support and help you through. I know we will be seeing some gret stuff from you! Make those shavings...

John Miliunas
01-28-2004, 7:55 AM
Chris, you've been given a lot of positive input thus far and, even though Mark S. has some very profound thoughts on the subject and more talent in his pinkie than I do in my whole being, the one thing about *any* of his posts which stand out the most in my mind, is his signature line. That single, short line tells the story. Well, IMHO, anyway..... Rock on! :cool:

Mark Singer
01-28-2004, 8:39 AM
John,
Thanks as always...be nice to those pinkies...you need both of them and their buddies so careful when your doing your thing...