PDA

View Full Version : I finally finished my first hollowform

Patrick Taylor
08-16-2007, 12:50 AM
And here's the photo to prove it. It sat roughed and dried for a few weeks while I couldn't tear myself from the addiction of penturning, but I managed to get it done this week. It's 7" x 3", cherry, and the walls are about 1/8" thick. The bottom is more like 1/4", but I hope to get the thickness more consistent in future pieces. Finish is 4 coats of watco danish oil, then 3-step buffed/waxed. I'm happy with the shape, which was intended to mimic southwestern pottery, and don't really think I'd change anything. The bottom is just slightly smaller than the opening, which I think is a good proportion for this shape. I'd love to hear any comments you have; honest critiques encouraged.

Thanks for looking. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-16-2007, 1:33 AM
I believe you accomplished your goal. The piece is lovely.

Bruce

Mark Patoka
08-16-2007, 1:52 AM
I really like it also. I think you're right about the proportion as it has that "just right" look to it.

Dale Bright
08-16-2007, 2:03 AM
Well done, Patrick, it is a very nice peice.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2007, 2:09 AM
A very nice HF.....first or other wise! Well done Patrick! Well done!

Mike Vickery
08-16-2007, 3:20 AM
Very nice piece, the form and finish look fantastic.

Paul Heely
08-16-2007, 7:22 AM
Very nice Patrick. The piece looks wonderful.

Tony De Masi
08-16-2007, 7:27 AM
Very well done Patrick.

Tony

Randy Privett
08-16-2007, 7:32 AM
Very, Very NICE Patrick, well worth the wait.

Randy

Keith Burns
08-16-2007, 8:00 AM
Patrick, you nailed it !! The form is perfect and the finish is to. You've done yourself proud.

Tim Beauregard
08-16-2007, 9:04 AM
Looks great !
I have a couple of questions about this type of turning.
1. How hollow is hollow? Does the hollowed out interior follow the same coutour of the exterior?
2. How thick of a wall does one go for? Paper thin...eggshell thin...or whatever you can get away with? Which in my case would probably be 1/2 inch thick :-)
Since I've never done one, nor read about them, I honestly do not know.

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2007, 9:13 AM
Great HF Patrick! Love the shape, color and finish! I plan to start doing some HFs very soon and hope they turn out as nice as this one! Very nice work!!

Bob Hallowell
08-16-2007, 9:25 AM
Patrick, Very nice I think you did great!

Bob

Patrick Taylor
08-16-2007, 9:32 AM
Looks great !
I have a couple of questions about this type of turning.
1. How hollow is hollow? Does the hollowed out interior follow the same coutour of the exterior?
2. How thick of a wall does one go for? Paper thin...eggshell thin...or whatever you can get away with? Which in my case would probably be 1/2 inch thick :-)
Since I've never done one, nor read about them, I honestly do not know.

Thanks everyone for the great complements. I'm feeling good about this piece so it's really great to hear good things from you as well. Please do speak up if you see something that should/could be improved.

Tim, I'll try to answer your questions...
1. Hollow means completely hollow. The wall thickness is supposed to be uniform throughout. :rolleyes: Mine's close but not quite. A similar type of turning is the "weedpot", where the outside looks like a vase but the inside is simply a drilled hole, perhaps 1" in diameter. They're used as a vase for dry grasses or other dry plants (although you could use a glass tube insert in order to make it able to hold water).
2. Thickness is a personal preference, influenced by wood type, possible voids, preferred weight, etc. There's no "right answer". :)

Shane Nyvall
08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
That looks great Patrick. Keep'm coming.

TYLER WOOD
08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Great job there Patrick. I like the form, and the design of the piece I think you nailed your intensions perfectly. The only thing, and this is personal preference, so take it for being my $0.02. I would have liked a satin finish on this rather than a gloss. Being a southwest pettery you very rearely see a gloss finish on them. But again my opinion and it may stink to you

Patrick Taylor
08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I would have liked a satin finish on this rather than a gloss. Being a southwest pettery you very rearely see a gloss finish on them. But again my opinion and it may stink to you

MAN that stinks! ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the comment. I had the satin finish on it at first but it was sort of missing something. I like how the curves reflect the light with the glossy waxed finish, so I went with it. Besides, cherry takes such a great finish that it's hard to resist!

Neal Addy
08-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah! Finest kind!

There's no going back now, Patrick. You're hooked.

Gary Herrmann
08-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow, very well done, Patrick. I hope to find time to take a stab at hollow forms myself soon. Very encouraging.

Steve Trauthwein
08-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Really nice piece Patrick, I like the shape and the finish. I think 1/8" with the bottom a little thicker are perfect propotions for a piece of cherry like this. My wall thickness is still running a little heavy.

My problem is the opposite, can't tear myself away from trying to perfect the bowl and hollow form turning long enough to build up an inventory for the shows I have coming up this fall.

Regards, Steve

John Revilla
08-16-2007, 1:19 PM
Great piece Patrick. The Monster hollower paid for itself by the artistic beauty of this piece. Godspeed.

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 3:34 PM
Beautiful work, Patrick!

Many folks make this form just a little "taller" in proportion, but your rendition is very comfortable with that particular blank. Nice job!

Mike A. Smith
08-16-2007, 5:47 PM
Well done Patrick! I like the form, finish, top, bottom, etc., etc. Very nicely done indeed.

(Glad to see you trying to break your nasty pen addiction)

Bill Wyko
08-16-2007, 5:51 PM
That's a real beauty Mike. What's next?:)

Patrick Taylor
08-16-2007, 5:59 PM
That's a real beauty Mike. What's next?:)

Huh? Who's Mike? ;) I'll be Mike if it means nice complements!

Phillip H Smith
08-16-2007, 6:28 PM
Patrick....

One word....

Nice....and Wow!

OK more than one word.