PDA

View Full Version : AcceliCAD users?

Brian Shutter
08-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I bought a copy of TurboCAD Deluxe 14 a few weeks ago and after using it for two weeks it quit working (unhandled exception error). I've been working with the people at TurboCAD to get it working but after more than a week nothing has changed. I hate to give up on it but to be honest I don't have much faith in them to solve my problem.

I've been using AutoCAD LT for almost 15 years but now that I've switched to a Vista machine I can no longer use my old copy of AutoCAD LT and I certainly can't afford a new copy at $800.

I've been doing a lot of online research to find a CAD application that will work for me. One of the programs that came to mind was IntelliCAD so I checked out their website. I found this statement regarding IntelliCAD and Vista:

"IntelliCAD has passed initial tests while running on an early version of the Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ operating system. Because IntelliCAD is still in the preliminary stages of providing full support of the Vista operating system, the following conditions must be met: log in to Vista as Administrator and disable User Access Control (UAC). Preliminary testing revealed that IntelliCAD may run up to two times slower, and even slower when using the Aero interface. "

But, while at their site I found AcceliCAD. AcceliCAD didn't have the above statement so I am assuming it'll work better with Vista. I had never heard of AcceliCAD until yesterday. I downloaded a trial version and have used it for all of 3 minutes. It works just like AutoCAD LT and it seems like it will fit my needs. It's about half the price of AutoCAD LT which is still expensive but if it works I guess I can afford it.

So I'm wondering if any of you use AcceliCAD. If so, what are your comments? Is it worth the price? I know some of you use IntelliCAD—anyone using it with Vista?

I'd also like to know what other products I should be checking out. I have tried Sketchup and while it's a good product it just doesn't work the same way my mind works. I'm going to stick with 2D.

Thanks for the help.

Brian