PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished...and a gloat to boot!

Don C Peterson
08-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I finally finished a bunk bed I made for my boys. It's constructed out of solid White Ash and finished with a Tung Oil/Polyurethane mix. The plans were of my design, which goes a long way toward explaining why it took me so long to complete...

Here's a pic of one of the headboards prior to glue up:

Next is the same headboard with some of my favorite hand tools (all used extensively in building the bed) arranged on top:

Next is the completed bed, and then a close-up of the knock down joint.

Finally there's a pic of my new Walker Turner 16" bandsaw that I just finished cleaning and tuning up. Aside from my Delta 10" contractor's table saw, this is my first stationary machine. The only other power tools that I have are a router, a drill, and a jig saw, so this is a major step into the world of tailed WW tools.

frank shic
08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
it looks like you put that bandsaw to good use. the rails in the head/footboard look like they must have taken extra time to cut to fit to the arched top.

Greg Cole
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Nice job on the beds & nice collection of LN's.....
I like the knock down feature. I too am one to do my own design from start to finish... that's part of the fun for me. Working off a set of prints and cutlists would just be too easy!:cool:

Cheers,
Greg

Peter Gavin
08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow. The bunk bed looks great. And someone sure likes Lee Nielson. I would guess you could have outfitted a pretty nice electron burning shop for what was spent on the hand tools. I think I would choose to go the same way (if I had any money to spend on any tools).:D

Peter

Don C Peterson
08-16-2007, 12:19 PM
it looks like you put that bandsaw to good use. the rails in the head/footboard look like they must have taken extra time to cut to fit to the arched top.

Yes, and no... Yes, fitting the baulisters into the arched rails in the head/footboards took a huge chunk of time and effort. Getting the angles and lengths for each one was a big pain...er...challenge.

No, the bandsaw came too late to be used much for this project. The only thing I used it for was to cut the wedges, but next up is a hall table and you can bet that it will get a workout for that one!

Carl Eyman
08-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Great job! Like everything about it. Can the beds be used separately ehen the boys may not be sharing a room?

Dan McGuire
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Nice Work Devil Dog. Looks like you improvised, adapted and certainly overcame. You should be proud

Dan

Don C Peterson
08-16-2007, 1:48 PM
Great job! Like everything about it. Can the beds be used separately ehen the boys may not be sharing a room?

Thanks and yes, they can be used separately. My wife also pointed out that they are sturdy enough to be used as a tornado or bomb shelter if need be;)

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 1:57 PM
The bunk beds look great, Don!

Jason Garrett
08-16-2007, 4:09 PM
That is a great-looking bed. I need to get started soon on a bunk bed for my daughters. I have Jeff Miller's Beds book, but I think I like your wedged through tenon knockdown joint better than anything in the book. How did you secure the top bunk to the bottom bunk?

Don C Peterson
08-16-2007, 4:23 PM
That is a great-looking bed. I need to get started soon on a bunk bed for my daughters. I have Jeff Miller's Beds book, but I think I like your wedged through tenon knockdown joint better than anything in the book. How did you secure the top bunk to the bottom bunk?

Thanks.

I just went to Home Depot and bought a length (about 3') of round 3/8 steel rod. I cut 4 lengths of about 3" each and then drilled holes in the top and bottom of the head/footboards.

I used a celf centering dowel jig to make sure that the holes lined up and were perpendicular. I countersunk the holes and rounded the ends of the pins so that there would be a bit of "self-guidance" to the whole thing.

Cary Swoveland
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Very nice design and execution. Cary

Roy Wall
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Don,

Beautiful work! Nice!

Private Message sent.....