PDA

View Full Version : Pricing tools

Rick Potter
08-16-2007, 2:40 AM
I may be selling several tools in the near future. Now, most of them like band saws, scroll saws, etc., are easy to price, but I have a couple tools that I may end up selling, and have no clue what they are worth.

The first is an RBI 12" planer/sander/gang saw/molder. It has the upgraded 5 HP motor, and about 22 sets of molding cutters. It is in good working condition, but the homebuilt molding guide/table needs to be replaced.

The other one is a Ryobi resaw/bandsaw. It is a weird duck, having a 1 1/2 or 2" wide stellite blade, and the motor looks like it belongs on a skill saw....but it is the original one, that's the way they came...really noisy. The odd thing though is that it is made for resawing, but only cuts about 6" thick boards. I know dad paid around $2000 for it (again, maybe around 1985), but I sure don't know what it is good for, since my 14" Delta resaws 12". Perhaps someone could clue me in on what good it is.

I apologize if this sounds like a stealth classified ad. It isn't meant to be. I haven't even decided if I am really going to sell these tools yet, but if I do, I would appreciate some input on what they are worth.

Rick Potter

Ken Belisle
08-16-2007, 8:38 AM
What I have done in the past for tools in good physical shape and completely serviceable is usually 50% of replacement cost. And that goes for all optional equipment or add-on items. I haven't had any problems selling tools using that formula and most buyers, if they ask how I came up with the price, agree that it is fair.

Just my opinion..........

Rick Potter
08-17-2007, 8:10 AM
Thanks Ken. Now if someone can just tell me what that band saw is good for.,

Rick P

Mike Spanbauer
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
The benefits of the unit you have (and the hitachi that is similarly built) is cutting fine veneers from very valuable woods. I believe that instrument makers prize the two units and often will choose them over a more traditional built unit.

They are loud as can be, and look a little light weight when the cost is considered too. but, the stellite blades remove the smallest kerf while cutting the most consistently thicknessed veneers of any blades I'm aware of.

Just a very, very limited market for them. You'll find more information and use cases if you search on the hitachi unit (cf12?)

Hope that helps some.

Cheers,

mike

Rick Potter
08-17-2007, 5:28 PM
Hey, thanks for the info Mike.

Rick P

Larry Rasmussen
08-19-2007, 9:58 AM
If you have one in your area it's the way to go. 50% is the way to go on newer stuff but may be high for some things not currently in production. I am in process of re doing my shop, have sold quite a few items that I upgraded or was not using. Whatever venue you are going to use start studying it daily now to get an idea of not just how things are priced but how fast they go at different levels. I had quite a discussion on this with a guy that came up to buy my router lift- he had also been using Craig's list quite a bit and we agreed on several things:

1. Post pictures, period. Borrow a camera if you don't have one.
2. Post links, my fave is amazon on items with reviews or post to a review.
3. Provide a reference for value. Provide the model # and if in production both the current retail and common discounted price. Example- "This machine lists for $400 but is currently discounted at Amazon to $175".

I know this is trickier with older items but same principals work- Picture, link to info if you can find, reference for value of item.

Good luck,
Larry R
Seattle