PDA

View Full Version : I see what you mean about turning oak

steven carter
08-16-2007, 8:26 AM
Over the past few months, I've read in several posts that oak can be difficult to turn. Some have said they will not turn oak at all.... but I had this piece of oak and just had to give it a try. Fortunately the wood wasn't real dry, but not freshly cut either. I had a lot of trouble with the wood chipping out instead of cutting smoothly. The good news is that with a lot of sharpening and very light cuts, I finally got a this bowl. The bad news is that the LOML just loves the bowl and says it cannot be sold, and she would like more of them! **&&*&^^%^%$^((&%..... oh well. It ended up 8" x 4", antique oil and beall buffed. I guess I'll have to do at least one more.

Patrick Taylor
08-16-2007, 8:35 AM
Nice job with a difficult piece of wood. Oak can be very hard to finish that smoothly.

Grant Wilkinson
08-16-2007, 8:56 AM
That's a beautiful piece. I've made plenty of furniture of oak, but only tried turning spindles and odds to see how it goes. Not fun. You have inspired me to try again.

Frank Kobilsek
08-16-2007, 8:59 AM
Steven

'Oak leaks' That's the story you need to tell LOML. Salad dressing, etc. will weep thru the end grain so she doesn't want to keep this one.

I am told this is true on Red Oak and to a lesser degree on other oaks. The fibers are like drinking straws bound together.

Frank

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2007, 9:18 AM
Nice work on the bowl Steve! Interesting rim design, classic overall shape and a nice finish! I can see why your wife requested additional bowls! Have fun making them and make sure you post a couple pictures of the finished project!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2007, 9:33 AM
Steven....Well done! I've turned a few pieces from oak. Sharp tools and light cuts. They sure turn out pretty but on dry pieces....whew! A lot of work.

Paul Engle
08-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Steven .... one more :eek: ????? uh you better check with the LOYL , that bowl looks great and she is not ... repeat not gonna let you get away with just one more .... ha .... one more my foot :confused: . I said that and ended up making several " one mores " then glueing scrap to make " one more " boxes, the " one more " two goblets dyed for daughter and sil for their anniversary in Sep, and other " one more " things for the gals at my day job, for me there is just something about oak that I really like and I think you see it also. Keep up the great work :D

Brett Baldwin
08-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Think of the "one more" as another exercise in sharp tools and precise cuts. I'm sure all of us can't get enough of that practice.

The bowl really did turn out nice.

John Revilla
08-16-2007, 1:21 PM
Very nice piece, sir. Thanks for sharing this with us. Godspeed.

Alex Cam
08-16-2007, 1:50 PM
Very nice piece!

I have to admit, you're all making me a bit nervous. I was high on the hog the other day after roughing out two oak bowls. It was green as green can be, and cut like butter. I'm thinking that the finish turn might be an exercise in patience? Good to know..

Al Wasser
08-16-2007, 3:35 PM
Ya "done" good. I have turned red oak --- some. The biggest problem I have had is that it acts as if it were charged with static electricity. It sticks to everything and would not just fall off like most woods. It stuck to the turning tools, the lathe, and of course to clothes and had to be forcefully brushed off of everything.

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 4:57 PM
My contractor, architect and myself were chatting earlier today and for some reason, we got off topic. Michael told us about a home he did remodeling work in a couple years ago that had been framed in white oak...a LONG time ago. He nearly needed a nuclear device to cut the stuff. The moral of this story is...turning oak is just great, but it's likely that you'll enjoy it better if it's green... ;) (This applies to a number of other species, too, such as osage orange, locust, etc.)

Tom Keen
08-16-2007, 8:47 PM
Very nice! Patience pays off big time!

If I can get a piece that doesnt crack apart before it dries Ive done ok with it. Black Oak seems to work best on the lathe. The grain is a little more open and it doesnt seem as hard.

Thanks!
Tom

Christopher K. Hartley
08-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Steve, for whatever it's worth that is a beautiful job on that Oak!! Wish we'd see more of it around here. Guess I'll have to start it up again. You did good Guy!! But then I'm a bit bias as some may know!:D :)